1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to figure out what to use and what brand

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Ebener12, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Ebener12

Ebener12 Guest

Ok, I just bough a LaCie 16x d2 DVD+-RW Double Layer burner. I am looking to copy and burn my DVD collection, burn dvd's, copy and burn my cd collection, and burn cd's. What is the best type of media for my needs....+RW, -RW, +R, -R. And what brand do you think would work the best? Thanks alot and any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello ebener12, Welcom to AD. There is a lot of good and a lot of crappy media floating around.Instead of finding a media for your backups,you may consider where you are going to play these backups. Your stand alone player/s will decide this.High quality media will take care of most of these problems.If you want to burn - format, maxell -4r are very good "yellow tops".code #mxlrg02. If you want to burn + format, verbatim + 8x's are doing a very good job for me.I accidentally burned a few at 12x with no problems.Ty's are considered the best.Don't buy a huge spindle to start with. You might want to play around and find out which works best for your pc and stand alones.RW's are a little pickier to play on some stand alones but nice to practice with.Are you buying media over the net or local store? Many people post what is on sale and where at.Here is a couple of links to check out. Download this program: http://www.dvdinfopro.com ,this will give you the code of your media. Then look that code up here: http://digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia/htm .Sticking with 1st and 2nd rate media will keep most problems from ocurring.I have burning for a few months and still playing around with different brands. Just got some sony -4r's that are working pretty good. Staples has both + and - spindle of 25 for $10.00. The -4's are coded sony 0401.I don't know about 16x media. The faster you burn,the more chance for errors.I usually do 4x unless I try a new batch and want to really give them a good workout at 8x.Need any ripping or burning software, try dvd shrink and dvd decrypter . You can get them and the guides free here. Later

3. Ebener12

Ebener12 Guest

So Since I have a 16x Burner can I buy a good brand name 16x CD+R, DVD+R or -R, -RW media disks? Thanks and let me know how that works

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey evener12, the only 16x media I have checked out is verbatim at staples.I noticed it was made in taiwan and that turned me off from purchasing it.Bye

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

If you look at the specs for your burner it will probably burn cdr's up to 40 or 48x. The 16x probably applies to the max speed it will burn a dvdr meaning it will burn any media rated between 1x and 16x.

6. Ebener12

Ebener12 Guest

So can I use +R/-R with my burner?

7. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

Ebener12@19. December 2004 @ 20:26
    Yes you can use + and - media with your burner. Keep in mind that DVD-R media plays in more older stand alone players than DVD+R. If your DVD player is relatively new, then either one will work fine, no discernable difference at all.

8. 222333444

222333444 Member