1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying to burn dvd-r with new Dell 4700

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ccrounse, Jan 5, 2005.

1. ccrounse

ccrounse Member

I have been trying to burn the dvd with the new dell 4700 I have a built in 16x burner. I do not currently have the Nero. Is this what I have to have to burn?
    on my old computer I did have nero and was able to shrink and then burn but it would only play on the computer and not our dvd players.
    I guess what do I need to do?? new at the dvd burner scene???
    any help would be appreciated

2. RussReef

RussReef Guest

Yes... In order to burn anything (even on your shiny new 16x DVD burner) you need a "burn engine" like Nero (or DVD Decrypter if you're only going to be burning ISO images).

If a disc is playing on your computer, but not on your stand-alone DVD player... then, it's likely the media that's at fault. Before you throw out all your media, try burning at a slower speed (like 4x) to see if that might fix the problem.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Make sure your burner is dual format (+ and -). Dell used a lot of HP burners in their computers that were + format only.

Jerry

4. kchev

kchev Regular member

if you had Nero 5 on your old computer then chances are Nero was the reason they wouldn't play on your dvd player
    i had to use copytodvd to burn my movies so they would play on the standalone until Nero 6 came out and they fixed compatibility issues

5. ccrounse

ccrounse Member

Thanks yes it was Nero 5 I had on the old one!
    Thanks!
    I will be downloading Nero 6!
    Thanks!