1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying to decide how big of an HDD to get

Discussion in 'PS2' started by chimera47, Jan 23, 2005.

1. chimera47

chimera47 Member

could someone tell me exactly
    how much usable space would be on the following drive sizes

80GB
    120GB
    160GB
    160GB

thanks

2. superstui

superstui Regular member

well i got a 120 and i'm almost out of space...

I've only had it for like 2 months

3. chimera47

chimera47 Member

so how many games did u put on there?
    basically I'm trying to find out
    how much space would be unsusable depending on size of the drive

4. VOD3N05

VOD3N05 Guest

the bigger is hd the better...
    160 is good, but u can get 200gb as a price of 160gb...

i notice that when u buy a hd on store, its more expensive than buying on internet...
    buy on internet much cheaper..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2005
  5. superstui

superstui Regular member

well i got like a least 20 games.
    each games is between generally 2-3 GB. I have some games thaT ARe less then 1 GB and some that are more then 4.

If you get a hard drive that is over 127 you will need a special patch for the hard drive.

6. CatttDadd

CatttDadd Member

Get as big as you can afford just make sure its a Maxtor

7. delafoo

delafoo Guest

Well, I'm a modding newb, but not a PC newb!

You will have to decide on the HD you want (Unbiased commment).

However, if you look at circuit city's web cite, you can read reviews of many hard drives out there...

The hard drive that seems to give the most GB for the dollar is Lacie (do a google search for that name). I just got a 250 GB External HD for 165 ! It is supposed to hold up to 80 DVDs.

I've heard good and bad things about Maxtor. Seagate is good also but costs more. Lacie is just as good.

hope that helps.

8. superstui

superstui Regular member

i definitly reccomned a maxtor. By the way, like I said you wont' be able to use more then 127 GB. unless you have a patch, and that mean you will need a mod chip, or swap magic, or hook up your PS2 to your computer to use the patch.

9. zscfb

zscfb Member

no way just get a 40 gig dude dont waste all your money because the games are 2-3 gigs you can fit atleast 15 games on there so just do that and when you beat those games just delete them off the harddrive

10. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I have a 120 gb, I have installed about 20 games now. They range from 800mb (HD loader uses 1 gig for them) to 4.5 gigs (hdloader uses 5 gb for them) I have just over 50 gb left of space. Hdloader says my hd usable space is 117 or 118 gb. So right now I am just over half full. I expect to get another 20 games on there before it is full. So with a 120 gb hdd expect between 40 and 50 games to fit.

It sounds like you prolly dont have a modded ps2 so you dont want to go any bigger than 120 gb though since your ps2 will only allow you to use 137 gb of ANY drive larger. So if you buy a 200 gb hdd you will only be able to use 137 gb of it, as oposed to the 117 you get from 120gb.

Also by the time you get all 117 gb full you will be able to get a 200+ HDD for pretty cheap, so you can always pick one of those up in one year and transfer all your games over later.

BTW: Maxtor has close to 100% compatibilty with the PS2, if you take that other guys advice and buy that brand I never heard of before you run the risk of not having it work. It may be a better brand of hdd, but it is NOT a better brand for working on the ps2

11. superstui

superstui Regular member

yea if i were you a 120gb maxtor no question.