1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Twisted Metal: Black - Freezes when loading

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Bonzaii, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Bonzaii

Bonzaii Member

Hey guys, I've just burned Twisted Metal: Black and it freezes at about half way when I'm loading. Whether I play "Story" or "Challenge" or play a different character it still freezes at the same half way point. The only thing I did was replace the "ZZZDummy.bin" file, that's it. I'm using Memorex media burned at 4x speed. I've also burned Prince of Persia: Two Thrones and that has been working fine for me. I don't know what the problem is. Thanks in advance!

-Bonzaii

2. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Update your burner's firmware to the latest version. And use trusted media, like Sony or Verbatim since Memorex aren't that good. Always burn at 2x. Also, what's your PS2's version?

And try also making a good copy and don't change anything in it.

3. Bonzaii

Bonzaii Member

Firmware is updated, PS2 Version is NTSC (I think that's what you mean when you ask for my version) and everyone else on the forums say that 4x is better or half the speed of the maximum the CD can burn at (16x).

4. Bonzaii

Bonzaii Member

Also, the media is "RITEKF01" (Memorex). Dunno if that's good or bad.

5. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

No not the region of the PS2.

The version.

WWW.MOD-CHIP.COM go to manuals and then PS2 and click on find your ps2s version.

6. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Also get Sony DVD-R 16x. I use these and most games that i burned work flawlessly.

7. Bonzaii

Bonzaii Member

My version is SCPH-39001
    (not slim, btw). I'm using Swap Magic 3.6 with Slide Card Tool.

8. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Those are pretty good but from reading your posts, they're on a 16x Memorex? If so, you're way better off doing a DVD media brand switch or consider using 8x or below Memorex DVDs. Even though it's Ritek, I really think you're better off not using 16x Memorex DVDs. The only 16x DVDs I'd recommend using would be Verbatim. Taiyo Yuden 16x are a close second. If you still can't get your Memorex DVDs to work, by all means, I'd think about doing a brand swap. You'd be surprised about the differences in results and performances you can see by doing a mere DVD brand replacement.

And what Omirsama was trying to ask was your PS2's version number, not what region it is. Check here for reference.

Edit: Also, have you experienced other problems using your Memorex DVDs on other games or is this only game that has given you the most noticeable problems?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  9. Bonzaii

Bonzaii Member

I just burned it again at 4x speed. It burned successfully, I tried to play it and the same EXACT thing happened. I really doubt it's the media. The only thing I can think of is that modifying the dummy file could've killed it :-(

Yes, I've burned "Prince of Persia: Two Thrones" and it works great. (BTW I meant to say "RITEKF1" not "...F01")

10. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

Yes. The dummy file must have something to do with it. Or maybe it's the media your using. Because once, when i tried to backup Sly Raccoon 1 and i burned it on a Sony DVD-Rs (the media that never disappointed me), the game skept and stuttered. So maybe the game just dosen't like your media or something

11. Bonzaii

Bonzaii Member

Looks like I'll have to try cleaning both the disc and the laser, hopefully that works.

12. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

What's the total size of the disc including the unedited dummy file and what's the size of the dummy file before you replaced it? You don't have to remove all dummy files from a game. Removing the dummy files on some games like Guilty Gear X2 can be very beneficial. Some games you must shrink the dummy file to make the game run better and boot more successfully than leaving the dummy file intact. Try a variety of things really.

Oh, and what kind of DVD is it? DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW or DVD-RW? Is it on a DVDRW by any chance?

You'd be quite surprised how a simple DVD media brand switch can do to improve results, performance, quality and so forth dramatically. It's like using a Memorex CMC MAG compared to a Taiyo Yuden TYG02. If all else fails, try a DVD brand swap. No use doing something repeatedly and endlessly that won't change the results no matter what you do.

Edit: You got Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones to work? Then have you at least tried to burn the game with the dummy file untampered? Not all games require you to shrink the dummy file and some dummy files aren't plain dummy files either.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  13. Bonzaii

Bonzaii Member

Oddly enough, Prince of Persia: Two Thrones didn't have a dummy file, I looked. I'm using DVD-R.

14. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

My bad, I switched subjects. I was trying to ask if you burnt the dummy file on Twisted Metal: Black intact and without shrinking it? I forgot to mention Twisted Metal: Black when I was asking that question.

15. Bonzaii

Bonzaii Member

I did burn it on, but I also shrank it.

16. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

I was asking you if you burnt the ZZZdummy.bin file with the Twisted Metal: Black ISO unedited, meaning, you didn't shrink it at all. I was trying to suggest previously for you to try and get TM:B to work is to burn the original dummy.bin file unedited and see if the game won't freeze at those particular points. It could be there might have been something within the dummy file that was coherent for the game to work. And how big was the dummy file? 100 megabytes, 200 megabytes or so forth.

Edit: What have you tried so far other than burning the game once with the shrunk dummy.bin file other than multiple burn speeds perhaps? Also, what condition is your original TM:B game? There is a possibility of a sector of the disc damaged so badly that you might not have been able to extract the data off of the disc properly although you can easily check if it might be a burner problem by using the original disc. Try a DVD media brand swap if all else fails with the Memorex DVDs. Some other brands names you could try would be Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. Try Sony if you can't get the above two, and it is easier to get Sony DVDs at nearby stores than it is to get Verbatim and or Taiyo Yuden for most.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  17. Bonzaii

Bonzaii Member

No, I have not tried it with the dummy file. The dummy file was 29 MB. Kinda small...

18. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Then just leave the dummy file in there and try burning the game with it not shrunk. Some games like Dragon Quest 8, more or less, run smoothly or horribly without their dummy files edited or not depending on what DVD media and PS2 the person has.