1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"TV system does not match"

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by zenarrrow, Feb 14, 2005.

1. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I have backedup 4 movies today using dvd shrink and decrypter today The first 2 work fine the last two when I put them in my ps2 says "tv system does not match" They seem to work ok on my kids dvd player. Did I click on something to change the format or are they bad quality burns? Also using verbatim 4x disc's

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Stand alone dvd players can have a harder time reading dvdr's.Usually the brand/format/and burnspeed are the culprits.

What brand/format/speed/ are your blank discs?example fuji +4x.
    How fast did you burn them?
    What is model and # of your dvd burner?
    How do those backups look when you view them on your pc:the driver that burned them?

Those ps2's can be very picky as to which brand and format of media you are trying to play in them. Those 4 questions answered will help narrow it down.

Here's a handy program that is free and can check your media codes: http://digitalfaq.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvdidentifier.cfm

Download the dvd identifier,insert empty disc,open it up,and click on the large question mark. It will give you manufacturer's name, maxell, and code #-mxl-rg02 for example.

3. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I hope this doesn't double post. First I am using 4x verbatim dvd+r disc's. I have the basic NEC DVDRW 1100A burner I have tried to get a firmware update I get a error that I have checked in the prob troubleshoot that means I don't need one or no updates are available. I write at 4x on the decrypter. They look alright on my my pc. I do have the dvd identifier and when I put those verbatim's in they say information is not available I Also need to tell you the disc's I am burning are alreadydvd+rs concert footage I am trying to back up. Will that make a difference?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Oh yes, re-ripping backups can be much harder.It all comes down to media quality. Whatever dvd + media that concert was burned with and how fast that copy was burned has a whole lot to do with getting a successful re-rip from it.It might even matter as to which program was used to burn that original concert backup like dvdxcopy.

You said all 4 backups played ok on your pc. Are all 4 different movies or are you making additional copies from the one concert backup?

Nec 1100a is a fine burner,I bought one for my dad and another buddy of mine has it.+ format only is it's only drawback. Some sony ps2's prefer the dash format.That is an older model so firmware updates may not be available.

You are using verbatim +4x: Are these data life,data life plus, or digital movie "picture of a movie spool"?.
    All have different manufacturers.I have encountered mcc-002 and ricohjpn-01,but worked ok except for the +4x media life with the code of ricohjpn-01. Those ricoh's would not play in my step-sons ps2 for some reason.They gave him the some sort of no disc inserted error.The media life plus and digital movie quality played ok on it.Just something a little different on those ricoh's.

Nero has an option that may you may burn as dvd-rom if the burner is capable.This helps in stand alone playability.I don't know about dvd decrypter-I rarely use it.

Here's another program that you can get a free version: http://www.dvdinfopro.com

The dvdinfopro will allow you to scan your burned discs for errors. It can also give you the mfg code of those discs.

5. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Yes they are all differenrt show's. They are digital movie with picture of movie reel. Now when I back up these movies I use decrypter to put it on the hard drive then I use shrink to analize the show so I know it's on the hard drive and I can preveiw the show it seems fine then it decodes it back to the hard drive then I use decrypter to burn the backup. On my dvdxcopy on the rescue part it has a readability test as well. I use it. Ok saugmon Here is my whole story ok. My ge dvd player plays all new movies and dvdr copys That I have bought from ebay. Every movie I have tried to burn won't play in that player. They freeze half way in and pixilate. They have all worked in my kid's coby dvd players and ps 2. I hhave used dvdxcopy 4083 scuba petes guide and bb mayos guide on dvd shrink and decrypt together both "bbmayo and scuba pete's guide s for using them. Now my question is why do dvd+r's I buy from ebay work Fine on my player, but the ones I burn in all programs, shrink decrypter, and dvdxcopy not work in my player? At first I thought it was my standalone but it would make sense that The dvd'rs I have bought wouldn't work either. Some of them I see have 321 studios sign on them (dvdxcopy) so I don't think it is there programs. I have tried to use phillips dvd+rs as well...Any thoughts?

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Why do dvd+r's you buy on ebay work fine on your ge player but the ones you burn, will not play?

That's easy,different burners.
    Dvd burners can have issues just like the stand alones.The variations between lasers are usually the culprit.That one player does not like something about your burner. If it pixellates,freezes,and no disc inserted error-then slower speed and or media change may be needed. Some burners,no matter what you change,will not play a certain burn. I have ran into this on my home dvd burner and also holds true for pc dvd burning.

Here is what my last burner did: I have a k-hypermedia +8x burner in my backup pc,which is what I am on now. No matter what media,burn speed,or program i used to burn,my bedroom tv player,"apex" would not play it. No disc inserted errors. I could re-rip those khypermedia backups onto my benq 1620 or my home burner and that apex would play them perfect. Same media,same burn speed,same programs,the only thing different was different lasers between all 3 burners.
    I play my backups on about 15 to 20 different pc's,stand alones, and ps2's. The benq backups play on everything in the + format and all but 1 player in the dash format.

That ge player is trying to play your own backups with that pixellating and freezing,changing to lower speed and media change should help. If you get a "no disc inserted error" like I had on my apex,either a change of player or burner would take care of it.

Verbatim +4x digital movie quality discs are made in taiwan. They are pretty good,but not the best.If slowing down the burn speed doesn't help and you still get the freezing,pixellating,you might have to try some +4x ty's.

Phillips +r's? decent,not as good as those verbatim's you have.
    Try to find some plus format media at 4x that was made in japan. Those are usually the best. They include sony +1-8x tys,fujis,tdks, and maxell's. Most are in the 8x speed so a firmware issue may arrise.

Another thing I heard was dvdxcopy puts a watermark on it's backups that make them harder to re-copy.But since your kid's player will play them,then that may rule that out.

7. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

DAmn, I am having a hard time accesing this forum anymore. Do you think it is a burner issue is it just bad?

8. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Hey suagmon I am going to break down abd buy a new burner any suggestions external internal? Nec ? please help I am convinced it is my burner. Thanks boss Joe

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I also have a hard time getting on here,must be some heavy traffic here.Especially 6-9 pm est.

I'd go with internal,if you have the space.You could always use your old burner as a ripper. Plextor,pioneer,benq,lite-on,sony,or nec in no particular order,as a last resort..

When I got my original khypermedia and the backups wouldn't play on my bedroom apex,I found an iomega 16x at staples for $40 after rebate,too hard to pass up. It's the best thing I ever bought.Benq built those iomega 16x.I just put that old burner on that 598 mhz pc with 256 mbs of ram and she does a great job,but still won't play on that apex. That should be a last resort.

Get some great japanese media and try them out,maybe those can get a better read off that burner.If it don't help,get a dual format burner. You'll have more flexibility on fixing issues like many people here have on stand alone playability. Good Luck

10. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Well, thank you for all your help, I will try some jap. media first but I am convinced it is my burner. I will check out those benq and others ...thanks ---zen-->