1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tv tuner card for PC

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jbent, Sep 3, 2007.

1. jbent

jbent Member

Im looking into getting a video card for my computer. I am wondering which would would be better and external device or an internal device what are the pros and cons to each one??

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

wait, video card *or* tv tuner? they are two separate things.

3. jbent

jbent Member

a tv tuner card

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

internal card. i recommend Hauppage.

5. ireland

ireland Active member

this is what i use

PCTV HD Pro Stick Overview
    Bring digital HDTV with full DVR functionality to your laptop with Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick. Enjoy all of your favorite shows in high quality HD anytime and anywhere.
    # Watch live high quality digital HD and SD TV without service fees from anywhere on your laptop
    # Break free and PlaceShift with the sleek USB 2.0 powered portable PCTV device
    # Sit back and relax from afar with full remote control access
    # The options are unlimited with full support for both analog (NTSC) and digital (ATSC) reception*
    # Instantly transform your PC into a personal digital video recorder (DVR)
    # Never miss a critical part of your favorite show again with pause, rewind and replay
    # TimeShifting and automated digital recording of TV shows in SD and HD with Pinnacle MediaCenter and integrated Electronic Program Guide**
    # Full support for Microsoft Media Center Edition environment (MCE upgrade kit including a Microsoft compatible MCE remote, IR receiver and IR blaster is available separately)
    # Eliminate the guess work by automatically recording shows direct-to-DVD and/or in the destination file format of choice (i.e. iPod, PSP, DivX, etc.)
    # Capture from most consumer devices with analog outputs (e.g. VCRs, camcorders, DVD players, etc.) and then edit and enhance with the included Pinnacle Studio QuickStart software

link
    http://www.truevision.com/PublicSit...PCTV+Analog_Digital+PVR/PCTV+HD+Pro+Stick.htm

link
    http://www.truevision.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/PCTV/PCTV/

6. jbent

jbent Member

7. FaugYou

FaugYou Regular member

I'm also a little persuaded to buy a tv tuner but heres the thing: I don't have access to a CATV line (my line's are only downstairs not upstairs where my computer is). I wasn't sure if a TV tuner would work because don't you need to plug in a CATV line into the card? Is there a card where you don't need to plug in a line... wireless?

8. jbent

jbent Member

FaugYou: in response to your question about wireless ones I think radioshack.com and a few other websites have something like that on their websites that uses an wireless antenna to get the signal. Other than that the other thing you could do is get a two way spliter and run a seperate coaxial cable to your upstairs. You can get good deals on coaxial cable online or like ebay. The spliters are only a couple bucks and most stores. So ya give one of them a try. good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/im...4-9744992-2665541?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&img=2

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-WinTV-HVR-950-Tuner-Personal-Recorder/dp/B000J1CCGA

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007