1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

turning ps2 off and on

Discussion in 'PS2' started by aXidburn, Feb 1, 2004.

1. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

which is the real way to turn the ps2 off?.....to use the off button in the back or hold reset?

2. caza

caza Member

IF You hold reset you are putting the ps2 into standby so the real way to turn it off is at the back.

3. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

the TRUE and the REAL way is to pull out the cord out of the socket that way no power is getting to the ps2

4. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

so its not bad to turn it off in the back everytime?

5. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

its like a dvd player- its always in stand by- its not using any power unless the system is ON- when its on standby- it only use power to light the LED. i leave mine on standby all the time because i have so many components, i cant reach behind it LOL

6. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

ps2 still use power... but only 2W.... while it's on it's use 50W... just like my reciever usualy it takes 2W while in standby... but when it's on it takes a whooping 400W... good thing they tought about the standby in the ps2 unlike in the ps1... on n off.. on n off.. on n off... the poor thing can brake that way...

7. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

i guess so- but 2w isnt exactly going to raise the electric bill :)

8. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!!! it's better to be 2W than 400W :\

9. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

ywhat i am asking is if its bad to turn off the ps2 in the back everytime i turn it off. and everytime i turn it on i turn it on in the back....will the wear down the ps2?

10. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

not really.. it wont brake.... if the switch brake you always can buy another one... the power on/off switch is sold around the world in that special store called electronics shop... or another magical place called a pc hardware store... in the end you choose the way to turn the ps2 off either if it's standby or off or contant on...

11. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

it doesnt realy matter- its just more convieninet to not reach behind it.

12. _D3DAiM_

_D3DAiM_ Regular member

I think it's better to turn the ps2 off in the back, because in standby mode you leave your ps2 open to power surges that can blow the fuse.

13. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

well its not very hard for me to reach behind and hit the off button..lol....does anyone have like the manual that came with the ps2 that says the real way or something?

14. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

well most people have a surge protector anyway so we can plug in all of our gizmos in the first place- anyway why does everything have to turn into a debate? it doesnt matter- do as you wish.

15. _D3DAiM_

_D3DAiM_ Regular member

Pcshateme is right. I you have touble reaching the back, turn it into standby mode. If you don't it would probably be better to turn it off all the way. I just turn it off in the back... No more debate, I have yet to find someone who have fryed their ps2 because of thn=e incorrect to turn your ps2 off.

16. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

The way I turn my ps2 off is....
    1. Turn ps2 into standby
    2. Hit the switch in the back

17. account

account Guest

i turn my ps2 also buy just putting it into stanby or i put it in stanby then turn if off from the back if you have the fliptop you can look what happens when you turn it off while playing what happens is the laser stops in the wrong place im not sure if it would hurt the ps2 but i wouldn't take chances but if you want to go ahead.

check out my site http://jgames.50megs.com

18. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

when i turn it off i hit the reset button, not hold the button, it doesnt go into stand by but it just goes into normal when putting a game in...after i hit the reset button i turn it off from the back

19. zerogod

zerogod Member

just like a computer which the ps2 is basically like.
    you just dont' unplug your computer or press the button to shutdown cutting off all power instantly... you take steps.. u prepare to shutdown... click shut down in windows, then u power off.. so like ps2, holding reset is putting it in standby, preparing to shutdown, then turn off at the back.. or just leave it in standby...

i think that's the basic way rigth way to do it!!

but that's just my opinion

20. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

what i do is hit rest, eject game, hold reset (than the disc tray goes in and it turns to standby.