1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D acting strangely

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by NerfedAga, Jun 11, 2009.

1. NerfedAga

NerfedAga Member

Sorry to revisit an old topic, but has anyone found a way to correct DVD writable drive problem where the computer recognizes the drive is present, recognizes when a blank disk is placed in, but treats the drive as if it were CD instead of DVD? When I try to create a disk, I get an error about no writable media or recordable device found.

I found this thread while doing a Google search for my problem and one particular post by DDP (moderator) caught my attention. He (she?) recommended this solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060

Here (almost) is where my problem began. It actually started with the Look2Me virus getting into my PC via an external HD. After removing the virus with the cleverly named Look2Me Remover, both my DVD-ROM and DVD-RW ceased registering on my PC and nothing was working to get them back.

I used the above Microsoft solution which restored my drives to a usable state. They show up again when I click My Computer and read CDs just fine (all I've had need to do up til now). I didn't realize I was still having problems until I went to back up some files to free up space on my primary HD. For the past three days, I've been trying every idea anyone hands me with no luck. (Every idea except for my grandfather's, he suggested I take a hammer to it.)

I've been told (and/or have read) update drivers, update firmware, check to make sure Autorun status isn't set to 0 in system registry, check secondary IDE to make sure its running in DMA instead of PIO mode. Right now, my DVD drive is no better than a crummy CD-ROM and its pretty frustrating for a non-tech oriented newb like me. :(

2. attar

attar Senior member

Have you tried un-installing the channel that the burner is connected to (under IDE controllers) and rebooting.

3. NerfedAga

NerfedAga Member

Absolutely. Upon reboot, the device is detected and resumes limited function as it was before.

4. attar

attar Senior member

Which burner software are you using (Imgburn, Nero etc - I'm assuming that this is an XP machine)