1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tv tuner question

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by Kimmi8, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Kimmi8

Kimmi8 Member

I have an acer aspire 5520-5912 on vista home premium. Now because I'm on vista premium, do I already have a tv tuner card built in?

I would like to also know how I could record tv from this notebook with media center.
    Do I need a certain kind of tv tuner and remote control for media center?

2. silk42

silk42 Regular member

No, that model doesn't include a built-in tv tuner. You'll need to purchase a USB tv tuner such as the one found here. This isn't the only model available, I'm simply providing you with an example of what you need. Once you install the tuner, you'll be able to watch and record TV within media center.

3. rsvore

rsvore Member

kimmi8,

Did you ever get a tv-tuner for your Acer 5520? I'm thinking of getting the USB tv-tuner for my Acer 5520 but unsure if it will perform well. Any feed back as to what you did would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Rob

4. byngo

byngo Regular member

I have never read a single review that praised a USB TV tuner unless it was able to utilise a proper fixed installation antenna on the roof.
    The "Gadget Show" slated them last year.

5. rsvore

rsvore Member

Are the express card 54 tv-tuners any better than the USB tuners?

6. byngo

byngo Regular member

I have used PCI cards in a desktop and connected to a loft Aerial. They were fine.
    Its all about the aerial at the end of the day and not the tuner components.
    Would you connect your TV at home to a little 3 inch aerial and expect a decent picture and from all channels?
    If you can afford to not worry about it, then give it ago but expect to be waving the aerial or laptop about trying to tune in the channels.