1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to burn DVD+Rs coming out as beer mats.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ryanreed, Mar 2, 2004.

1. ryanreed

ryanreed Member

Hey guys, brand new to this forum and hope someone can provide me with an answer or at least things to try.

First, my system:

AMD 3000+, XP SP1, 1Gb 266 DDR RAM, 2 HDD Plenty of space, NTSC File System, NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A Burner.

Second, my software used:

Nero 6.3.0.3

TMPGenc & TMPGenc DVD Author

Besweet & Besweet GUI

WinDVD 4

Third, my problem:

I had a movie in mpeg format that I wanted to convert to VOB etc to burn to DVD to watch on my standalone DVD player (Mustek make, checked for compatability with playing DVD+R/DVD+RW's on http://www.dvdrhelp.com).

So I went out and bought a NEC Burner (Type shown above) and some cheap Packard Bell DVD+R's to try my first attempts on, as i've read everywhere about people ending up with beer mats from their first trials.

These discs are 2.4x Max, 4.7Gb capacity.

I converted the mpeg files successfully using the software I had - making sure the sound was converted at 48000 for DVD support and made sure the resolution was one of the correct standards for playing on a standalone DVD player.

This all went very successfully, until I had the VOB, IFO & BUP files ready for burning.

I used TMPGenc DVD author to create myself a motion menu with chapter selection screen and a standard play all button before conversion.

I then tried using this program to burn the DVD, the progress bar reached 100% and all was looking good until I tried it in the DVD Player, and nothing. Well, the player displayed No Disc.

Tried it back in the PC, and the disc wasn't recognised at all.

I then switched to Nero 6.0.0.0 as I thought maybe the TMPGenc burning software might not be up to scratch and have read most places that Nero is the way to go.

I used a good guide to assist me through the process, but ended up with the exact same problem.

I read some guides on here and got some very helpful advice from ScubaPete, Jerry746 & fasfrank from one of the threads on this newbie forum, including trying the VOB files with software.

I tried them in winDVD and they play fine, with all menus working etc.

I thought it might help to list the files below:

VIDEO_TS 14Kb IFO File
    VIDEO_TS 14Kb BUP File
    VIDEO_TS 14,574Kb VOB File
    VTS_01_0 72Kb IFO File
    VTS_01_0 72Kb BUP File
    VTS_01_0 14,588Kb VOB File
    VTS_01_1 1,048,404Kb VOB File
    VTS_01_2 1,048,404Kb VOB File
    VTS_01_3 1,048,404Kb VOB File
    VTS_01_4 996,972Kb VOB File

3.97 GB (4,271,634,432 bytes)

Sorry about the length of this post btw.

Now I have put the file details in here because the only thing I notice is that Nero doesn't seem to be burning the VTS_01_4.VOB file to the disc. I can't tell if it is missing any other files out, and can't check this hypothesis as the disc won't read on my computer nor the standalone player!!!

I was wondering because it was a different size to the rest if there was a problem with my conversion?

If this is fine is it my cheap crappy PB blank +R's.

I'm going to buy some RW's for testing on, anyone recommend which I should go for - a good quality recommendation if possible.

If anyone could help I would be much appreciated, I just can't figure out the problem! Thanks in advance, reedy.

2. ryanreed

ryanreed Member

Missed one thing out... I have put in my software section that I have Nero 6.3.0.3 - I haven't received this edition yet but have it on order. I am still currently using version 6.0.0.0

3. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

ryanreed its not the vts_1_04 file its only that size because its not 1024 meg or a gig after it gets to that size it would just switch to vts_1_05 after that sorry not much help Scuba knows far more on this than I as I am pretty knew to that what you are trying to do also

4. drchips

drchips Active member

Right,

Everything SEEMS to be ok, apart from the burning...

I suggest you try Stomp's RecordNow Max, get if from here:
    http://download.com.com/3000-2646-10066409.html

It supports your burner.
    It co-exists VERY WELL with Nero (uses its own burn engine, no ASPI required)
    It is available on a 30-day trial (no cost).

Buy a couple of Good Quality RW disk for test purposes (cheapies are a no-no while testing/setting up)

Using that program (read the help files that come with the program) will verify that your files are in the correct format & structure, and will also verify that your drive is OK.

If you have a failure with that program, the problem is elsewhere (drive, hardware, windows)...

