1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuning DVD recorder thru Set Top Box

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by grantr, Jan 20, 2007.

1. grantr

grantr Member

Hi everyone. Don't know if what I am trying to do is possible but hopefully someone out there will know. Due to poor TV reception (I am in Melbourne, Australia by the way), I was forced to buy a cheap SD Set Top Digital Box (TEAC) which works great and the picture is now 100% however when I tune in my Pioneer DVD Recorder it tunes thru the outdoor aerial and therefore picks up the poor picture so whatever I record from TV is going to come out poor. Is it possible to tune the DVD recorder "thru" the Set Top Box so it picks up the better picture. If so can someone please tell me how I would connect this. Thanks.

2. grantr

grantr Member

Anyone?

3. quint

quint Guest

connect your dvd recorder to your digi box using a scart lead

4. quint

quint Guest

off the top of my head

u will need 2 scart leads

connect your out door arial into digibox 'arial in'

connect one end of scart lead into the digi box vcr (video cassette recorder socket) and other end into dvd scart'decoder' socket

connect 2nd scart lead from dvd tv out to your tv

5. grantr

grantr Member

Thanks for the suggestion Quint however my Digi Box, DVD Recorder and TV all don't have scart connections. I have tried connecting them together with just the normal AV connectors but to no avail. Guess I'll just have to put up with a crap picture thru my DVD recorder!

6. JVC

JVC Active member

I have my digital cable box going into my recorder. I'm in the USA, but that really shouldn't make a difference.

I have the cable company's 75 ohm(RF?)cable, going from cable box to the tv for pic, and a digital coax going from box, to surround receiver, for audio. Then I have the red, white, and yellow composite cables going from cable box to recorder. Then, it's just a matter of selecting the right input, to record(on recorder), depending on whether you plugged the cables in the front or rear inputs. You can't use channel 3 or 4 setting, on the recorder, to record from digital cable. Digital cable's signals are like satellite signals. You can't use the regular tuner. You use Line In settings. Your owner's manual should explain this in more detail.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  7. quint

quint Guest

try using arial connector type leads leads i.e. outside arial into digi box arial 'in' then a lead from digibox out (i.e. tv out socket) into dvd 'in' and then a lead from 'dvd tv out' to tv. This might work. however my dvd has to have scart leads. give it a go.

8. quint

quint Guest

aghh I think u have alraedy tried that!?

9. TRAVELMGR

TRAVELMGR Member

I have a 15 yr old Tandy signal amp which had helped me in the past with weak over the air broadcasts. At the time, Radio Shack used to sell a great shielded 300ohm wire, which performed better than the standard flat and was less expensive than buying coax. The combination of the two gave me an improved incoming signal.

10. randy9660

randy9660 Guest

hey it should be as easy as hooking up a VCR the old way. one way is put the cable into the input. then out to the TV. tune DVR to a channel like 3 or 4 or what ever is not in use locally. another way is depending on your DVR, might be labled input one,two the set it to record either the channel you use or the input you use! should be very easy! just like a VCR! thats how i have mine hooked up!