1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying to use speedfan

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dragnandy, Dec 20, 2008.

1. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

my two front fans on the NZXT Tempest dont seem to push enough air even though i cleaned out the filters. So i bought a fan extention splitter, so i plugged the two fans to the motherboard. Then i tried to use speedfan so make the fan go faster, but i dont know how. can somebody help me use speedfan? i tried fiddling with the things, but nothing seems to change.

i watched some tutorials on youtube, and on speedfan, the 3 fans (i think its the cpu fan, and 2 front fans i plugged in using the splitter). and on speefan its already at 100% and its running really weak, and when i change it to like 50 or 25 percent, it doesnt change. so im doing something wrong here. any help?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Speedfan is for slowing fans down, not speeding them up. You can't force a fan to run faster than it should be. The reason why the front fans don't seem to move much air is because they are intake. You can't feel intake air moving over your hand anywhere near as much as exhaust air coming out, partly because it's room temperature, so your hand doesn't notice it as much, and also because it is not a direct channel of air. Imagine a cone or wedge shape, a fan blowing air out onto your hand will only have effect of the area from the fan itself, the thin end of the wedge. Sucking air in, it has the whole room, or the thick end, to get it from, so the same amount of air comes from a larger space, so there's less movement. In short, the front fans on the Tempest are perfectly adequate.

3. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

well if theres nothing i can do about speeding up the fan speed, is there any 120mm fans that you would suggest? i know the nzxt fans are OK, but i would like to get something better or more sufficient.

hows this?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998121

oh yeah, would getting a fan speed controller help? or would it have the same purpose as speedfan?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Same effect, I say before, you can't speed up a fan beyond its maximum speed without overvolting it, which can't be done inside a PC, and it will also destroy the fan pretty quickly. Suit yourself on replacing the fans, it's completely unnecessary, and will make the PC far louder.