1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial: Softmodding an Xbox + FTP & Files

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by kslice917, Dec 18, 2006.

1. kslice917

kslice917 Regular member

I only take slightly partial credit for this, as mostly all of this was from jonbtrini's thread. However, I will add some things, and change some words, just spicing up his tutorial a little bit.
    =======================================================================================
    First off, I will state, if you do not want your Xbox Live Account indefinitely banned, DON'T DO THIS! As soon as you log on to your Xbox Live Account with this on, you WILL be banned!
    =======================================================================================
    Necessary Equipment:

An Xbox w/ Xbox Live Tab - If you don’t have an xbox live tab then you can update your xbox by running a xbox live enabled game and installing the updates. Don't worry you don't have to sign up for anything. You also need to know what kernel and version your xbox is. To find the kernel go into MS Dashboard settings and select "System Info". Just let it scroll until you see something like this: "k:1.00.4981.67" and use that info to find out the xbox version. The only number you will need here is the 4-digit number; in this case 4981.

Mechassault, Splinter Cell or 007-Agent Under Fire(you only need one)- Mechassault (Has to be the original version, You can tell what version you have by the laser etching on the back, if you have MS02301L you have the original, if it is MS02308L you have the new version which will not work.) Adversely, you can use the original Splinter Cell or 007 - Agent Under Fire. However, since I have been unable to obtain Splinter Cell due to $ issues; this tutorial will only include instructions for Mechassault and 007.

*Anybody whom would happen to have the instructions for Splinter Cell are welcome to post them here, or PM me with them, so I can add them in.*

A computer with a USB port

Action Replay - Get it at your local video game store or eBay.

Ldots ltools Package v1.7.5
    - There are 3 versions of this package depending on the game you wish to use:

Mechassault:
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2

Splinter Cell
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2

007-Agent Under Fire
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2

Once you have gathered your necessary materials, you may continue...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Modding the Xbox:

Open the Action Replay software and on your PC open the directory in which your version of the ltools package is saved. Then just simply drag and drop the .zip file into the middle column (PC Database). After this drag the gamesave (Run Linux) across to the left column which shows your memory card and it should copy across.

Take out the memory card from the docking station and put it into the top of your xbox joypad. On the Microsoft xbox dashboard choose memory and select the memory card with the gamesave on. Press right on the gamepad to go to the gamesave and click A. Then select Copy and copy the game to the xbox hard drive.

MechAssault
    Insert MechAssault and wait for it to load. Select campaign and load up Run Linux by selecting it with A. Once loaded scroll down (Press B if you only see the name of the game that is currently loaded).

007-Agent Under Fire
    Insert the game and wait for it to load. Press Start at the main screen. Load a Mission from the Xbox Hard Disk. Once loaded scroll down (Press B if you only see the name of the game that is currently loaded).

Select Backup from the main menu. This will allow you to restore your xbox to the original state if something goes wrong. When the Backup is complete go back to the menu and select UDE Install. With some xboxes, when backing up data, you will only see a green jumbled screen; this is normal, just look at the light on the front of your xbox around the eject button; when this light is flashing on and off green; the process is complete and you will need to turn off the xbox, and restart the process, this time skipping the backup. Now, from the menu, select UDE Install. This will open a prompt asking you to choose which UDE to install.

Choose which UDE to install by which Kernel you have, UDE1 should be used on kernels under 5713 (ex. 0001-5712) (1.0 - 1.5 Xboxes) and UDE2 should be used on kernels 5713 and higher (ex. 5713-9999) (1.6 Xboxes). The UDE2 only works on USA/Canadadian xboxes.

Next it will ask you to pick a bios loader/patcher, I usually use PBL-Metoo, as it's the fastest of the 3 loaders available.

After that it will tell you to choose which BIOS to install, use Evox M8 for version 1.6+ xboxes (kernels above 5713) and X2 4981 for version 1.0 thru 1.5 xboxes(kernels under 5713).

Finally choose Evolution-X or MXM for the dashboard. Personally, I'd go with Evolution-X, and I can only supply FTP instructions for the Evolution-X dashboard. Wait for it to finish installing, when it tells you to turn off your xbox, you can then turn it off. If your screen goes black or green and is garbled, it is normal, just wait for the xbox's lights to blink green on and off, that signals that it is complete. Then you can shut if off and turn it back on.

Now just to explain something, there are two different user interfaces. If you have a CD in your xbox, it should start automatically. If you have the disk tray open, you will be directed to the ITools dashboard. If you have the disk tray closed, with no disk in it, you will be taken to the Evolution-X dashboard.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FTP'ing Your Xbox

This part of this tutorial was taken from another post of mine located here.
    This is, by far, the hardest part of modding an xbox so pay attention.

