1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tweaking for the best results

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by diver90, Nov 27, 2002.

1. diver90

diver90 Guest

First off, thanks to all for their previous contributions. They have helped me learn how to successfully make VCD's derived from a wide variety of sources.

Here's my question.

When making a VCD from an AVI, I understand that there will be degradation as a result. I am getting decent resolution and image quality but am experiencing "jerkiness" in the video when there is a lot of motion. I have TMPGEnc set for highest quality on the Motion Search Parameters and it is set to a bitrate of 1150, etc. all the righrt defaults to going to NTSC.

My computer is a bit long in the tooth (500MHZ) and it takes a looooonnnngggg time to process but everything it produces plays.

Any other suggestions short of buy a new box? That won't happen until right around Xmas.

Thanks in advance,

diver90

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Have you tried the encoded videos with DVD players or other computers to determine whether the "jerkiness" is caused by your PC or by your encoded video?

3. diver90

diver90 Guest

Yes. I get the same effect on the PC and on 2 different DVD players (Toshiba SD2700 and SD4800) as well as a friend's Pioneer Elite.

Audio is fine and is synced with video.

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Then my guess is simply that the encoding source (AVI) was too poor quality for VCD to make anything acceptable out of it with its own low bitrate (1150) on high-motion scenes that normally require high bitrates.

5. diver90

diver90 Guest

Hmmm. The original AVI's look pretty good though and don't have that jerky quality. Any other ideas?

thx...