1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Signal with DVD Recorder hooked up?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by PWDVDx, Dec 10, 2006.

1. PWDVDx

PWDVDx Guest

Ok, I just wetn out and bought a Panasonic DVD-Recorder at Best Buy today. Now here's the thing, when I just have my cable hooked up to my TV, the quality/reception is PERFECT. But when I hook up the DVD Recorder, the the qaulity/reception is crap and snowy alot. I was wondering if new A/V cables would fix this? that was actually my only guess.

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me how to maintain my original TV reception after hooking up the DVD Recorder?

Thanks.

2. johnny121

johnny121 Member

How do you have the cables connected? Following your cable, the connection should be:

CABLE ----> "RF IN" on DVD recorder
    "RF OUT" on DVD recorder ----> "RF IN" on TV

TV should be set to channel 3 or 4 (depends on DVD recorder settings) when you're watching something originating from the DVD recorder. When the DVD recorder is not turned on, it should provide a relatively lossless pass-thru for the cable signal. When the DVD recorder is on, it will tend to block everything except its output channel. Ideally, it would totally block everything, but realistically- what you typically see is a horribly snowy picture on all the channels (except the output channel, of course).

Using audio/video cables MIGHT provide a marginally better picture- but would increase the complexity of operating the system- as you'd have to switch the TV between the audio/video inputs and the RF inputs. That configuration would also require you to leave the DVD recorder ON (and use IT to change channels)...even when not recording. Not worth it in my book.

Hope this helps.

3. PWDVDx

PWDVDx Guest

I tryed that setup with the RF Out into TV In, But nothing comes up, i'm only getting the DVD Recorder to show picture with

CABLE -----> "RF IN" on the DVD Recorder
    A/V Wires from DVD Recorder to TV.

I'm using a Panasonic DVD Recorder model ES-250

4. PWDVDx

PWDVDx Guest

ANY help?

5. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Can I assume that you have no other units than a cable box, DVD recorder and TV
    What type outputs and how many does the cable box have of each.
    In the recorder what type and how many inputs and outputs are there?
    What type and how many inputs, are on the TV?

In your system, Why are you using the RF connections except TO the cable box?
    If all units are in line the recorder will have to be ON to view TV as a siginal will not pass if the unit is turned of.

6. PWDVDx

PWDVDx Guest

All I have is, basic cable (just a wire from outside to inside), My TV, and my DVD-Recorder, I CANNOT for somereason, get the DVD Recorder to show up on the screen without having it go through input 1 on my TV.

7. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

“All I have is, basic cable (just a wire from outside to inside”

OK that’s normal and understood

“My TV, and my DVD-Recorder,”

What does this mean? Do you want the TV and Recorder to operate independently? If so this requires one method. If in line [Cable box, Recorder, TV] another. The recorder has to be connected to a signal source. somehow

“I CANNOT for somereason, get the DVD Recorder to show up on the screen without having it go through input 1 on my TV.”

I gather that your TV has more than one input.
    I know you want a picture but remember if the units are inline the recorder most be ON and if the recorder is not connected [somehow] to the Cable Box you will not be able to record from it [i.e. a TV program]
    Besides a Picture [Which should be there if connected correctly]. The question, of what is your operation desire and is it possible with your existing Equipment, is Relevant

8. johnny121

johnny121 Member

With that setup, you will need to have the DVD recorder ON in order to watch TV; and you will have to use it to change channels.

With the connection arrangement I originally suggested, you should have all your channels available at the TV- when the DVD recorder is turned OFF. When the recorder is turned on, the TV would need to be turned to channel 3/4...

Good luck.

9. akaangus

akaangus Regular member

Hey there,

I have a BENQ DVD recorder and am speaking from experience. Try to press the Speed Select button (you know for SP, EP, EP+) and see if going on SP clears it up. For some reason, even when I am not recording but I have it on EP+ it makes everything grainy. I guess that might be a "feature". On my remote the button is called "REC MODE".

Give a shout if that worked (or didn't)