1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to make a DVD with Music Videos

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Dragan123, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Dragan123

Dragan123 Guest

OK people, I just got my first DVD burner for xmas and I want to burn all my music videos on a DVD. Size wise they will fit on the DVD using a total of 4.25gb. I would like to be able to view them on my PC as well as my TV.

I was going to search the forums for some help with this but I was not sure what exactly to search for.

Do I need to convert the videos into other formats? They are a mix of mpg, avi, and wma files. I was thinking that just for my PC that I could just burn them all to the DVD as a data disc using Nero but that didn't work. All the files burned and it verified successfully but when I try to get to the disk through explorer it doesn't see any files on the disk.

I have checked out the DVD-Labs program and find it very confusing for someone who has never done this before.

I am using a HP Invent zv5000 laptop with these specs:
    AMD 64 3400+
    512mb DDR Ram
    GeForce 4 440 Go 64m
    NEC DVD+-RW ND-6450A 8x
    100gb HD with 55gb free

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Have you tried NVE 3(NeroVisionExpress)? It will allow you you to convert the files(It also converts faster than most of the other file conversion apps), add more than one file, create a custom menu for your compilation so you can navigate and go to any file you wish, set chapters, compress, and burn to DVD all in one app.

It even has a software remote control with which to preview your work and make sure it works and allows you to make any changes you wish before you burn to disc.

It comes in the Nero Ultra 6 suite, an entire suite of audio and video programs which you can use for free each and every month for the entire month til you decide to buy(which I highly recommend). You must reinstall it each month and then you are good to go for that month.

Here is a quickie guide I wrote that may help you get started:

http://www.zentarium.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43

3. Noel

Noel Guest

Is the link OK? Didn't work for me.

Ah! Worked this time, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2004
  4. Dragan123

Dragan123 Guest

I downloaded the Nero version from your link, but after I installed it and ran the program, I dont see Vision Express, is it like built in? or a seperate application in the Nero suite?

PS Vols? BAH GEAUX TIGERS!!!

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Here's the trial version link, remember the DVD plugin must be installed for NVE 3 to work properly. It is free for Nero Ultra 6 buyers. The trial version is good for the entire month each and every month. It must be reinstalled each and every month when it runs out.

http://www.ahead.de/us/neroue-prog.php

Here is the update link for Ultra 6 purchasers:

http://www.ahead.de/us/nero-up.php

Remeber NOT to DL and install pack #3, InCD. It is packet writing software you don't need and has been known to cause problems with DVD software.

BTW, if you're talking about LSU Tigers, they 1st need to make it to the SEC Championship before they can go any further,LOL.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  6. Dragan123

Dragan123 Guest

Hmm I think i got it working so far, but it wont let me edit any of the videos, also I can only get about half of the vidoes to fit on 1 dvd. I checked the total size of the temp dir I made for them and it is 4.25gb, a regular dvd holds 4.37 correct? What am I missing here?

7. Dragan123

Dragan123 Guest

BigO you still out there?

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

LOL, I'm here. It's New Years Day man! Tennessee is playing Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl, That always takes precedence over DVD burning,LOL.

Do you have the DVD plugin installed? Also what are your steps up to where you can't edit?

9. Veblin

Veblin Active member

You do know that most other formats of digital video are more highly compressed than the MPEG-2 format used with DVD-Video.
    That means that when converted to DVD-Video they will get larger and less will fit on DVD-Video.

For Example:

One hour Windows Media Video, 400kbps, 320X240.
    Windows Media Video 9 and Windows Media Audio 9 compression.
    Size 165MB

When added to NVE3.
    The automatic quality setting for transcoding was. Super Long play.
    Size .83GB

Click More >> Video Options > DVD-Video
    Changing the Quality setting:

High Quality
    Size 4.17GB
    Standard Play
    Size 2.23GB
    Long Play
    Size 1.53GB
    Extended Play
    Size 1.18GB
    Super Long Play
    Size .83GB

In this case depending on the quality selected the output as DVD Video was 5 to 25 times the size of the original highly compressed Windows Media Video.

10. Dragan123

Dragan123 Guest

Ok well for the NVE Express, I just added the files to the project via drag and drop from windows explorer 1 atta time so NVE can do its thing with each file. It wont read some of the files that I have (the avi's and divx files). Anyway, when I get a list of videos up on the list, I would right click on the file and the 'edit' command is grayed out, the only thing I can change about the video is the title.

Another question, I have been tinkering around with DVD Labs for the past couple hours and I think I got the basic idea, though there are some problems that I am still trying to figure out, such as some files aren't able to be split correctly either I get no audio on some or no video on others. Though I got most of the files added, I am up to about 60 or so out of 115. The question is would it be better and easier to use a program that would convert all of the files to mpeg2 format then try to split the audio/video streams in DVD labs? Seems like it would be easier that way to me

Let me know what you think.

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

OK, 2 big days of football this weekend with 2 more to go,LOL.

BTW, thanks veblin for the input. He is 100% correct, those files are gonna be much smaller before you convert them to Dvd compliant files.

Ok well for the NVE Express, I just added the files to the project via drag and drop from windows explorer 1 atta time so NVE can do its thing with each file

Sounds to me like you're using Nero Express, not NeroVision Express. They are two different programs. With NVE you don't click and drag files(tho you could), that's in Express. NVE pops up a window after you hit "add files" where you choose one or more files(by using the Ctrl key) and then converts those files after a few to many minutes depending on file size. It will convert more formats than Nero Express. Then NVE lets you edit, create menu, add chapters, etc. after your files have been converted and added to the window.

