1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to get my PC to play HD DVD movies

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by RottenKid, Nov 3, 2007.

1. RottenKid

RottenKid Member

Ok,

Ive spent about 2 months researching to see what i need to watch hd dvds on my computer IN FULL QUALITY!!!! no of this half ass (i dont have the rightvideo card for hdcp so you get to watch at half quality.)

Ok,here is what i got.

EVGA: 7950 GT KO (HDCP enabled (says on box))- ddr3, 512mb

Samsung 226BW 22" LCD - also says HDCP capable

Nvidia driver version - 6.14.11.6371 (9/17/2007)

rest of pc: 2GB ocz 400, amd x2 oc'd to 2.7Ghz

Now the cyberlink advisor say i dont have an hdcp capable lcd, and it says the driver doesnt have it either....now i dont have the software or the xbox hd dvd player yet....can any one tell me what im missing, or if im good to go.....

Thanks

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

well your missing one thing....... a hd dvd drive, without this your hd dvd's WONT PLAY, NO EXCEPTIONS, there aren't that many on the market right now, these are the only that come from credible makers.
    (check ebay you can get them cheaper)

you can tell if your drive supports hd-dvd by checking the driver, or more simply looking for this symbol on the front of the tray

[​IMG]

http://www.compumusic.com/p302836.htm - $370

http://www.excessbuy.com/storefront...aspx?sfid=121040&i=236667528&mpid=9115&dfid=1 -150 (the same one as the link below)

http://store.luluusa.com/ts-l802a.html -$195

TO ENSURE highest quality make sure your graphics card is connecting to your monitor through DVI
    looks like this
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2007
  3. RottenKid

RottenKid Member

Yea I got DVI to my monitor... I forgot on adding more info to my first post, but it wouldnt allow me to edit my first post..

Yea I got DVI, and as for the drive I was hoping on getting at Microsoft Xbox drive and hooking it up via USB

4. tripplite

tripplite Guest

5. RottenKid

RottenKid Member

Hmm, i was pretty sure all you needed was to hook it up via usb, not get one of those notebook to pc adapters.....that way is probably faster.

But are you sure it only works with vista?
    I thought it worked with xp, well here:
    in my research. all the sites were old:
    some said vista 32bit only, some said different, some said XP only, atleast for the codec....I was never 100% sure..I guess that is my biggest question.....

6. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

@Rottenkid

I think with XP you have to install some drivers. There's a link to some drivers in the first article tripplite linked above since that deals with an XP system. I have Vista and an ATI 2600XT so there wasn't anything to do on my system. It was basically plug and play. There's other articles on the innertubes if you just do a search.

7. tripplite

tripplite Guest

YES most of the mods are intended for xp, i gave you a link to a guide for installing xbox360 hd on vista, the other one was the only hack available so far to run the drive on xp (it's much easier then it looks). there hasn't been a softmod (software modification) created yet, wait 6 months and one might come out by then (or as soon as the hd dvd/bluray war heats up)

my only question for you is your last comment
    "codec"

the definition of codec: Codec stands for Coder/Decoder. Basically it is a piece of software or a driver that adds a support for certain video/audio format for your operating system

did you mean firmware, or possible some other technical term?
    if you want any further information please ask!!

8. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

hi i hearing somebody says
    xbox hddvd player works with vista home premium and ati 2600
    when they talking about ati266 what does it meanplease
    help
    iam very interested in buying with my dude (sharing)100 dollars of each
    i want to be cheap since the format war is not over

9. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

To play a DVD HD on a PC you need Vista or XP, a dual-core processor running at 2.5GHz or more, and a decent fairly fast video card. You also need a DVD HD drive (the xbox 360 drive qualifies) and software to play the DVD. Your hardware also needs to be HDCP qualified or you have to run AnyDVD to thwart the HDCP protection. LG has a dual HD/BR combo drive but it seems to be in short supply.

Right now things are really a mess. There are only two commercial software players available. One is a version of WinDVD and its pretty sad. Most have been using Cyberlink's Power DVD Ultra. Cyberlink has now crippled the program so that it won't playback HD DVDs or BluRay DVDs ripped to the hard disk drive. They also put in a trap to defeat playback for BR disks if AnyDVD is present. There are some workarounds. Most like to rip their titles to a media archive for playback on the HTPCs, plus it protects the original disk from abuse or damage since it isn't needed to watch the title.

nVidia's 8600 and ATI's 2600 were developed with HD DVD playback in mind. Unfortunately either they've messed up the drivers or Cyberlink is messing around since acceleration isn't really working -- hence the need for a beefy dual core or better CPU to do software decoding. The disks are getting more difficult to play back due to the increased protections the studios are incorporating on the newer titles. It's not too bad for HD DVD but Blu Ray is a different story. Media Player Classic can be kludged to do playback of the movie only (no menus). There is another program available in Japan but not here yet, Softarc's TotalMedia Theater.

