1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV out question

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by prankmnky, Jul 17, 2003.

1. prankmnky

prankmnky Guest

Hi people,

Having a strange time with the TV out from my computer at the moment... Have finally got round to hooking up my TV, computer and stereo together, and configured the graphics card, a Radeon 9000, to mimic the monitor display on the video out socket, so I can watch all these great mvies I've been getting on a nice big screen with good sound. Up until now I've been using media jukebox as my program of choice for just about all my media, audio and video, with no big problems. trouble is, although video displays just fine on the monitor, all I get on the TV is a purple-black box where my movie should be. I've tried playing back videos using other programs like the default player on Kazaa Lite, and it works fine, I get video to the TV no problem. Now for conveniences sake, I'd really like to continue using Mediajukebox, but I can't seem to get video displaying, no matter what i do! Does anyone have any ideas? I'm using a coaxial cable out, because my TV is a cheap, generic store-branded piece of crap with no S-Video in.. :-(

Thanks in advance to everyone who reads this!

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

not sure about the ins and outs of Radeon cards.... this may not even matter, but i think TV out resolution is limited to 800x600x60hz?

Does it do that? Or is the problem only when you try to play movies?_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2003
  3. prankmnky

prankmnky Guest

It's only when I play movies, I can still get a regular picture for other stuff...

4. Praetor

Dunno if this matters or not but maybe the player has issues with video out? There might be some settings you can tweak with.

5. creepy

creepy Member

I have the exact same problem... just today I was getting ready to record with my VCR some music videos i downloaded from the net in MPEG format. And when I put the vhs in the tv i see a black box where the video should be but i DO hear the audio!!! So I guess it must be something about the way windows plays back those files.

I tried playing other video files like AVI and BINK.
    AVI didn't worked but BINK worked fine. I didn't try with any .MOV file for quicktime cause I dont have it installed right now.
    It also works with DVD playack with my DVD-Rom...

im gonna ty to play and record any game with a avi or mpeg video to see what shows... who knows. Dont think that would matter anyways.

Any help will be really appreciated.
    Thx...

6. creepy

creepy Member

okay, i tried some games that ran divx, bink, mpeg and avi files... all showed up allright on the TV. I also went to some of the mpeg video files that did show up and opened them from windows and they did NOT show up.

So I say... There's something about Windows.
    About Media Player or something. i think it plays mpegs on some different level of coding or something cause the tv sure can't see it, but im no expert or even know anything about video encoding so... help anyone?

7. creepy

creepy Member

well I made it work...

it took two hours of my time, but I'm
    happy even if no one responded to the thread...

i just had to make the tv the "pimary display" on the nView screen. (i have geforece 4 ti4600)
    But now the video doesn't show on the desktop monitor, but who cares!!! I can just switch back...

8. maddogg

maddogg Member

did you try quick time pro. windows media is a funny thing. but you did get it to work and the info will help a lot of others. as for myself, thanks dude.

9. prankmnky

prankmnky Guest

yes! THANKYOU! As I said, I've had the same problem with all the media players I've tried, but this seems to fix it. Creepy, you're a star.

For anyone who's got an ATI Radeon, you can switch primary/secondary display function by bringing up the Radeon properties menu (right clicking on the ATi icon next to the clock, choose settings/display settings and select the display tab). Underneath the info for each of the activated display types, there are two blue buttons which toggle the primary/secondary display functions, you need to switch these round so that the TV is the primary. You can then save this function and assign a hotkey to it to toggle between regular and TV primary mode.

Problem solved... easy, huh? (well, not for me, obviously!)

10. damo_red

damo_red Member

hi guys im also having probmlems with hucking my pc to my tv i have a sparkle Gforce 4 mx 440 with tv out but i cant seem to get a picture on the tv can any one pleeese help thanks

11. Praetor

1. Turn your computer off
    2. Disconnect your monitor from the vid.card
    3. Connect only the TV
    4. Turn the comp back on
    Does the image show up at boot time?

12. damo_red

damo_red Member

no for sum reason any sugeestions thank 4 ur advice though

13. damo_red

damo_red Member

how ever i do get a red screen and a humming sound but no picture

14. prankmnky

prankmnky Guest

I don't have a Geforce, so I'm not 100% about how they work, but it sounds like you need to go into the display options menu for your graphics card and check that the TV out option is enabled. For my card, it wasn't at default. I imagine that there's an option to switch from monitor only to TV and monitor?

Again, I don't know about the Geforce, but on my card, the TV out is only a video out, you'll need to use the soundcard outputs to connect to the TV audio inputs.

15. damo_red

damo_red Member

is there a chance my tv is not compatible or something its around 18 months old

16. prankmnky

prankmnky Guest

i doubt it.. it's younger than mine...
    how are you connecting it to the TV? what connectors are coming out of the back of the graphics card? does it look like the cable you normally plug in from TV antenna on your roof, or does it look like the red/white plugs on the back of your stereo? Or is an S-video out... a round plug about a cm in diameter with about 8 little holes in it?

17. prankmnky

prankmnky Guest

is this your graphics card?

http://www.inquisitivemind.com.au/solutions/product_info.php/cPath/4/products_id/117

If so, I think it has an s-video out. Some newer TV's have s-video inputs to give a better picture, but if your Tv is a cheaper model, it may not. If yours doesn't, you need to get an s-video to co-axial converter, it shouldn't cost you more than a few pounds/dollars at most. then run a coaxial cable from the converter to the video-in (usually the yellow plug socket) on the TV.

18. damo_red

damo_red Member

hi yes thats the one thanks ill check out that cable converter today and mail back thanks

19. jemm772

jemm772 Member

Blue screen! Some help me. I'm trying tranfer my Vhs movies to dvd But I keep getting a Blue screen.

20. maddogg

maddogg Member

i have a 25 inch floor model tv. it has a coax hook up and the audio plugs(red,yellow and white plug in) on the back. is there a specific vedio out card i should get or does it matter? i too am trying to record from my hard drive to a vcr. thanks