1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial: Flashing Samsung with iXtreme/VIA Card

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by owvp702, Jun 1, 2007.

1. owvp702

owvp702 Regular member

What’s Needed:
    Xtreme Boot Maker
    FW Toolbox (optional- easier to just use the make iXtreme Firmware file included in firmware package.)
    iXtreme firmware package
    Connectivity Kit (optional)
    Floppy Disk or Flash drive (flash drive recommended)
    PC with VIA Chipset I used this one with no problems http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124022
    Toshiba Samsung MS-28 or MS-25 Drive

Using XBM 5.3
    1. Obtain any samsung firmware package xxxx.rar ( Xtreme52.rar will work, or other if update as above)
    2. Download, install, and run XBM5.3
    3. Go to tab General Options / open firmware and select the firmware file xxxx.rar
    4. Only if you have a MS28 select Apply Bokes Patch
    5. Select Use Custom Controller
    6. Click List SCSI Controllers ( or List IDE Controllers for some on-board Sata )
    7. In the scroll down select your controller:
    -Via VT6421
    -Via 8237
    -Some 8237 will sometime appear as DUAL Standard IDE controller
    8. Go to tab Create Basic disk
    9. Deselect I want to Flash multiple Drives and enter any number like 1234567 12345
    10. Leave the Xtreme firmware and Hitachi-LG sections unchanged since we will not be using the firmware generated by XBM.
    11. Select the Format / Make Drive Bootable and in Destination Drive the letter associated to your USB (or floppy)
    12. Click Create Disk
    13. On the USB I suggest you erase the Xflash , Xread, Samtool, Xtremefw.bin files.
    Note: Since you not using the firmware included by XBM, any samsung firmware file will work to genereate the USB key.

Getting your orig.bin
    1. Connect you PC sata cable to the X360 Drive (some have to do this after step 2)

If using Connectivity Kit then connect it to your 360 DVD drive and connect a spare molex connector from your pc to the connectivity kit and make sure both buttons are in the “UP” position on the connectivity kit; OR if using 360 for power then make sure to have video plugged in to the 360 otherwise it will time out and could brick your drive.

2. Start your x360 and pc to the dos prompt (using the USB key or Floppy)

If using connectivity kit the 360 drive will turn on when you turn the PC on (light will be blue on the connectivity kit.

3. type mtkflash r /m /sata orig.bin
    4. list of ports will appear (if your mtkflash is correct) one will probably say Xtreme, this is your VIA Sata card so don’t panic.
    5. Only if you have a ms28: power down your x360

If using the connectivity kit just move the black switch to the off position.
    6. select the SATA port on your PC,

7. Only if you have a ms28: then count to 10 (try different count) and power your x360

If using connectivity kit just move the black switch to the on position

8. the pc will read the firmware to the orig.bin file and store it on the flash drive/floppy disk
    9. Shut down everything. If using Connectivity Kit then turn switch to off or unplug molex connector.

Making your hacked.bin (reboot to Windows)

Note: Step 10 to 14 can be replaced by using the Make iXtreme firmware included in the Ixtreme package, it will transfer the key and spoof if needed. Move Orig.bin from the floppy/flash drive to the iXtreme folder and run the Make iXtreme firmware program. Rename the resulting IX10.bin as hacked.bin and transfer hacked.bin to floppy/flash drive. Shut down computer. when completed Then continue with step 15.

10. Extract the the firmware you want (Xtrem10a.bin) to a directory and rename it to hacked.bin
    11. Open orig.bin in FW toolbox 3.1B and do ctrl-c on the key (copy to clipboard)
    12. Open hacked.bin in FW toolbox and do ctrl-v to insert the key in the field hit 'Replace Key'
    13. Only if you have a ms25: Go in Tool / Spoof Firmware / select 'Samsung...MS25'/Hit 'Apply Spoof'
    14. Close and reopen hacked.bin to make sure that it is identified with its proper ID (MS25 or MS28) and that the key is present. Copy the hacked.bin to your USB key.

Flashing your hacked.bin
    15. Repeat steps 1-7 this time typing mtkflash w /m /sata hacked.bin
    16. the pc will flash the firmware to the drive (it will show the 4 banks being flashed)

To verify that it was flashed, you can use the same steps with now mtkflash r /m /sata verif.bin, and compare verif.bin to hacked.bin using (Hex editor, or crc32 in a zip file or winrar...)
    17. All done, shut everything down, unplug drive and enjoy live

CREDIT GOES TO SOSOTIIT FROM XBOX-SCENE. I added a few things (mostly the connectivity kit stuff). Thanks

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  2. krj15489

krj15489 Regular member

good tut, i will be using this once i get another xbox, mine broke. also you forgot to put FW toolbox to things that will be needed

3. owvp702

owvp702 Regular member

Toolbox isn't needed if you use the make iXtreme firmware file that's included in the iXtreme firware package. I'll add it as optional though.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  4. owvp702

owvp702 Regular member

5. dakid712

dakid712 Member

How do i back up my orginal firmaware using this method ?

6. owvp702

owvp702 Regular member

Step 8 in the Getting your Orig.bin section is when the Orig.bin will be saved to the flash drive/floppy. You can take that file and copy it to a few places on your pc hard drive to back it up. Don't remove it from the flash drive though until you've done the next steps which require that file.