I have a dual core Vista system running at 2.3GHz and an ATI 2600XT video card and can, so far, playback most HD DVD titles with a few bobbles from the Xbox 360 drive. Transformers maxes out my CPU at 100% at times. I cannot playback Transformers from the hard disk at all. Earlier titles playback fine from the hard disk.

My advice is to wait a while if you can to see how this all shakes out. The past couple of days have left some disappointed HD users with the changes to the PowerDVD software. Although older versions are not crippled, they cannot playback some of the newer titles apparently. HD playback is easier than BR.

Edit: text added below

I should add Nero to the list of commercial software for playing back HD DVD and BR content. I'd forgotten about it since I haven't personally tried it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  10. RottenKid

RottenKid Member

yea it looks like im gonna wait it out, i didnt know that cybelink became disabled if anydvd was present, what a rip off, i dont understand why they even care. They sell a product to perform a task, why do they feel that they have to push users around, all because you use program that could be considered illegal (providing users use it in a non legal manner) In that case shouldnt we ban the internet because sicko's use it to exploit children....well im getting off topic

Thanks for your help guys!

11. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

I'm guessing Cyberlink was pressured to cut the playback from the HDD by the studios. The studios never wanted their content to be playable on PCs in the first place. They preferred playback on standalone players to thwart copying of their content. Since they hold the BR keys which Cyberlink needs, they have the power. Someone will eventually put together a software HD player that does what people want. There's supposedly a new PowerDVD patch coming out Friday so we'll see whether they are putting the HDD playback in or not. They previously announced that the feature had been dropped.

12. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

I think your somewhat mistaken when it comes to Cyberlink Powerdvd ultra and HD dvd playback. An older version I was using wouldn't play from the HDdvd folder(ripped with anydvd hd) but if I created an iso from the folder and mounted it with daemon tools it worked fine. The newer version I'm using now will play it directly from the folder. While playing back Transformers in a high action scene my cpu was at 50%. I have 8600gts's in SLI and an amd x2 6000+ 2gb ram
    and every HDdvd movie I've rented from Netflix plays very well at full resolution.

13. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

It's the newest version 3319f that has crippled playback from the HDD as files and caused the commotion. Cyberlink customer service has told people who've called that feature has been removed and that they can request refunds. Apparently many have. You are correct that virtual mounting is an option for HD DVD users. BluRay users have additional problems that are harder to workaround right now. Right now the older and newest PDVD software works for the HD DVD users. What happens when newer titles won't play and you need a PDVD update? It wouldn't be that difficult for Cyberlink to write a hook that IDs the drive and causes the program to refuse to play for a virtual drive. To overcome that someone will have to write a hack that provides a real drive ID, i.e., Toshiba DVD/HD X807616, to the virtual drive, etc. Going back to earlier versions is an option for HD DVD people but not BluRay as the newer updates allow them the ability to play the newer titles. Even going back to earlier versions is a bit difficult as Cyberlink provides the patches to apply to older versions and not the full versions. Thus you can't go back without starting over from your original version and patching forward. That's why I suggested the member wait a bit before jumping in. All of this happened just in the last few days.

Not everyone can playback Transformers without problems. There are several of us with 2600XTs that are getting overloaded. My CPU is at 20-30% for almost all titles with the exception of Tranformers. That title ranges from 70-100%. Playback from the disk itself is generally good although more CPU intensive than others. Playback of the title from the HD as files or virtually mounted is problematic for some of us. We don't know why or why this title is different from the others.

I'll just end by saying playback from my Toshiba HD-A2 is superior to that from my xbox 360 Vista system w/r to Transformers.

14. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

That's interesting, I guess I don't have the latest update. I think I'll keep it as is for now. Thanks for the info

15. z0diac

z0diac Regular member

Yah really - CyberLink is just hurting their own sales when the potential buyer finds out that it has limited functionality when run with other programs - a limitation that CyberLink itself put in. Why CyberLink would limit their OWN software because of a 3rd party program is beyond my comprehension...

16. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Only the BluRay users are affected by having AnyDVD running, it seems. They can use AnyDVD to rip to their HDD, construct an ISO, virtually mount the ISO, disable AnyDVD, and in most cases play the title. Where you can run into problems without AnyDVD is when you either have nonHDCP compliant hardware or hardware that is compliant that PDVD refuses to recognize as such. In that case without AnyDVD running, you won't be able to play the title. PDVD sux in many respects but right now there isn't anything else available that works as well.