1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Rips to DVD Audio Sync Problems

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by DannerSwa, Feb 5, 2007.

1. DannerSwa

DannerSwa Member

I have spent plenty of time scanning through presidencies looking for methods to avoid my problem, but frankly I'm sick of wasting DVDs in an effort to find out if the similar thread's solutions will work in my case. If someone who understands my case knows of THE thread to look into please let me know.

Please bare with me. I know this has been covered many times, but I'm not sure which precedence pertains to my case.

I am trying to burn some TV Rips to DVD. Here's the problem: The burning process goes fine but when I play it in my dvd player, the audio starts out fine but gradually goes out of sync. DVD rips Burn fine, but I guess TV Rips do not.

From what I can gather from some of the presidencies and from the error in Virtualdub, which I've tried to use to fix this problem, is that it has to do with the mp3 compression of the audio being in VBR and not CBR. Does this sound right? Do I just need to switch from VBR to CBR? Is it really that easy?

Here is the message I get in Virtualdub:
    [!] AVI: Variable bitrate (VBR) audio detected. VBR audio in AVI is
    non-standard and you may encounter sync errors up to 5952ms when
    attempting to extract WAV files or processing the audio in
    Direct Stream Copy mode. Full Processing mode is recommended
    to decompress or recompress the audio. (bitrate: 121.8 ± 14.7
    kbps)

Moving on, I've tried using Virtualdub by setting the video to Direct Stream Copy and the audio to full processing mode and selecting the Lame mp3 48000Hz 192kbps CBR Stereo compression. I chose this compression because of a precedence. Tried again to burn it to DVD and still get a Sync problem. Tried other compressions with different Lame mp3 settings and In some cases it's a little more out of sync than others.

I'm thinking that I'm choosing the wrong compression. How can I determine the right one in the future? Does the Bit Rate have to match the Data Rate or something like that? Do the video and audio sample rates have to match? Do I just have to switch from VBR to CBR choosing the same bit rate listed in the files properties?

I've also tried to strip the audio and save it as a WAV to try a method I found in a precedence, But I get This error in Virtualdub:

"Error initializing audio stream decompression:
    No installed audio codec could be found to decompress the
    compressed source audio.

Check to make sure you have the required codec."

Now I know what this means. But what Codec am I missing? Am I doing something wrong? Is there another method? Anyone have this problem before? Have I already answered my own problem?

Someone please help.

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I would first off use VirtualDubMod instead. The Streams/Streams list screen makes things easier. Do not re-write the audio header.

If the final conversion is to be done in Nero I would simply save out the audio as uncompressed WAV (Full processing mode), ADD it back into VDubMod, disable the original and do a Direct Stream copy. Play it back and check for sync. Although the file will now seem huge Nero will convert it back to compressed Dolby(AC3)2. Either the original smaller AVI or the now larger WAVed AVI should convert to the same size on DVD.

3. DannerSwa

DannerSwa Member

I'm a new user of this kind of software, so I do apologize if I sound like an idiot.

I got Virtualdubmod and opened the file in it. How do I select the audio for Full Processing Mode? I only see full processing under the video heading. Is that what I need to select?

Oh and by "Heading" I mean the "File Edit Video Streams Options Tools Help" bar at the top.

Anyways I figured that the stream heading is where I want to be, but there is no Full Processing Mode selection there. Should I just continue to the stream list and save the wav?

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Go to the Streams-> Streams list. Right click on the audio, choose 'Full' then go to 'Compression' and then choose 'no compression PCM". Then 'Save WAV'. After it's saved ADD it back, disable the original, then under 'Video' choose 'Direct Stream copy' and save it from 'File-> Save as...'.

5. DannerSwa

DannerSwa Member

Ok Thanks for that. Now I get it. But I still can't save the WAV just yet. I seem to get a similar error message like the one I mentioned In my first post about not having the right codec. Do you know which one I'll need to do this operation?

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

7. DannerSwa

DannerSwa Member

It says

Cocdec Name:
    0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3

Stat:
    5 Compatible Codecs installed

Audio Format:
    Code: 0x0055
    Name: WAVE_FORMAT_MPEGLAYER3 (MP3)
    Vendor: ISO/MPEG

The following codecs all claim to be capable of processing this format:

Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (Advanced)
    LAME MP3 Codec v0.9.0 - 3.97 (Stable)
    ffdshow Audio Decoder
    MPEG Layer-3 Decoder
    Nero Digital Audio Decoder

(And these three have an arrow on the left of them pointing to each:

Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (Advanced)
    LAME MP3 Codec v0.9.0 - 3.97 (Stable)
    MPEG Layer-3 Decoder)

Bit Rate:
    128 kb/s (64/ch, stereo) VBR LAME3.98aª

Fs:
    48000 Hz

Does that make sense to you? What is it were lookind for?

8. DannerSwa

DannerSwa Member

Okay I'm pretty sure it's not the codec because I downloaded another program called Direct Media Converter and it did it. Even still, after following the rest of the proceedure, loading the avi back up in virtualdubmod and disabling the original audio to be replaced with my new wav that I extracted with the other program, I burn it to DVD and I still get sync problem. Granted It's a lot closer to being in sync than before, but it's not good enough.

9. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Well I was going to suggest this for VdubMod.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC-3_ACM_Decompressor.htm

I believe you'll have better luck if you do the whole job in VdubMod.

If the sync is off the same (always off the same amount) in your new file, that can also be adjusted for in VdubMod.

Using the Audio/Video Interleaving option you can adjust when the sound stars, plus or minus.

10. DannerSwa

DannerSwa Member

Thanks for the codec link, but even after installing it and restarting my computer it still won't work? have you ever heard of this happening before?

11. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Oh well, I guess some things just aren't meant to be.

Why don't you run your file thru ConvertX and see how it goes. There is a free trial. It really tends to make things like AVI file conversion very easy. I would not burn with it, that way you could check the resultant files on your PC first. I always do the final burn with Nero.

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

12. DannerSwa

DannerSwa Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try. Thanks for your time helping me with this matter.

13. DannerSwa

DannerSwa Member

is VSO Divx to DVD the same as VSO Convert X to DVD? What's the difference?

14. MysticE

MysticE Active member

No it's not the same.