1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to back up my get him to the greek

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by redmick, May 28, 2011.

1. redmick

redmick Member

Well actually im also doing toy story 3 and had no success with either so i thought for a start i would work on get him to the greek.
    After reading a few different ways of backing up my DVDS i thought i might try.
    So from what i gather the main process is to rip the dvd with anydvd (6.8.0.0) to my hard drive
    I have done that.
    So i have then tried to then tried to use dvd shrink (3.2) (full disc) and then burn to iso with imgburn (2.5.5.0) but it never verifys correctly
    So today i did the anydvd rip to hdd then used dvdfab 8 then tried to burn image to iso with imgburn but my error was
    "this image has not been mastered correctly for burning onto a double layer (otp track path)disc"
    I have also downloaded dvd rebuilder but have yet to try it as i sort of gathered that the dvdfab did a similar job.
    Am i missing something here or should i be following a different process.
    Any direction would be great
    Cheers
    Redmick

2. TreePro

TreePro Regular member

To make it easy on you why don't you use CloneDVD2 ? It works very well with AnyDVD. These two programs has never failed me. I have backed up Toy Story 3 and Get Him To The Greek with no problems.

3. redmick

redmick Member

OK so i will try that just have to get my head around where clonedvd fits in the process

4. TreePro

TreePro Regular member

You start with CloneDVD,
    1 select copy dvd titles, clone dvd or write existing data
    2 select drive movie is in or folder on hard drive, select type of disc (single or double layer)
    3 remove any languages you don't want and audio streams
    4 select folder you want movie copied to on hard drive (un-check box "DELETE TEMPORARY FILES AFTER WRITING" if you want copy left on hard drive). Also set burning speed to half of maximum of your blank dvd you are burning, then hit "GO"

Here's a guide with steps and pictures
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/full_dvd_to_dvdr_with_clonedvd.cfm

use a good brand dvd, Tayio Yuden or Verbatim with AZO dye burn at half rated speed of disk. These two programs make backing up a dvd easy and Anydvd is fast to up date for new encryptions.

You can use DVD SHRINK to compress if the movie is ripped to hard drive with AnyDVD and IMGBURN to burn, but more steps and takes longer to complete, I only back-up the movie and CloneDVD 2 will complete in 15 to 22 minutes.

5. redmick

redmick Member

Well that did not quite not go to plan haha.
    So here is what i did.
    Had anydvd running.
    Let it check disc first and then i selected it to rip video dvd to hdd.
    Once it had done it thing i then openeded clonedvd2 up and followed the instruction as per your link (thanks for that :)

6. redmick

redmick Member

whoops posted it by accident before i finished.
    The only difference is that i wanted to copy to a dvd-9 rather than reduce the quality.
    And my burn speed i set to 1x.
    I played the dvd to check and in about the third chapter it just froze and then stopped playing and went back to the TV.
    So i thought i might try a different dvd player well it got to 2 secs in froze and the dvd stopped responding to any button.
    I got the disc out by crashing it.
    Then i put it in my laptop and played it up until the same chapter it froze again and i got the message from nero "Unable to read part of the file on the DVD.Playback maybe affected"
    They got that part right lol.
    I am using ritek discs i thought they were supposed to be good??? but maybe it is just a disc problem.
    the description in the centre of the disc is as follows.
    8x DVD+R DL IW NSR 240Min/8.5gb
    If people think its an issue i will see what different brands i can source locally tomorrow.
    Again thanks for the help.
    Redmick

I

7. TreePro

TreePro Regular member

Bad media is most likely your problem. The Ritek double layer had problems at the layer break from what I have read. Use ONLY Verbatim or JVC-Tayio Yuden especially on double layer. Supermediastore.com and newegg.com usually has them around $1 per disk for Verbatims. Make sure the firmware is up to date on your DVD burner as burning double layer is more difficult and expensive.
    I only back up the movie and without extra languages, usually there is little or no compression.(backing up on hard drive you don't need to compress, but I wanted to keep in single layer disc size) I keep a back up on hard drive and use media player to stream through my router to a 52 inch Samsung Plasma TV. The media player up converts to 1080P although my TV is only 1080i, but I have no problem with quality of video.
    Have you played the movie from the hard drive on the computer to be sure it backed up properly. Also try a single layer disc to test burning.
    Unless you like all the extras on DVD discs I feel you are wasting your money burning double layer. Just backing up the movie will start playing as soon as dvd is inserted, especially best for kids, no wait for movie.
    List your computer specs and burner model if you still have problems. Good luck

8. redmick

redmick Member

Bingo your a legend i never even thought of checking step by step.
    Yep the files played no problem.
    So then i tried your next step and burnt it to a single layer.
    Again no problem.
    So i went and grabbed some verbatim 8X locally and worked like a charm.
    So now i can see why when i was using the dvd shrink and iso image burn that it would not verify.
    Am i correct in assuming that after i rip the files with anydvd that i can also use DVDshrink and imgburn?
    Im a little more familiar with dvd shrink when it comes to removing audio etc.
    Anyway TreePro thank you very much for your time and help it been a great help.
    Cheers
    Redmick

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  9. TreePro

TreePro Regular member

Yes, you can use DVD SHRINK or any program once AnyDVD rips it to hard drive. Just click Open Files at top left, select movie file in DVD Shrink. All encryption is removed and region code is removed, so you can play disc anywhere.
    I started about 15 years ago backing up DVD'S as my son was really rough on them. I used most programs at one time or another, but I bought AnyDVD HD and CloneDVD 2 as they have never failed me and really easy to use.
    Any you're welcome for the help.