1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two DVD titles - One DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by procode, Mar 27, 2003.

1. procode

procode Guest

With all the excellent compression tools available today, it is easily possible to reduce some DVD titles such that two could fit onto the same DVD-R, without a serious rebuild.

I don't want to join two movies, I want to select from two movie titles on one disc. I want to keep both original menus.

I would like to make a 'front end' menu that asks the user, "Disk 1 or Disc 2 ?", or whatever is appropriate.

On selection I want the program to open either folder 1 or 2 and start playing the title in that folder.

Now, how do I do this please ?
    Any other suggested solution/guidance will be more than acceptable/appreciated.
    Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2003
  2. tkwish

tkwish Member

i am looking to do exactly this with a rip from a tv series (roots)so what i think we are looking for is an authoring tool that will except VIDEO_TS folders anyone with any ideas please

3. LuNaTiC

LuNaTiC Guest

I dont think there is any software out there that will take two VIDEO_TS folder and create a working DVD from them. I think you will end up having to re-author the DVD from scratch.

4. DvdBunny

DvdBunny Member

yes i aggree with Lunatic there is no way of doing that

you will also NOT have 2 menus just one you can make your own that leads to the other 2 menus try it out other wise movie wise its gonna be a loooooooong ride

5. procode

procode Guest

Surely, with the things that can be done with a DVD nowadays, it MUST be possible to have selectable folders, and in each of thoses folders, a VIDEO_TS folder ?

6. Javakiko

Javakiko Member

ive just got roxio cd/dvd creator 6 this might be what you are looking for as you can add multiple menus and mpegs including dolby trailers cos im gonna have a go with it and put all the dolby trailers on 1 disc with a basic menu to choose which one you want to view (i know you can buy this from dolby but i want to see if roxio can do it)

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I think u could do that.
    You would definately need an authoring program to create menus/chapter points etc.

I haven't done it but the theory maybe correct.

I have Mydvd (authoring program) which will allow you to put mpeg1/mpeg2 onto a dvd-r.

I do know that this authoring program WILL NOT recognise VOB/IFO structures only mpeg1/mpeg2 streams.

We know that dvd compliant movies are multiplexed (video/audio) in mpeg2 formats.

So with that in mind, rip the title, strip out subs etc and convert to mpeg2.

You can then just add that to ur project with the menus etc.

Interesting post, think I shall try this, would need some small titles though, episodes probably.
    LOL

8. procode

procode Guest

I don't believe it needs that much work M8s.
    On current DVDs is RCE detection.
    On finding a region mismatch, an instruction is sent that opens a folder (OUTSIDE the main folder) and a file is activated, and you see that file's contents on the TV screen.

I think all the workings we need are already there, I could be wrong, but I'm going to have a go when time permitts.

9. ianroyal

ianroyal Guest

actually, the "wrong region" messages are stored, in the one of the vob files. for "jon carpenter's 'the thing'", it was in the video_ts.vob(or whatever, it was called).
    as for the things being done 'nowadays' on dvd, they are pushing boundaries(i guess?), but only within the limits of the dvd specifications.
    -ir

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2003