1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to burn onto new 16X Memorex DVD-R discs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Msmolyar, Nov 6, 2006.

1. JVC

JVC Active member

How about when it burns fine, like the poster finally got it to do, and looks good when you watch it? That would sound like it's compatible media, right? Well, how about six months down the road, when you want to watch it again (same disc, on same player), and it's unwatchable, because the picture freezes and pixellates, and the sound hangs and stutters? How did this same disc suddenly become uncompatible, with the same equipment it worked with before? The answer is very simple:
    Memorex [bold]SUCKS![/bold] What other explanation do you have for this wonderful media?

So yes, we use our experiences (that have nothing to do with firmware compatibility), and other's, who posts them, to warn people what they are likely to experience, in the future. This site and the people, have helped us, so we're giving back, trying to save the ones that aren't aware, their time, money and effort.

If you want to use Memorex, by all means .......please use it, and get it off the shelves, out of our way!

You're not going to change our minds about it, and we're not gonna change your's. You go ahead and tell people to buy Memorex and/or CMC Mags. But when we see you do that, we will probably try to tell the person, the real experiences, that [bold]most[/bold] have with it.
    Good luck! :eek:)

2. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Memorex Sucks,
    Red Hot Pokers shoved up one's Rectum Hurts like hell.
    'nuff said.

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

this has to be the best laugh i have had in a long time...ROTFLMAO!!!!!

im sorry this doesnt have anything to do with this thread, but i seen it posted in creakys profile page so i had to take a look... thanks for the COMEDY creaky......can i have some of those ultra sexy (ty) verbs you have hoarded up????LMAO

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

No cincy, you're only allowed crappy Memorex from now on :p#

Lol

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i save all the Memorex fanboy links as they're almost fanatical. The thing is, we users of top notch (and no more expensive than the 'questionable' stuff) only push it because it works (for us and the majority of people), not for any other reason. If 'questionable' media was good enough for the majority we'd push that too. Any posters that post that they get good results from Memorex/HP/TDK/Imation etc, i ask them to realise that those companies don't make their own discs. If the poster gets good results from the various manufacturers' discs that one of those company uses, then great. My personal worst discs were Bulkpaq Orange 8x -R discs, parading falsely as TYG02's (fake TY MID code and using a widely-supported MID code in firmware didn't resurrect the data from permanent corruption). It took me hundreds of these discs before i had atrocious problems, and before i wised up. Part of that wisening up was to find discs that played & copied fine previously, to be unplayable on various standalone players/various dvd burners & various PC's. i started this thread because of it http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/193298

Anyways, i'm getting like a scratched record.

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Lol not half, I think everyone in this thread is getting to be like a scratched record... :p

But I couldn't miss this!

Hehehehehe! :)

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I was the first one to post a reply in this thread and tried to make it as simple as possible. I tried to explain that Memorex could not be trusted but that you may possibly get a good batch. Not very likely since most of their media is CMC MAG. After over 3 years on this forum I don't need media scans and print-outs to tell me that CMC MAG has the worst blank media out there. Firmware updates may help you burn this junk but as everyone has stated, 6 months from now it probably won't play anymore. I don't understand the way this thread is going. I would guess in over the 3 years here that several thousand members have had excessive problems with the CMC MAG blanks. It doesn't matter if Memorex or some other name like Khypermedia is stamped on it, its still junk. Use at your own risk. If Joe wants to use this stuff thats his choice, but on the other side, we older members have the right to steer members to the better media to keep them from having problems later on.

Joe, you have the right to believe what you want and use any media you want, but don't expect us to just stand by and let new members think Memorex/CMC MAG media is OK to use. This forum is all about trying to give the best information possible in all areas. We will keep trying to do just that.

Jerry

8. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Andrew691--
    I can't vouch for the 100+ people and all their variations; but of all but two of those posters who did have problems and did mention their drives and firmware versions, the problem was a known incompatibility. A firmware update would have improved their experience with those MID codes.

