1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[TUT] HOW TO PLAY ISO/CSO 3.40 OE-A

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Homebrew software' started by dvaesedum, Jul 5, 2007.

1. dvaesedum

dvaesedum Member

READ THE WHOLE TUT! In the end you will find this very very easy. Do not be scared, you cannot brick your PSP now, it is all very simple. Now you are at a point where you can play those $50 smokin games for... *whispers* free

***UPDATE*** The custom firmwares from the M33 team are coming out. Already out are 3.51 M33-7 which means it is 3.51 m33 with the 7th update, you inly install the newest update if they come out, and 3.52 M33 which came out very recently. They both have a support of Sony's ISO loader, and instead of having to put a UMD in the tray, you can play without one. Kudos to the M33 team and I suggest you guys upgrade, use the legitimate way, do not use installers. Here is a great tutorial for 3.52 M33 which I used: http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-firmware...m33-custom-firmware-get-help-here-114268.html

GOOD LUCK WITH ISOS, the process is still the same for the M33's as well, instead of disabling the NO-UMD option, you click till you get to Sony NXXXXsomething something or M33 Udate driver something, and you won't need a UMD in your tray to play ISOs and CSOs***

If you are fair, you will close this tutorial, and wait until the game is on sale, and buy it then, but if you are a greedy cheap bastard, you will read this tutorial and learn how to do it!

Ok guys!

THIS TUT ASSUMES THAT YOUR PSP IS MODDED, THAT YOU HAVE A CUSTOM FIRMWARE OR SO. THIS TUT ALSO ASSUMES THAT YOU ARE NOT A NOOB AND ARE FAMILIAR WITH THE BASIC FUNCTIONS AND TRANSFERING FILES TO YOUR PSP, AS WELL AS GOING TO THE RECOVERY MODE WIHOUT PISING YOUR PANTS.

First off, you need to have a 3.40 OE-A custom firmware installed. There are automatic installers, look around the forum for it, or post here and I will give the link to the auto installer for 3.40 OE-A. To learn more about custom firmwares search.

Ok, this is a tutorial that should teach you how to setup ISO's and CSO's so you can play them on your custom firmware.

PREFERRED CFW (custom fw) 3.40 OE-A

Before you begin, pray for Dark_AleX to be back on the scene, and wish him luck in life!

I DO NOT ENCOURAGE PIRACY! BUY THE GAMES! However, here is a tut because I want to help the comunity!

NOTE: TO PLAY ISO/CSO YOU MUST OWN ONE LEGIT UMD, CANNOT BE A MOVIE, A DEMO DISK COULD WORK, BUT A LEGIT UMD IS A MUST IN YOUR DRIVE AT ALL TIME!

Whether you have a fake 2 GB or a magic gate supported SanDisk mem stick, you have to reformat it from the PSP. This will create all the stock folders, and the ISO folder as well, so you do not have to worry about a thing

Make sure you back up all your songs, gamesaves, pictures and such that you do not wanna lose.

After you format your memstick from the PSP, go to USB mode from the PSP, and put your ISO or CSO file image in the ISO folder. If your game is not in ISO or CSO image format, then post and I will provide you with UMD gen and then you can create the image

Once in USB mode, copy/paste or drag/drop your image/game into the ISO folder in the root of the stick.

Now, get out of USB mode, and check in the game section, under memory stick or so, check if the game is there.

Ok, so since you checked that the game is there, turn off your PSP completely.

To turn off your PSP completely, you hold the off button for about 7 seconds, and it will be off.

Now you will need to go to the recovery mode. Hold the R shoulder button, and while holding it, turn on the PSP, you will see a blue MSDOS looking screen. DO NOT PANIC, nothing scary.

In the main menu in the recovery mode, scoll down to configuration, enter it by pressing X and do the following:

To disable an option, just highlight it, and press X, if it says ENABLED, then you click X to make it DISABLED

Use no UMD: Disable it

I have FAKE REGION at disabled as well for some reason, make sure it is like that

FREE UMD REGION" have it disabled as well

IMPORTANT UPDATE TO THE TUT:
    SET GAME FOLDER HOMEBREW TO 1.50 KERNEL. HERE IS A LINK TO ANOTHER TUT WITH PICS. LOOK AT THE RECOVERY MODE PICS FOR REFERENCE.

Ok, now go to back, and back out to the main menu.

Now scroll down to ADVANCED, and then go to ADVANCED CONFIGURATION

Disable all of 3 options in there.

Back out, and exit the recovery mode. Now you migh have lost your wallpaper, so set your wallpaper again if you had a picture as your wallpaper. Nothing scary

Ok, now go to the game section, scroll down to Memory Stick, before you launch the game, press triangle and see if your card is fake or not, post here if it is or not, to determine that, it will either say it is magic gate suported which means its legit, or if it doesnt than its a fake. Either way post it.

Now, after you've checked that optional thing, you can launch the game. It should work

NOTE: You might have to do those options sometimes over and over in case they reset after a while

You are done with the tut! Good luck! Post for any help, and sticky this thread mods!

Shoutouts to: backvamp for helping me run my own games and Dark_Alex for creating this awesome custom firmware

TIPS BY POSTERS:
    (these are tips other users posted in this thread)

dEEz_nUtz

_ 6. July 2007 @ 00:15 _

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  2. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

Nice Tutorial...

I have 2 memsticks-a 2GB (fake) and 4GB (genuine)-guess which one I use in my camera now?