Just so you all know ahead of time, routers, and wireless devices are not needed.

Now you should get FlashFXP.

One other thing you may want to check on, the cord from your xbox to your computer must be a Crossover Ethernet Cable. To check this, look at the ends of the cord (both in the same position, ex. the plastic tab up, or down on both ends) and examine the colors of the wires inside the plastic tips. These colors should not follow the same pattern as the other end.

In other words, this:
    [​IMG]

So now, you need to make sure you have everything plugged in correctly, and you may wish to restart your computer, so that it can recognize the new connection.
    Now I will go into detail on how to set up your xbox with the Evolution-X dashboard.

Start up your xbox, with the CD tray in, and no disk in the tray.

Now on your dash, go to 'System Utils' then 'Settings'

Use the following settings, if these are not set, please do so:
    Network
    -------
    Setup Network: Yes
    Use Static IP: Yes
    IP: 192.168.0.3
    Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.3
    DNS: 192.168.0.4
    DNS: 192.168.0.5

FTP
    ---
    Enable: Yes
    Password: xbox

Exit
    ----
    Save And Exit (Make sure to do this as others forget, and then the settings that were changed have no affect.)
    Now Hit 'B' to go back to the main menu, then hit 'Reboot'.
    I apologize for jumping around like this, but this is the order in which I did it and have it memorized.

So now, your working on your computer again.

Click on Start>My Network Places>View Wireless Connections

Right-Click on your network card, not the wireless adapter. Click on 'Properties', then in the scroll box; scroll all the way down to the 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' and double click that.

Click on 'Use the following IP address:' and set the settings as shown below:

IP address: 192.168.0.4
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.0.3

Use the following DNS server address:
    Preferred DNS server: 192.168.0.4
    Alternate DNS server: 192.168.0.5

When your done, click 'ok' twice.
    Now, you go into FlashFXP, and click on Sites>Site Manager or simply press F4.

Site name: Whatever you want
    IP Address: 192.168.0.3
    Port: 21
    Username: xbox
    Password: xbox

Click 'Apply' then 'Connect'.
    If it still won't FTP after that, then make sure to restart your computer, so the new IP can take affect. After your computer is started up, click reboot on your Evolution-X Menu.

When the Evolution-X menu comes back up, and if you have your skin set to 'Max Blue' then you should see IP: 192.168.0.3 at the top.

If so, you have a successful connection. Now go to FlashFXP and connect!
    *Note*
    When using FTP, you cannot use a wireless signal as well. This meaning, that you can only use one network card at a time; however, you will not need to unplug anything to use your Internet, simply stop using FlashFXP.
    Files for your Xbox

Ok, so now that you have your computer and Xbox FTP'd, now it's time to get some good files for it.

First thing's first, you need to get mIRC.

Install mIRC and sign up and all.

Now under the categories, expand the 'Connect' section.

Then click on 'Servers' and choose any of the servers under "EFnet" and click 'Select'.

Click 'Connect to Server'.

Under the channels to choose from, you need to type in "#xbins" without the quotes and click 'Join'.

Now just type in "/msg xbins !list" without the quotes, just like it says when you first joined the room.

Now you can go into FlashFXP and click on Sites>Site Manager or just simply press F4.

Site Name: Whatever you want
    IP Address: distribution.xbins.org
    Port: 21
    Username: The username you chose for mIRC.
    Password: emulation

Apply>Connect

*Note*
    You must be in the xbins file directory in mIRC to access these files via FlashFXP.

Now you have access to the best xbox mod files! You can now download these files to your computer, and afterwards, you can FTP your xbox to your computer and send the files to your xbox, or even receive them from your xbox if you wish.

*NOTE* You can only download 30 files a day off of xbins, otherwise, you will be banned indefinitely!
    So there it is, my first tutorial. At least, a good 3/4 of it. Yes I used a lot of jonbtrini's information, but MOST of this is mine. It took me a good 5-6 hours to re-write this and put up all the new information.

So, y'all can leave your comments on how I did an' all. If I left anything out, let me know!
    Once again, and I quote:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  2. Nu2Mods

Nu2Mods Guest

nice but it should be under software

3. kslice917

kslice917 Regular member

Dang, I thought I had put it under software...that sucks. Well, maybe a mod will be as so generous enough to move it for me? Plz?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  4. Nu2Mods

Nu2Mods Guest

send one a PM

5. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

aaaaaaaannd poof!

