1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"TV system doesn't match"

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bourne553, Apr 18, 2005.

1. bourne553

bourne553 Member

I downloaded some south park episodes. The episodes came in .VOB format with all the proper accompanying files. So I went about the usual business of burning them on to DVD using Nero Burning ROM as I have done with 2 other movies that I have. Burning process went fine, no errors, however when I placed the newly burned DVD into my PS2 an error comes up on my TV screen that reads: " TV system doesn't match". I haven't gotten this error with anything else I have burned. Does anyone know what causes this? Any help would greatly be appreciated!!

thanks
    todd

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

This would mean that you have a PAL (Europe) format DVD instead of a NTSC (USA) format DVD or vise versa.

3. bourne553

bourne553 Member

I didn't use different DVD's when burning the this last time. When buying DVD-R's how can I tell whether they are PAL or NTSC?
    Is there anyway that I can make the DVD-R's that I already have work on my PS2?

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

PAL/NTSC refers to the video signal format not the blank dvd format. Your download was in the wrong video format. You can convert to the other format but it takes several hours to do so depending on how big the original files are.

Jerry

5. bourne553

bourne553 Member

ooh, sorry. From what I read I thought it was the DVD-R itself, sorry. So how can I tell whether its in PAL or NTSC? And after I determine that what is a good program to use to convert to whatever my files aren't?

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You can use AnyDVD to find out the format

[​IMG]

and if you do a search here on AD or check out the guide section you will find a lot of info on converting from PAL to NTSC.. Good luck :)

7. kidavi

kidavi Member

i believe you can actually change the settings within Nero as well. mine is set to burn into NTSC format, and when the vob files are PAL, it pops up a little message asking me if i want to switch to PAL, or if i want to burn in NTSC anyway. (i had the same problem as you, with the "TV system doesn't match" PS2 message.) the main difference between the two formats is resolution: PAL's is higher, but apparently my PS2 only likes NTSC. -_-

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  8. minoux

minoux Guest

I just wanted to say Thanks. without leaving a question and with a little time reading I found the fix for my problem. I read through many questions from people whom should have done the same thing. but Thank-You

9. bourne553

bourne553 Member

Thanks to bbmayo. I got the program and it says that the DVD's are in PAL format. Great little program thank you. I have yet to go through afterdawn to look for the tutorials on converting. As soon as I do though and try it I will let you all know how it goes!!.

kidavi do you know where in Nero I can change that setting to ensure that it always burns in NTSC? I looked through the program and was unsuccessful in finding the option.

thanks again for all your help
    todd

10. kidavi

kidavi Member

i have Nero Ultra 6, and if you start a DVD project (with StartSmart, whatever), click on More at the bottom. go into Default Video Options. under the General tab, there's a pull-down menu where you can select the default video mode. PAL and NTSC are at the top, or you can select by country (US is NTSC, but Europe and many other countries are PAL).

note: if you change from PAL to NTSC, you'll get much larger sizes on your files. a PAL movie that fit onto one disc with room to spare had to be burned onto two discs in NTSC format. if it's not TOO much over the line, a quality reduction can solve it-- otherwise you'll have to split up the project onto separate discs.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  11. bourne553

bourne553 Member

kidavi man thanks, i got the ultra edition of nero and installed it. Found the option that you talked about and everything, have yet to try a burn though. I will shortly try one though and let you all know how it goes.

thanks for all your help!

12. kidavi

kidavi Member

no problem, glad that helped. i have yet to actually go through with burning a PAL-format video file in NTSC, so you'll have to let me know if you get any sort of distortion, lines, or pixellated resolution. ^_^

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  13. bourne553

bourne553 Member

Well I tried to burn it using NeroVision Express SE, but to bo avail. When I try to import the files I get an error message that simply stats it cannot import said files. However I did find the option with in NeroVision Express to choose NTSC (Canada). I could not however find this option in Nero Burning ROM. So it looks like I am going to have to find another software program that will allow me to convert files to NTSC due to the fact that NeroVision will not allow me to import the files for some reason.
    Anyways sorry to be such a bother on you guys. I hope in the future I will be able to contribute to helping instead of always asking for help.
    I will let you all know if I figure it out!

I also tried a recode with Nero Recode SE. Would this take a PAL>NTSC automatically? I tried the recode and it worked fine, I just don't know whether it is PAL or NTSC now. Is there a program that will tell me, if its PAL or NTSC just from what is in the video_ts folder? I have AnyDVD but that only works on DVD disks themeselves. I can't tell it to examine just files...if that makes any sense.
    todd

Last edited: May 1, 2005