1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

: Tv Dublin, Ireland

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by paulmcgrath, May 8, 2013.

1. paulmcgrath

paulmcgrath Member

New to the forum and this is my first post. Im currently paying a bomb on upc for tv with skysports but even at that price I'm always missing out on big american sports like the boxing.

After doing some research I've decided I should look into getting a blade hd satelite reciever. I also have an old sky dish on my roof from years ago that still has cables run into the back of my tv and from what im hearing this should be ok to use??

is their anything else Im missing?? I briefly read over how to set it up but im confident theres enough info on the web to walk me through it.

Thanks

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  2. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Welcome to the forum, firstly asking for line is a no no on here or any other forum, what you now have done is asked for trouble by asking for a line openly on a open forum, you dont know who your dealing with or if they are genuine, there is a blade tut on here if you do a search for it, simple to use or set up, but the goalposts are moving according to sources, so be careful what you spend on a box and a line, dont buy anything more than 3 months and I would spend little money on the box to, a Skybox F3 perhaps, does the same as a blade basically at less than half the cost

3. paulmcgrath

paulmcgrath Member

sorry about that I edited the post.

ye I read some more after I posted that thread and
    alot of people seem to be saying this isnt going to work for much longer.
    It also seems as if this has been talked about for a few months now,

is there any solid facts saying this sat and sat reciever fix is going to stop
    working or is it just speculation?? alot of people seem to be talking about sky hd
    channels being blocked.

4. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Nothing in stone, but I wouldn't be lashing out big money on anything in sat at present, lines or boxs, it will start with HD and other premium content and you can be assured it wont just stop there, no time frame on if or when it will start, but dont spend big and certainly take a line out for more than 3 months

5. paulmcgrath

paulmcgrath Member

That's great thanks for the advice, going to try it for 3 months as I'm paying 188 per month with UPG (don't know whether Im allowed say that or not)
    but as I said I also have a SLY sat on the roof so I'd only need a box and a line.
    Would still save money even if it went down in 3 months..

Thanks again.

6. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

deffo mate, thats the way I look at it, you can get a skybox F3 and wireless dongle on fleabay delivered for 80 euros, get a line for 3 months at 10 per month, thats 110 for 3 months, if yer happy after that, get another 3 months, so if ya got 6 months out of it, thats a saving,dont do a year or even 6 month blocks as if your line provider isnt good, your stuck with it, best to trial it out first

7. cactikid

cactikid Active member

remember there are other sats up there with a movable dish so you should not be left with a blank screen,i would not go for a box with a 12 month gift.

8. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

there are folk who i learnt much of what i currently know who no longer can use cards outside their sky box. so be very assured things are on their final legs. uk being hit first. ireland will be next. already totally black in australia with foxtel. another six months at best for those lucky enough to still have pictures. enjoy

9. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Aye , thats what I am hearing to, am starting to look at Android media boxs with XBMC installed,loads of apps such as 1chan, ice films, sports etc, its a media player also etc, the only thing I am using the sat for is the footy, if and when its goes, it will be back to the Ferguson Ariva 250 box with DTT, so will have all the irish chans and FTA on sat such BBC's and ITVs in HD and non HD, not gonna be really bothered,

what will be interesting will be the sly sports streams, that will also come to an end as the streams are ran off Dreamboxs or they will just stream sly anytime,

but its gonna be interesting to see whats gonna happen

10. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

mickah, don't understand your last comment. how do you mean sky sports streams are run off dreamboxes? of course there are enigma2 plugins for icefilms and 1channel which are also available on jailbroken apple tv media boxes (latest apple tv media box not yet jailbroken) and these will always be available (hopefully).

11. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

I know guys who run streams from Dreamboxs using Dream Media i think its called, they stream em to SOPCAST, which I used to watch for years for sports, so if they are running this via a Dreambox to a PC to SOPCAST/VLC etc, this will stop as the card will no longer work in the Dream if they implement they changes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMj0LYczgIg

Yeah the Android box does the same as the Apple TV, but I wonder where these Apps are pulling the stream your watching as they sly sports, they have to be coming from somewhere or someone,

12. paulmcgrath

paulmcgrath Member

So it seems as if everyones advice was right in that things were on there final legs??
    I've read a few threads and people are saying their channels are slowly getting scrambled.

If this is the case could some reccomend the best saorview sat combo box I should buy as I'm currently using a opticum sat reciever which isnt very good.

13. cactikid

cactikid Active member

14. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

pmg??????

15. paulmcgrath

paulmcgrath Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming the vu 2 solo is a box that uses a c-line? did you get a short term c-line? and are all the channels still working or are just some gone?

thanks

16. dub12dave

dub12dave Regular member

There are no channels gone yet, all are still available and will be for the short term, later on this year SLY are definitely taking action against sharing and are implementing changes with the intent of stopping sharing been possible, The C-line or N-line part is required by all boxes to open the paid for channels, and you will be advised to take out short term subscriptions to servers, 3 months at a time is all I would personally advise at this time.

Read between the line of what CactiKid has said, there is a whole other world out there and not just 28.2

17. cactikid

cactikid Active member

aye correct as i have got 2 fixed dishes and a motorised,but most people have got cheap boxes and fixed dish and when it goes down will be crying,so might i again like when n3 arrived,with the better boxes and plugins you might get a lot more than you imagine,yes i took a year as you know i am mad,but for the newbie i would suggest 3 month max.
    i dont mind if it goes in 2 months as there are other things,its just about finding them.

18. paulmcgrath

paulmcgrath Member

Good lads cheers for the advice again. Much appreciated, love this forum

19. shadow0071

shadow0071 Newbie

Hi I am a newbie as well here in Co Down. Have an old Humax 5400 which served me well over the years and wanting to upgrade. have a motorised dish and interested in German scrambled channels (already have FTA). Interested in getting both sat channels and internet addons. I have seen an advert for Amiko 8900 HD for £100 which offers both incl Opera surfer. Can you offer any advice ? Thanks