1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying to rename file says i have to be administrator

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by DopeFreak, Apr 11, 2017.

1. DopeFreak

DopeFreak Regular member

i cant seem to rename this file i have to rename in system 32 for my via port. need to rename it with .bak on the end but says i need to be administrator and i already am i dont understand im on my adminstrator account i sware it i edited the permissions and gave full control to my account and still didnt work any help would be great thanks. the file name is vsmraid.sys for some reason its like the only file i cant rename all other system files allow the administrator to rename

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

what about trying safe mode.The other option use puppy linux or linux lite to do whats required.Both are live cd's.Puppy loads into ram while linux lite runs from disc

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

interestingly something with a name like that would suggest it's running at above admin level.. probably system.. and chances are it's currently in use.. being raid config or something.....

4. Mauriso

Mauriso Newbie

By default, the system files are granted modify rights to the "TrustedInstaller" user. To modify or rename system files, you have to take ownership and grant full permissions to your account.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Is the file on your main hard disk? Right click on the file and then choose "properties." In the top menu choose security, and then look at the group user names listed. Click on each name and then click edit and then check everything under allow except special permissions because it will probably be grayed out. If that doesn't work then click cancel and it will take you back to the previous window where you will click advanced. Then at the top select owner and you will be taken to a list of users. Know the one that identifies you as the user and choose it, select it and apply.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

File names can't be changed while in use like ps35 said & why i suggested linux,however op never replied so assume its sorted