1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs TODAY CHANGING FAST ?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by canon_7, Feb 16, 2010.

1. canon_7

canon_7 Regular member

Forget about the boxes for now. Now look at the big con in today TVs sold today.The big thing to come along now is the 3D TV ,HERE is the big thing on this is all TVs sold to date Won't play Sky 3D or Blueray 3D. So most of us have brought Plasma TVs/ LCD TVs/ & the new LED/LCD TVs that inc. FULL HD TVs two.u will need to buy a new Hi-Def 3D TV. because of the type tv panel u will need to view this type of new 3D. Now here is the another thing to is by 2014 there will be a TV with 2,500 line Resolution so called Super HD.TV. & BY 2017 We will have yet another change in TV > Ultra HD.4,000 Line Resolution already use in japan on test. Because our TV Sets only display 1920x1080 line Resolution.(Full hd)So we be off to buy another tv set in a short while.The only HD stations in England with free tv channels are BBC HD/ ITV HD & LUXE HD. THE Rest u paid from Sky & the other Providers .these HD TVs sets are out along while now & yet we in Ireland have no HD from our own national tv service network. Are they waiting to see what happening to what is comming along after 2012, so we be left high and dry with our out of date TVs.
    SO I SAY it a big con job of yet another money racket on the market today. what do think on this Lads.

2. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Its called progression, if we didnt progess we would still be sitting in caves picking fleas off each other, its the 21st century, technology moves along at quite a pace that this weeks top model car, fone, TV, PC etc etc will be superseeded within in a year, even months. you mention HD, the only ones to invest in this is Sky and such others and like it or not, its a business, not a charity. the want a return on their investment like any solvent company,

Ireland have 4 test chans as we speak, but ya need a TV with a MPEG4 built in decoder to pick them up

3. tony_i

tony_i Guest

My grandfather felt similarly browned off when his outside toilet became obsolete.

4. SG8

SG8 Active member

and I am typing this on my Sinclair ZX81 !!

5. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

ha ha ha, I superseeded ya with my Amstrad!

6. grap

grap Member

Man those little rubber keys are a nightmare. Bring back frogger and Horace goes skiing. Good times.

7. SG8

SG8 Active member

Flash git!! lol

8. canon_7

canon_7 Regular member

Yes i know MICKAH, thing have to Progress in time. But when u buy a new up to date tv on the market, they tell u that these TVs are Future proof.your Gear u bye should last u at lease between 5&8 YEARS before a change.Now u bye whatever u are buying to date & by the look of it ,u will have to change it next year or so in the way things are going on the market today. with 3D soon to be here. OF course the TVs companys may wait to get the 2,500p line (Super Hd) by 2014 or so hang on for the 4,000p LINE (ULTRA HD) BY 2017 or 2018.
    Well i won't be interrested in this 3D type TV.MAY Not catch on as it did in the Past.I Don't think WEARING. 3D glasses are the way to go.

9. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

then you answered you own query, dont buy one, just becuase something comes out doesnt mean we have to buy it. Folk are more techonophobe now than ever, everyone wants the latest thing, thats why stuff like this is pushed out quickly, if you bought a TV in the 80's, ya can bet most folk had the same one by the 90's. Until people became more involved in the way we watch things and how they sounded, Widescreen for example, wasnt long ago when people were giving out shite about the black bars, then it became the norm, DVD with surround sound, 100 htz on a crt TV, this upped the notch again, then plasma, then LCD, then LED etc etc, as long as the market is there and wallets to be opened, each TV or any goods will become better, thinner, faster, quicker, bigger etc

Sorry mate, its the times we live in

Vote with yer feet when it comes to anything new

10. canon_7

canon_7 Regular member

THANKS MICKAH FOR THAT INPUT.YES i like getting new things that come along to . But when u think of the People who are hard cashed & fork out up to €1,500 or more on these things & find they might have to get rid of there item in a year or so. I have a LED/LCD SAMSUNG 200Hz 40inc slimline full hd bought last september in Power city €1,499
    Great picture on it to.connect to the internet & lan to /2.0 usb.DLNA Ready as well.
    But will have to go in a few years i fear.when the new HD Res/comes along.