7. koolyoe

koolyoe Regular member

Hi I have a MS28 with firmware 5.2D on it right now. I flashed it when i got it from the original firmware it came with so now i am trying to upgrade it to the iextreme firmware.

so since i already have a copy of my orig.bin file i skipped the part of how to get the orig.bin file.

so i dead everything else and im using the same computer and same via 6421 chipset card.

when i load into dos i type mtkflash w /m /sata hacked.bin
    then it shows me my Xtreme Pri master i power off my 360 and select the drive.( all of my other drives have been disconnected so its the only one that shows up)

wait 10 sec. turn it back on and it says
    Flash Type: "SST(SST39SF020)"
    ERR:fail to open input file!

so i read that it may be a bad hacked.bin file so i tried both ur wayz on how to make it still get that message.

and i als tried selecting the drive before i shut off the 360 and i get this

Port:9000, master/Slave:a0

(nothing happens so i power off 360 wait 10 sec., power on nothing happens and i press ESC and i get)

status=51, should be 70
    Err: user break

from what i remeber last time i did not mess with anything in the bios, but just incase i did check and i do not see an option for raid control.

So any help would be most appretiated thanks.

PS the only things that i changed from my last flash to this flash would be my USB drive that i got its bran new just today i got it its a Sony 1Gb stick, also i did not plug in the tv connectors as i do not want the E64 error code.

thansk again.

8. owvp702

owvp702 Regular member

Did you make sure to change the name from orig.bin to hacked.bin? If the file on the flash drive isn't named that then it will give you this error.

you did steps 10-14 right? You used the make ixtreme firmware file that came in the ixtreme package correct?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  9. koolyoe

koolyoe Regular member

yea i did all that, correct and i fianlly got it to work this is what i did

when i got into dos mode i typed

mtkflash r /m hacked.bin (i left out the /sata)

then press enter it shows me my Xtreme Pri drive

turn off 360 select the drive (1)

then i count to 2 turn on my 360 and it started to flash

so i dont know if it had nethign to do with the timing or the ffact that i left out /sata

but im glad it worked for me,

oh ps. ive been on live for 10hrs or so non stop to see if i would get banned and

still going strong no bans.

thanks for help guys.

10. owvp702

owvp702 Regular member

glad to hear. Sounds like it was a timing thing. I originally had that same problem but all I needed to do was count slower.

11. netbandit

netbandit Guest

Hello All,

I am in dire need of serious help here.. I have followed all of the tutorials and have attempted to use both either the xtreme boot 063 or the iprep 101. I get the same thing everytime..

I get to the point where I have to select the drive, I only have two when I connect the xbox, one is the xtreme and the other is a siI 3114 Softraid. I select the xtreme one, and all that happens is that it hangs there.

C:\ samread XXXXXXX XXXXX
    MTKFLASH by Joseph Lin, MTK 1998
    Drive Scaned
    1. XTREME
    2. SiI 3114 Softraid

Chose One Drive: 1

Port: 9000 Master/Slave: a0

and nothing happens.. I don't get anything showing that anything is being backed up or flashed..

Please help..

12. koolyoe

koolyoe Regular member

what you should do is, erase everything you have done. then follow the instructions on this forum that is posted at the top and follow it word for word. then let us know what happens, but i was gettign that same error and it seemed to be in the timing of when i turned off my 360 and when i turned it back on, that is if your firmware is ms28

13. netbandit

netbandit Guest

I did that.. the thing with the timing issue is only for the ms28 so that should not be a problem..

I just need to know if anything else is causing it not to flash from that point on..

I am going to go get a sata card today even though I shouldn't have to just to check.. will keep you all posted...

Who knows, maybe someone else with a ms25 might have this prob and can use my experiences..

D.

14. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

this question is for me veteran buddies that were around this time last year: is there any advantage of using XBM rather than mtkflash?

(because im old school)
    thanks man

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  15. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

mtkflash never fails for me bro, so I stay with what works.

Everytime a new FW comes out I just copy my orig.bin file from my floppy, make a new fw and copy the new fw to my floppy. Boot and done.

16. de3v0ol

de3v0ol Member

I prepared my usb with iprep and ixtreme 1.2
    I didnt connect my xbox 360 yet, and i tried to boot the flash drive, and i dont understand how to do it. There is no option in bios to select boot from usb drive

17. mshockey

mshockey Member

Hey, I have what will probably turn out to be a simple fix question but I can't seem to open the ixtreme1.2 file with xtremebootmaker. When I choose to open the file it gives me an error message saying:

Import Failed!

Any suggestions? Any help will greatly be appreciated. I am just now starting into this and will most likely need more help along the way. Thanks guys.

18. de3v0ol

de3v0ol Member

mshockey, use iprep, i had the same problem

19. mshockey

mshockey Member

Ok...here's an update. I started the iprep but had a few things I wasn't sure about so I kept looking for a solution for XBM since that is what I have a tut for. I downloaded from 360hax.com and aplied the ixtreme1.2 update and it worked with no problems. Thanks for the help though. I guess it was just a software problem.

20. pesaddict

pesaddict Member

if you have the vid cable in wont u get the e64 error