1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to fit 10 hours of video onto a DVD... help!

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by gators1995, May 27, 2012.

1. gators1995

gators1995 Member

Hi. For a school project, I'm trying to fit a bunch of videos (60 to be exact) onto one DVD disk. The original videos are in avi format and there are about 10 hours worth total, taking up about 28GB. I also have converted them into mp4 and mp2 format. I have at my disposal both 4.7GB and 8.5GB disks. Nothing seems to work though and the videos won't fit. Yes, I could go to 2 or more disks, but the disk(s) might have to be copied and sent to a bunch of other students. In other words, fitting them on 1 disk is great, more than 1 disk, not so good.

Can this be done? By the way, when I convert the videos to mp4 format, they take up less than 1GB and play great in my Sony PS3 and Blu-Ray player, but the professor I'm creating these videos for doesn't have a Blu-Ray. Thus, I am stuck with the DVD format.

If it can't be done, I'll either go with the multi-disk approach or tell him to buy a blu-ray player.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

the only way you'd possible get all them videos to fit on a single dvd would be to shrink them to a point where the quality would be terrible and not worth watching.I'm thinking you'd be better off putting them on a usb drive.

3. attar

attar Senior member

Unless it's ten hours of talking heads, it may be hopeless.
    You could try running a test on one file using DVD Flick.
    Load the AVI then click on 'Project Settings > Video > Target Bitrate > Custom' and in the Custom box, insert a low value like 1000.
    Click the 'Advanced' button and select 'Half horizontal resolution'.
    'Accept' back to the main menu and 'Create DVD'.

Play the files from the output folder and see what you think.

Note, before creating the DVD files, under 'Project Settings > Burning', turn off 'burn project to disc' and 'create ISO', for now just use the files on the output folder.