I use Divx, mpeg, and avi all the time in NVE 3 and never have had a problem unless the source file is screwed up. If that's the case it won't matter what you use.

If your edit button is greyed out either you did something wrong or you don't have the DVD plugin. Did you look at the guide and follow it?

In Nero Express you can click and drag your files to Express' window, but it only burns, it won't author or anything like that.

I use DvdLab Pro all the time, it is one of my favorite authoring proggys. However, it's harder to use than NVE 3 which is why I recommend that to people who have never authored a DVD before.

My take is if you can't use NVE 3, then DvdLab is gonna be much more difficult for you, but hey, you know you better than I know you,LOL.. DvDLab or DvdLab Pro has a 30 day free trial, you may also want to check out DvD Santa. It is a file conversion app if that's all you're looking to do. I was under the impression you wanted to author a DVD, not just convert and burn to DVD.

12. Dragan123

Dragan123 Guest

Well, now that you describe it it was NVE that I was using. At the time I posted I didnt remember which one but I do know.

For some reason I kinda see alot better what dvd labs is doing with the files so it helps me to understand what is going on. I dunno I guess I just weird lol. Anyway I tried what I said with converting all the files that I couldn't get to work with dvd labs, some still didn't work but more of them did.

So total I got about 75 or so to split the audio and video. I played around with the menu designer(do I really need to make a menu?)Didn't really worry to much about it because I didn't know if I needed it or not.

What I am trying to accomplish is just to take all the videos and make the able to play on a dvd, that I can use on my desktop and laptop, and if possible to work in my dvd player.

So anyway, after I got all the videos I could work to split the a/v, I hit the compile dvd button and waited for it to finish. I check the burn after compile button, so after it was done it went straight to burning, it seemed to complete the burning with no problems, but after it was done, I put the dvd back in the drive and it didn't bring up the autoplay menu in xp, that was my first clue it didnt work right, then I tried to browse to it through explorer and it says the disk in the drive is not accessible.

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

If you don't care about a menu, there is no need to learn NVE or DvdLab. Just use a straight file conversion app like TMPGEnc or Dvd Santa. (altho I think NVE does a better job than TMPGEnc converting files, but each to his own)

DvdSanta is very easy to use, and is a straight file converter. It has a free trial.

14. Dragan123

Dragan123 Guest

First off thanks for all the help and your patience with dealing with me hehe, I really appreciate it!

Now I have used TMPGEnc before and I really didn't like it, cause it just confused the heck outta me. SO I will try out NVE again, and that dvd Santa and see what I can come up with.

Again thanks for the help, I didn't think that burning a dvd would be this difficult.

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I didn't think that burning a dvd would be this difficult.

LOL, actually it's not. But the hardest part IMHO of burning DVDs is file conversion and authoring(creating menus, DvdLab Pro, also programs like DvdReMake, etc.) You are really getting into DVD structure with authoring programs, thus the degree of difficulty rises. Tho it is one of my favorite things, a lot of people don't care for the time involved in both learning and executing.

As far as conversion about the only thing I convert is TV or VHS(that can't be got on DVD) for the most part, since DVD's quality far surpasses anything on the net.

But in response to your statement, making a backup of a DVd is really pretty easy with the software they have out nowadays.

Also, I do think that Dvd Santa might well be what you're looking for, it is pretty straight forward and has a simple interface for just straight file conversion. I believe the trial version does leave a watermark tho, unfortunately until you buy, but it's fairly cheap. 25.00 or 29.00 I believe. here's a link:

http://www.dvdsanta.com/buy.htm?zyyzsw

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  16. Dragan123

Dragan123 Guest

Well after I posted my last message I went ahead and downloaded DVD Santa, played around with it a bit, and have pretty much gotten it figure out, the file conversion part that is. It is pretty simple, just a couple things that I noticed, if I try to select a bunch of files and throw in into the add media window it crashes the program, which is understandable that's alot of info and stuff to work with at one time. So I tried just adding like 5 or 10 atta time and it worked great. After waiting for it to encode all the vidoes that I could fit onto 1 dvd (gonna take 2 because of the increased size of the dvd format) I go to the next step actually burning the dvd, here is where I am hitting a problem.

On the preburn screen:
    Source = c:\tempdvd\video_ts\
    I input my title
    the data size reads at 4415mb, 98.4% of a 4.7g dvd
    Destination it has my dvd burner _NEC DVD+-RW ND-6450A 2.36
    Burn Proof is checked
    I set the write speed at 4x
    # of copies = 1

Now when I hit the burn button it goes to the burning window and does nothing lol.

It says Writing DVD in the window with the progress bar but it doesn't do anything at that point, I figure it might take a bit for it to initialize so I let it sit for about an hour and the progress meter never moved.

Did I forget to do something?! I didn't get any errors during the encoding phase. Completely stuck here. The dvd's that I am using are Maxell DVD+R 4.7gb. I read somewhere here that you should have very good media for burning dvd's and basically to stay away from any media that was not manufactured in Japan or Taiwan, these are manufactured in Taiwan.

Let me know if you can think of something. Thanks!