From what I have read, as well as experienced-these are common issues with fake memory sticks:
    -Games not showing up in the menu
    -Games refuse to load-even though there is nothing wrong with the iso
    -Gamesaves become corrupt data icons
    -Cannot load more than one or two games at a time onto the memory stick
    -data becomes lost once you power off your PSP
    -cannot copy/paste to and from your computer-data becomes corrupt-mostly with videos/movies and iso games
    -problems loading homebrew applications/games
    -problems with emulators

My recommendation, and I am sure other members will agree-is to get your memory from a reliable source and not from eBay.

3. DEVINRL

DEVINRL Regular member

dont say that........ ebays the dopest!!!!!! you can get offical sandisk seallllled memory sticks over there.... ANYWAY... BIG QUESTION... i cant get my ps2 roms to run on my emualtor...it looks like its about to load then it says... CRC32 NOT CORRECT CPU1.... is there something i need to fix or just something i need... please get back soon thanks.

4. valsair

valsair Member

This is my First Post I got a Datel 4g Hard Drive and it says
    magic Gate unknown under the information.The Game Shows up and plays music before i run it but then i always get an error message 80020321
    is there any thing i could do to fix this or do i need to get another memory card?
    Thx

5. dvaesedum

dvaesedum Member

This is my First Post I got a Datel 4g Hard Drive and it says
    Since i am the creator of this tut, I get to typer in bold red when I reply.

Ok, are you sure you disabled all the options in recovery mode as stated in the tut? The no umd option in configurations is disabled? The 3 options in advanced are disabled?

You usually get that error when you do not do anything in recovery mode.

Read the tut again, and you must do the disabling in recovery mode. It is really easy. It is all there for you

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  6. dvaesedum

dvaesedum Member

I only know how to run PSP games bud, for roms and such, I think you should see somewhere else.

7. dvaesedum

dvaesedum Member

True. In case somebody does make that mistake, they should reformat it from their computer if the card becomes corrupt. Format under FAT32 only.

I do suggest people go to radioshack or walmart.com and purchase a legitimate SanDisk for some $20 more, but it is worth it!

DO NOT BUY FROM EBAY!

And dude, I bet you are using the legitimate one, because your camera wouldn't recognize the fake ones am i right?

8. valsair

valsair Member

Got Game Working I guess i need a umd in the psp
    Thx

9. kingbling

kingbling Member

Hey, when I followed your steps (disabelling all 5 things) I get the error code for GTA: LCS.cso 80020321. I see the game in the memory stick, but it freezes when I try to load it. Any ideas?

Cheers

10. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

@dvaesedum-yeah the 2GB barely even works in my camera-and was garbage in my PSP...Thats why I got the sandisk, and that solved all of my problems...

@kingbling-if you are getting that error, that means you need a UMD game in the drive in order for it to play.

11. kingbling

kingbling Member

dEEz_nUtz, I do have a game in the UMD slot...although it is a old game (gretzky hockey)

12. dEEz_nUtz

dEEz_nUtz Regular member

That shouldn't matter-as long as its a game and not a UMD movie..I use my GTA:LCS UMD with the 2.00 FW update to load my games-but most of mine work without the UMD inserted anyway....Have you ever been able to play that game at all on your PSP? Or,does it work if you try it on a different PSP? Try to enable the "noUMD" in the recovery console, and see if that works..if not you may want to try and find a different iso.

13. dvaesedum

dvaesedum Member

I use my GTA: LCS unpatched as well, that game is proven to work with everything since it is also used to downgrade

14. dvaesedum

dvaesedum Member

Since the game shows and launches, then the placement of the game is ok. Now, you must have a UMD, I am not really sure if it has to be newer or not, even though you have gretzky hokey. If you have a friend with a PSP borrow his or her newer UMD and try, if not, check if all the options were reset, because on some PSP's the options reset when you turn it off, you might have to set them up in the recovery mode every time

15. dvaesedum

dvaesedum Member

Since the game shows and launches, then the placement of the game is ok. Now, you must have a UMD, I am not really sure if it has to be newer or not, even though you have gretzky hokey. If you have a friend with a PSP borrow his or her newer UMD and try, if not, check if all the options were reset, because on some PSP's the options reset when you turn it off, you might have to set them up in the recovery mode every time

16. crockman7

crockman7 Member

ok.. ive done everything that needs done, my SD is legit, and i can not get games to load. i get the error messege 80010002 with no umd, and the screen just stays black with a umd in. any ideas? thanks

17. dvaesedum

dvaesedum Member

ok, do the whole thing once again, make sure the 3 options in advanced are disabled, the no umd is disabled, the free region is disabled and all that. do all that while the umd is in. i dont know what else to tell you, other than you should try with another game

18. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

Great guide, dvaesedum!

Nice to have you take the time and contribute to the forum. Keep up the good work.

Informing mod about stickying this.

19. Samikox

Samikox Member

Thank you very much for the guide! Though I just got my psp yesterday and I have question to ask, apologies in advance if it is noob. I ended up getting a memory card off of ebay and found out today it was fake. :( Now I have followed all the instructions in this guide and I have found that my psp isos will not work. However, my psx eboot as well as snes and n64 roms work fine (At a slow rate though). Will buying a new genuine psp memory work with my isos? Will it run faster than a fake? I am probably going to go with a sandisk.

[Edit]
    Sorry I just read the whole thread again as well as another post and regarding a similar issue. Sorry for this post!! Al though again I extend a thank you for a very helpful guide.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  20. dvaesedum

dvaesedum Member

Thanks, it is you who helped me help this community. You told me to disable the advanced options. If anybody has any suggestions about re-organizing this tutorial as well as improving it and adding on more info to it, please post here!