1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to rip a movie

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by shwaggy, Jan 4, 2008.

1. shwaggy

shwaggy Member

Ok, I have been a reader for a long time here but never had any real questions I couldn't solve myself about this topic.

I have recently procured a dvd screener of 2 movies from a family member who said I could rip it and burn it for myself so I could have the movies at home. I got Juno and There will be blood. I used dvd decrypter on Juno and it worked perfectly. Then I tried there will be blood and no luck. It freezes at 47_1.vob but has no error just stops. IIt is actually a 2 disc movie and it freezes on both discs at the same time. I figure that it has some encryption that dvd decrypter couldn't decode so I tried rat dvd, smart ripper, and DVDFab HD Decrpyter full version. They all froze again when it got to that part. Does anyone have any other Ideas I could try because I have to give back the screeners in 3 days and would really like my own copy since it is such a great movie!

Thanks in advance for any information you can give...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If it is a DVD screener, probably the encryption is not what is the problem. Maybe the disc is damaged. Any scratches?

3. shwaggy

shwaggy Member

nope its perfect they both are and its a 2 part disc and both have the same freezing point.. I dont understand its like unrippable hah..

4. shwaggy

shwaggy Member

Anybody else have any ideas or things I should try?

5. classfour

classfour Member

Two different discs freezing at the same point - no damage to the disc, or new encryption. If other discs froze at the same distance from the hub, I'd suspect the laser transport mechanism on your drive has stuck or crapped out at that point. The only way to know would be to insert a disc that is 100% or close (or a double layer); and see if it will play to the end (or change layers). If it doesn't you have your answer.

If this doesn't point the way, I'd research the movie - see if there is some new encryption being applied.

6. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Borrow an external burner and see if it reads correctly.Good call classfour!

7. shwaggy

shwaggy Member

Is it wierd that it read the disc perfect with no flaws when playing on the computer?

8. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Just because the DVDs play okay, it doesn't meant the data can't be corrupted. It is possible to burn a DVD copy, it all plays good, but when you try to make a copy of the copy, you discover can't rip it...because you burned the copy too fast, poor media...You get some CRC errors and the DVD can't be copied.

You can try a data recovery tool:

http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/ trial period.

Isobuster or
    http://lifehacker.com/software/featured-...lbox-292729.php free

9. lasttears

lasttears Guest

Since the DVD can be played well on your computer, it should be a new protection. I suggest you try SPAM. Maybe you can succeed.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2008