1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turning on DMA

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by gizmotw, Mar 3, 2005.

1. gizmotw

gizmotw Member

I've been using DVDShrink/Decrypter for months with no problem. Suddenly, like so many others are reporting, I've had trouble encoding. Not just one movie, but many. I've been trying to figure out if its my drive, the discs, etc... I've gotten "invalid access memory location" errors among others. I've tried AnyDVD and that has not changed things. One thing I have noticed from several other threads is the question of 'is DMA on?' I don't know what that is, but in checking my system, it's on for my CD drive but off for my DVD drive. Does anyone know how to turn it on? I've tried uninstalling the drive, uninstalling the secondary IDE channel hoping windows would turn it on when it found new hardware, but this didn't work. Any other ideas?? Thanks

2. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

Check your bois. Some have a setting for DMA.
    http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/DMA.html

If you feel brave, back up your reg keys and try one of these;

http://users.bigpond.net.au/ninjaduck/itserviceduck/udma_fix/

From Bill G.

3. wild77

wild77 Guest

4. gizmotw

gizmotw Member

Thanks for the help but.... In Device Manager, under Secondary IDE Channel, Properties--I have no Advanced Tab. I only have General, Driver, Details, and Resources. Why is this? (WinXP SP2 Home)So I tried the other advice again, about deleting the channel all together and letting Windows turn it on when it found new hardware, but this did not work either. I'll see if I can find something in the BIOS at next boot, but if not, what next?

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

gizmotw

What is your MB? [bold]If[/bold] you are using the Intel Application Accelerator software package with some boards it replaces the ATA drivers and might be the reason behind it. [bold]If[/bold] that is the case, you can go into Add and Remove Programs, look for "Intel Accelerator" and remove it and then reboot. This was supposed to give you a 3-5% increase on those drives.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  6. gizmotw

gizmotw Member

I bow down to you in awe; that was genius. I installed Intel App Accelerator a while ago and forgot all about it. I never really thought it made much difference in terms of speeding anything up. As soon as I uninstalled it and rebooted, the Advanced Tab was back in Device Manager and DMA is now on! You must have dealt with this issue before to pull that trick from your hat. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I have it installed on one of my PC's and was just discussing this with Flip218 a little while back since he also had one of his PC's with Intel Application Accelerator. He removed his way before I removed mine. So you can thank both of us! :) Just wait till someone else asks that same question and you let them know how to fix it. <G>

8. gizmotw

gizmotw Member

OK, I will thank you both for getting DMA back on and running. Unfortunately, it turns out that was not the sourse of my problem. I'm still getting constant error messages while running Shrink/Decrypter when I'd been using them for months without a problem. I tried playing several DVDs in Windows Media Player to rule out the software, and they played with skips and starts; it would play for several seconds, then go still a second or two, then play several more seconds... I'm guessing now that the software is not the problem at all- it just can't function properly with whatever other issue I must have. Could my memory be going bad? The interface cable? Any ideas?
    Thanks again

9. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

If you have Win XP and suspect it might be some system change, take the lazy man's way out: use the System Restore and go back to a date where your PC was running okay. It's saved me quite a few times from having to troubleshoot every nook and cranny. Just remember it'll undo every system change to that point so you'll have to remove Intel App Accel again.

10. gizmotw

gizmotw Member

Thanks, but rolling back didnt seem to help. I've defragged, run AV, AdAware-they dont find any problems. I'm at a loss (again) as to what to try next.

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

12. gizmotw

gizmotw Member

Thanks, but that didn't help; I tried Decrypter again, this time checking all the VOB files- they all have a key with them (I've tried with AnyDVD too). I still think that the problem is not the disk, the encryption, or the software. The telltale sign for me is that basic Windows Media Player (ver.10) cannot play the DVDs smoothly. That tells me the issue might be hardware related, like a cable or something. Is my logic wrong? (wouln't be the first time)