6. xxteakxx

xxteakxx Regular member

Wow, great tutorial; very impressive. Just one thing, itools is kind of outdated. Do you think you could find a better installer such as Krazie's installer or SID 4.0?

7. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

Very nice tut...

8. jaso12345

jaso12345 Guest

i have a wireless internet card. if i change my ip like it says will i not be able to go on the internet until i change it back

9. kslice917

kslice917 Regular member

@jaso12345 - I have the same setup as you do. If you have one wireless card in a PCI Slot, and you put an Ethernet Card in another PCI slot, you will have to change your IP to your Ethernet Card, not your wireless one. By doing this, you will still be able to use your wireless Internet, but once again, not during the process of FTP'ing (Transferring the files from your computer to your xbox).

Here some pictures if you get confused:

Ethernet Card:
    [​IMG]

Wireless Ethernet Card:

[​IMG]

*Note - If you have a laptop, this card will look like this:
    [​IMG]
    @xxteakxx - Althought iTools is outdated, it is never really used unless you are doing some professional stuff with linux; it is only used to install a dash. Also, I have belief that you need a modchip to actually use half the tools. Also, even though it may be outdated, it works flawlessly; whereas some of the newer versions have been known to have glitches in them; and I have heard several reports about people's hard-drives being formatted or corrupt due to them. However, if you wish, I will find such installers.

EDIT:If anybody wishes to use these newer installers, and take a risk, you can read up on how to install it using SID4.0 here.

That's a wonderful tutorial with tons of pics and walkthroughs. But once again, heed my warnings.

Plus, what's wrong with the outdated tools anyhow, you softmod from your computer; not the xbox :)
    @darthnip - Thank you for moving my thread, you're the best!
    @PAN5Y - Thanks! :)
    @Nu2Mods - Thank you for letting me know that my thread location was wrong, as you can see darth fixed it.
    I will always try to make a reply to every post on here, except for the stupid ones, and if someone else wishes to help assist others and actually knows what they're talking about, I welcome you to help!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  10. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

BUMP^^^

Just keeping this nice tutorial alive for u buddy

;)

11. kslice917

kslice917 Regular member

@PAN5Y - Thanks for the Bump! Although, I don't really know what it does :)
    Currently I am seeing no new posts, so I take it either everyone already has a softmodded xbox; or need no help. But just a note to future readers - Although my status is Newbie, I know plenty about softmodding.
    Also, I am thinking about starting a Halo 2 Map Variables/Dependencies editing tutorial. This meaning that you can edit weapons, maps, characters, sounds, graphics, etc.

So, for those reading, I would like to know whether you think I should or not.
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

12. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

BUMPING is when u move the thread to the top of the list so everyone can keep on seeing it...But dont do bump unless it's neccesary

I was just like u kslice917 i had a newbie stats and i was smater than most members or seniors your pretty smart keep up the good work and you'll get respect in no time..well u have my respect already

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  13. kslice917

kslice917 Regular member

@PAN5Y - Well then, thanks for the bump and the respect!!!

14. TBandit

TBandit Regular member

hey some of my video files wont ftp over to the xbox. they have the same format as others but for some reason it never gets transfered, any suggestions

15. kslice917

kslice917 Regular member

@TBandit - Are you able to transfer any other files via FTP???

16. TBandit

TBandit Regular member

yeah i can send other videos and other files like apps but some of the videos wont transfer for some reason though

17. kslice917

kslice917 Regular member

@TBandit - Please provide me with the following information:

1. What format are the videos.
    2. What size are the videos.
    3. Are the files transferring and not playing, or just not transferring.
    4. Where on your xbox are you trying to put the files?
    5. What are you using to play these files?

The reason I ask for this information is because some free-based FTP clients (or un-registered ones) will only allow transfers of certain file sizes and type. Another reason, is because the xbox has certain "locks" on it.

18. TBandit

TBandit Regular member

the formats im trying to move over there are in .avi and .ogm. Im trying to move it to my F drive(the one with the most space)to a new folder i created just for the videos. The files that do make it over do work. I am using xbox media center to play the files. The ftp app that im using to transfer the files over it Core FTP Lite. I also tried using CuteFTP and it still didn't transfer.

19. TBandit

TBandit Regular member

ok i found out the problem was that some characters in the name couldnt be read by the xbox so i just had to rename them with out all the punctation that was on them

20. kslice917

kslice917 Regular member

@TBandit - Sorry I was unable to reply for a little while. Anyways, thank you for posting your solution as this will help many in the future that may have this question as well. (Also, it is in the forum rules that you should posts your findings; so good job on keeping up with the rules).