1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial for re-encoding DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by elrao, May 13, 2002.

1. elrao

elrao Member

Does anyone know of any tutorial type sites that may help me re-encode my DVD files? Problem is that even after stripping it to the bare bones of the movie, I have a 5Gb file. I would like help on how to use Tmpg Plus to re-encode at a lower bit rate. I assume i need to demux, re encode and rmux, but I don't know how, or with what software. I am sure that many people must have this problem with the increasing no. of movies that are 5GB+

Thanks in advance

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

doom9 has good set of DVD-R guides, also covering this area.

But basically once you've stripped everything "useless" out from the video, just use TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools to demux the VOB (latest version can load VOBs) into separate audio and video clips. Then simply use TMPGEnc's predefined DVD (NTSCFilm) template to re-encode the video with lower bitrate and then finally mux the re-encoded video and the original audio back together with TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools.

MPEG Tools sometimes tend to hang, specially with MPEG-2, but after NN minutes if its still hanged, kill the process and try again.

3. elrao

elrao Member

Thanks...TMPGEnc Plus kept on freezing up and creating errors, so I am trying REMPG2. Once I have remuxed the audio and new video, how do I go about creating the corrected IFO, so that it works in a standalone DVD player. I assume I use IFOEdit, but how exactly.

There will be a donation on the way as soon as I get this all working!

Thanks again

4. dRD

doom9 has nice guide on ReMPEG'ing the video files in order to fit them better to DVD.

Also, if you have issues using the MPEG-2 video as your source when using TMPGEnc, try this trick:

Open DVD2AVI and load your VOB file into it and save the project (no audio saving required) and load the .d2v file it generates to TMPGEnc and encode that. Slightly slower, but should override the issues TMPGEnc sometimes has with using MPEG-2 files as an input.

5. mosaic

mosaic Member

Elrao:
    Don't use Tnpgenc to rencode at all....it screws audio sync royally. Template thing is buggy.

Rempeg appears to sync ok...but watch out for weird blocky artifacts near end of your encode.

Rempeg does a single pass.....and tends to squeeze the end of the movie to "fit" it into the avg bitrate u selected.

I think that any movie with peak bit rates over 9Mbits causes this.

dRD:
    Would ya happen to know a decent remuxer to mux ac3 and m2v into a functioning mpg?
    I need to mux back ripped audio and video streams output from Smartripper stream modes.

thx

6. dRD

mosaic: I think the issue is with the fact that DVD template only offers 24fps and in many cases (PAL, NTSC TV, anyone?-) you need to adjust this, otherwise you end up screwing the synch.

And TMPGEnc does the muxing very nicely for MPEG-2 files as well -- although every other version of TMPGEnc I've used tends to hang with MPEG-2 files.