11. BIFF0

BIFF0 Regular member

Super HD??? Waste of money in my opinion. I mean they say HDTV is five times better picture than Standard def. Humans eyes can't fully pick up these changes. If you are shown a billion pixel photo and then shown a two billion pixel photo the second one is twice as good but really unless your a eagle they are exactly the same. We are not eagles Sony!

12. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

no tv will become obsolete when or if they launch higher res pics, just wont pic them up thats all, my mother has a Sony 100htz bought in 2003, works a charm and works well with a digital box, will work well with SKY hd if connected, until it sits down and she needs another one, then thats where its stays.

Why will you have to get rid of the TV you have?????

Think yer buying into the shite hype Canon..............

13. canon_7

canon_7 Regular member

WHAT i mean is when the TVs companys if they change over to the higher res/ say 2,500p lines by 2014 then ILL have to change the unit & if they Don't or go for the ULTRA HD BY 2018. THEN I HAVE THAT TV for 8 YEARS ,That would be great.MICKAH.

14. BIFF0

BIFF0 Regular member

Oh I won't but there will be plenty going "Oh no my tv is only hd I need a super hd one". It's just painful to watch. Also I think the tech world is focusing to much on advancing technology but not enough on how to use these advancments. Think outside the box sony. We're not eagles.
    The Wii out sold the rest by being innovative with the latest technology available.

15. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

mmm canon, dont really matter what yer telly can display, if sky or your provider transmit HD, SD, 3D, or anthing with ending in D, then thats all yer TV will display, whether its a super de dooper 9000htz Super HD with built in tea maker or a standard LCD / Plasma tv, whats transmitted is what will be displayed to your TV's best ability and will be the same for the next few years.

16. canon_7

canon_7 Regular member

Your right on that BIFFO , The Human eyes can't pick the full scope of ULTRA 4,000 LINES RES, THEY SAY IT BE 40 TIMES SHAPER THAN THE HD SETS WE HAVE TO DAY, What the point in going down that road. IT a fab & Going to make these companys a lot of money. i think they sould stay on the 1920x1080p full & improve the bitstream m/bites.to make the picture even better.Don't need to go up to a higher res. Hd looked great when run right.

17. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

regardless what they do, my TV, your TV will be working and working fine regardless of what they trasmit in terms of resolution, so if folk buy into the "oh oh, i must have the latest TV that you can see the hairs on a flys arse from 60 paces" and buy into the bulshit bingo they roll out trying to flog TV's.

As I said above, they are companies like anyone else trying to make a profit.

18. canon_7

canon_7 Regular member

Thanks all the lads for the input & i will say good night to all
    canon_7

19. piopat

piopat Active member

the likes of harvey norman,tesco etc have been selling tvs for months saying freeview(oh i can buy this tv and get all the free channels via my aeriel)but freeview is mpeg2, and meant for the uk. if im not wrong in the uk and the boxes have been updated,so old boxes and tvs will no longer work. i know lets flog the old tvs to the paddys ,cos they are thick and will buy any crap the uk give them .and not mentioning that ireland is now currently using mpeg4. and no supplier has been approved to sell boxes for (rte terrestrial)so that means no box or tv has any system that can unlock the irsh channels(guaranteed) they may revert back to mpeg3(as rte are well broke)and should they choose to encrypt?. well what then. i would wait untill rte or ireland has a set standard, ie mpeg 3/4 and a defind scrambling method(cos surely sky will be on board) and they will have a big say,so any tv you buy can change easy(look at the uk)up to you guys.

20. tony_i

tony_i Guest

TVs don't become obsolete. A TV bought in the 60s would still work today (at least in theory).

My main TV is a 16-year-old CRT. It works beautifully and the picture is superior to most flat TVs.

I can understand someone updating but if you want to play the game (as I do with other types of tech) then you need to accept that the goalposts will move on a regular basis.