JVC--
    "How about when it burns fine, like the poster finally got it to do, and looks good when you watch it? That would sound like it's compatible media, right? Well, how about six months down the road, when you want to watch it again (same disc, on same player), and it's unwatchable, because the picture freezes and pixellates, and the sound hangs and stutters? How did this same disc suddenly become uncompatible, with the same equipment it worked with before?"
    It would appear to be compatible, but it may not be. There are four possibilities that describe the symptoms:
    1) The drive's default setting was close to compatible but not compatible enough or the settings chosen by the drive engineers were not ideal. Measuring I14H (the voltage from the photo diode reading the long land area) would have show the proper voltage. Measuring I14/I14H (the peak-to-peak value of the smallest pit/land ratio to the value of the land reading) would also show low values. What these measurements would show is that the definition of the pit edges is too low a contrast. This low definition deteriorates at a faster rate than a well defined pit, and the change leads to jitter problems and the pixelation after a few months. These measurements are two that firmware engineers use to measure a decent setting for the laser diode write strategy.
    2) Poor disc quality. There are nearly a hundred different specifications defining quality, from the geometry and integrity of the stamper to the viscosity of a hard coat and the effectiveness of the exhaust fan in the coating chamber. Most of these problems will cause immediate or near immediate failures. Failures over a period of time can be due to unstable dyes (the most stable is Fuji's Oxonol according to recent tests), imperfections in the mirror layer deposit, or to misapplication of adhesive in DVDs that creates radial or tangential tilt over time. (This problem also appeared in early printable DVDs as the coating cured over a longer period than expected.)
    3) A production change in the disc that made it different from the reference disc used to set the original firmware. This is a very dangerous step if it is done without changing the MID code altogether because the changed discs will misbehave in all formerly compatible drives until new firmware is set. I consider such a running change as a quality issue of "inconsistency." There are times, however, when it makes sense. The original Verbatim DL discs that hit the market were quite different from the reference discs used to set the first DL drives that were rushed to market before they should have been. Unless these first drives were updated, they did not record on Verbatim discs well at all. (Of course, to some people that would make the discs "suck"!) The running change made sense in this case because there were so few of the DL drives in the market and Verbatim was the only DL disc for quite some time.
    4) Improper handling or storage conditions. This is not likely to happen for experienced Afterdawn members.

So there are two likely causes: quality or compatibility. Since so many Verbatim discs are manufactured by CMC using the same production lines and materials they use for other customers (the dye can vary from MKK azo-cyanine to other azos, cyanine, or Oxonol; but the other materials are standard), one has to admit that CMC knows how to make a good disc, whether or not they actually do. Since no one who has complained about disc quality has ever mentioned physical flaws (dye comets, sputter mask imperfections, oxidized spots in the vapor deposited layer, poor edge cleaning--all very visible flaws), one suspects that any quality problem lies in tilt problems or other difficult-to-measure parameters. However, as I noted, those few who do mention their drives and firmware versions typically have mismatches that are known in the industry. A firmware update will only improve compatibility if the firmware engineers FIXED it in the update. Some incompatibilities remain after multiple updates simply because the engineers overlooked it.

9. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

If you cant beat them then try to confuse them with "Big" words...DUH!!

Joe ryan must have copied this from somewhere else...I dont believe anybody who defends memorex and CMC could be that intelligent.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Lmao, it does take him an awful long time to write these replies it seems. But to be honest, most of it is merely repeating himself, diggin a deeper hole for himself, talking about logic and garbling on about Memorex.
    I, for one, don't value your opinion as a member of aD anymore.

11. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

Alot of that info is probably quite correct for most incompatibility issues.
    Would never be enough to convince me to let anything CMC/Memorex near my burner, but was very interesting.
    After all my bad experiences with them and reading about alot of other people having constant problems with them, i would prefer not to take my chances. Whatever the cause is, they still stop working after a few months and i dont have the time or money to be needing to reburn my movies every few months

12. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Damn, I'm convinced! Where are the Memorexes on sale now? I need to rush out and get myself some of that excellent quality media for myself. I'll be throwing out some 500 Ty T02s any takers NOT! LMAO

@Joe Ryan don't bogart that number, pass it on you've had too much already!

13. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

ok guys take a breather im new here i have no bussines saying some thing but i will how in the world can you sit there and make this so technical joe damn doggy you need to be teaching at college man this isnt about hypothising or anything its all about opinions and personal expierances i dont care about the math of it as long as my problem is fixed thats it so what that about media this media that tell you the truth everyone has to expierance everything i come here for ppls opinion and thoughts and i conclude at the end what i will do or not do thats it bro have a drink relax if you can help with problem go ahead you have a personal expieriance to share fine the more the better but your making a mountain out of a mole hill you have to get use to the fact THAT PPL HAVE OPINIONS and they will share them the world revolves around this in case you didnt notice its not about the tech manual its whats between the lines if there bashing something well to me that tells me something is wrong and if someone else is praising it well now two conflicting reports well then guess that means im going to have to figure it for myself and see which side i take at the end after my OWN expieriance and give MY own personal thought on the subject just let it goooo This Site is Da BOMB i went from a beginner to a novice in like 3 weeks since i got on this site i value everything here and if their opinions can save me from tragedy bring it that will keep the beginners motivated to keep on learnig and thats what where here for.....

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@chop2113 - well said

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  15. JVC

JVC Active member

@chop2113.......
    Agree....well said, [bold]I think[/bold]! Not positive though! Your post was extremely hard to read! Looks like you need to learn the concept of using punctuation (.,). :eek:)

When I saw your long paragraph, I read a line or two, and saw you don't use periods or commas. So, I quit reading it, and moved on to the next post. When I read what Creaky posted, I went back, and tried to read your's again. I finally got through it. Please, in the future, use punctuation. In fact, you should edit your post here, and add the punctuation, so others will read it. I think most people will quit, like I did, when they see there's no periods or commas.
    Thanks.

16. res2cue

res2cue Guest

lol!!! what JVC said... I just went through the same steps.

17. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

hold on now this thread isnt as comical as it once was. to many people makeing logical post, how am i supose to laugh at logic. common sence logic a that.

i to must agree with CHOP2113 when i first came here back in feb i didnt have a clue as to what was going on with the burning world. not saying i know everything now far from it, but it is the expereince's people have and have had is what makes this place great. if everyone said the same thing about the same things there wouldnt be no need for a discussion over it. thats how you learn from trial and error and what others have tired and error'd on.

so for my part to add to this i will agree with evryone that has made a post in here. granted i only use vebs and tys but i have had some of those memorex disc that coded out a mcc's. used about 25 of them (my father bought them for me not knowing better) but they coded out as MCC not CMC. i had 2 burns fail dont know if it was my doing or the disc. dont care just know it was a bad burn.. the other 23 disc so far all play great and it has been about 3 months ago when i got them and they still play.

its all about what works now and what will work down the road. i hope they will work a year from now, but only time will tell. and that goes for any of my own burns cause what each person does is different we all have about the same stuff to do this with (except creaky and his ulta sexy verbs)not everyone does it the same but we all try to achive the same thing a good backup....

well i guess im done ranting. hey this alomst looks like a post from my buddy docTY guess some of his knowledge has rubbed off on to me. there has been some jedi training there..lol

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  18. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

19. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Sorry JVC. i just write as im thinking. never was good at punctuations but i redid it to make it easier.

20. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

chop2113--
    You bring up very good points. The opinions expressed here are based on trial and error. People recommend what works for them. That's fine. They can also warn people against what fails to work. However, when they render quality judgments ("crap," "garbage," "landfill only") based on opinion and not on quality parameters, those judgments are invalid. The opinions are valid; the judgments are not. Quality judgments must be based on specific test parameters. Everyone seems to miss this distinction. (Note: I have NEVER recommended any disc except those that most people here recommend because they are both excellent quality and highly compatible. Most people have also missed this point. I have access to CATs test equipment and test reports, so I can see true quality measurements.)

cincyrob--
    Those discs you have that coded out as MCC are identical to Verbatim discs. The MCC MID code means that the MCC stamper produced them and Mitsubishi azo-cyanine dye is the dye on the discs. They are as reliable as any Verbatim discs.