Have Fun...

5. ryanreed

ryanreed Member

I've just d/l'd this program and there is no mention of DVD burning with it. Also - there is no mention of if co-exsisting with Nero ?! I'm lost - do you use this program drchips?

6. ryanreed

ryanreed Member

Right, tried that program, found out how to burn DVDs eventually using the help system, and attempted a burn with it... All went well until the verification process started and then it displayed this error message:

Error -10 at Sector 16 - Command:28 Sense:03 ASC:02 ASCQ:00

This all seems to be pointing to crap discs... anyone back me up on this or is it a hardware failure?

7. drchips

drchips Active member

Yep,

I do use that software for DVDs.

The error code can be read in the help files.

It is indicative of a hardware error (drive or IDE), but it MIGHT be a result of crap disks.

Try it with GOOD QUALITY media, but personally I suspect the drive!!!!

Can you try the drive in another system?

have Fun...

8. ryanreed

ryanreed Member

What would you class as GOOD media ? I am currently trying Packard Bell...

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Ritek, Fuji, TDK, Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are good discs.

Download DVD Info Pro and check who manufactures your Packard Bell discs. We may be able to rule out bad discs that way. It's free and a great little utility.

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    "And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2004
  10. drchips

drchips Active member

I use Verbatim for my archiving needs (expensive, but have only had 1 failure in over 200 burns - so far!).

I buy in bulk (200 at a time, at trade prices so they are a bit cheaper for me).

Currently the ones I am using are Verbatim Metal AZO dye with printable surface.

Have Fun...

11. ryanreed

ryanreed Member

Right then Nephilim thanks for that advice - - - got that program you suggested and ran a media info scan on one of the blank discs i've been using and it came back with...

Manufacturer ID cannot be read

Does this confirm that they are the crappiest of crap discs ???

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

ryanreed,

A "Big" trucker, "10-4" on the crappy discs -

Try something for me -

Go to msconfig and click "disable All", reboot and first thing, see if your disc will play (although I don't think so -

as the convoy heads over the hill, "Y'all need some Verbatim or Ritek G04 discs, and that's a Big 10-4" :D)

Pete

BTW, Welcome to Trucker Heaven :p

13. ryanreed

ryanreed Member

Reeteo - Tried the old config disabling... and still no joy - took longer to tell me there was no disc, which had me excited for a second!

I'll go out and buy some decent CD-RWs tomorrow (Friday) and see wot the outcome is... will keep ya posted.

14. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

ryanreed read thru this thread 2 times dont see a mention of the media you use ....ok I am well beyond half a bottle of whisky now if you did sorry ....

but what media are ya using? if I missed it sorry

oohh n get DVD NOT CD heh

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I hope the label reads either Ritek G04 OR Verbatim :D)

"P"

16. MysticE

MysticE Active member

17. ryanreed

ryanreed Member

Right, I went out and bought a good ole' 10 pack of DVD+RWs and tried to burn the same VOB files again with no joy - MysticE i've read in more than one place now about updating firmware so i'll give that a go as a last resort =(

I'm gonna end up bald with this DVD burning lark - thought it was gonna be relativley simple once I got the know-how!!

The discs I got were Memorex tho - not Verbatim or Ricoh as recommended by ScubaPete as I read this thread on the Saturday - oh bums!

The Manufacturer information is still not showing using DVDInfoPro - But they weren't cheap! £25 for 10 - have I been ripped off or wot!

Would you recommend I buy one Verbatim or Ricoh for another test or should I upgrade the firmware still anyway???

Thanks once again guys, your all very helpful ! =)

18. CloneDron

CloneDron Member

Ryanreed,
    I have only scanned your post as I haven't the time to read it completely.

But, before you burn any more "Beer Mats" use a DVD-R(W)!!! That way if your burn does go wrong, you can smiply erase it and try again!

19. drchips

drchips Active member

Memorex do not have a good name, too many poor quality disks...

Yeah, you got ripped off...
    Take the Memorex back and complain about the crap quality, ask for your money back or the same value in disks that will WORK!!!!

Verbatim Metal AZO @ £1.00 each (far better quality than Memorex - I use them for Archiving)

Have Fun...

20. ryanreed

ryanreed Member

drchips - Where do you buy your discs from, I can't buy online as I have no credit card to do so!