1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two dvds that cannot be copied by any program...

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by amaze122, Dec 2, 2004.

1. amaze122

amaze122 Member

I have tried to burn "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets", and "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King". I used Dvd Shrink, DvD XCopy Platinum version 3.2.0.0, Dvd ClonerII, DvD Decrypter ver. 3.5.1.0, and Copy to Dvd. In each case I tried to copy the "video ts" folder, etc. to the hard drive like I usually do, where I could make copies from it whenever I wanted, (and be able to watch it without a disk). In each case, the error message referred to a sector "F" that could not be read because of encryption! DvD Decrypter was the only one to get all the way through the burning process, and copied all except the last two files. On Harry Potter, this meant that the menu's appear (and look gorgeous), but the scene selection, when used only takes you back to the "specials" menu, instead of to the scene selected. I tried using the fast forward button to forward thru the movie, (to test if it at least was playable), and that takes me all the way through each chapter okay up to the last chapter, (implying that the movie does indeed work up to that point), and any attempt to navigate past that kicks you back out to the main menu. (I am using PowerDvd as a player). When I use jog shuttle, the whole thing freezes. So basically I think the movie works, but the menu's and scene selection devices are null and void. I have yet to check if you can watch to the end of the movie, once you fast forward to the last chapter, because I work, and don't have time to sit here and watch the whole thing, even from the last chapter to the credits, so am going to burn a copy and get someone to watch it for me. If that checks out, though, that is apparently as good as it gets, a movie that you can watch, but menu's that don't work. (I didn't see in Dvd Decrypter where I could just lose the menus totally, and just burn the movie). Anyone have any alternative solutions? };-{0
    Edit: the second round of testing, Lord of the rings copied fine, but only using DvD Decrypter, the other programs gave the same error message as before. Also, Harry Potter, in the second round of testing [bold]still[/bold] could not be broken, by [bold]any[/bold] of the programs, including Dvd Decrypter. I have another theory now though. It concerns some scatches that I just noticed on Harry Potter.. More on this later, though, I have to go to work now,,,

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  2. 6foot7

6foot7 Member

VERY INTERESTING! I also had a problem coping a certain dvd (SLEEP OVER). After trying 3 different times, I also noticed what looked like scratches going from the hub to the outer edge, but what was different about these scratches were that they were perfectly aligned, as if they were put there on purpose. So I retturned the disk back for another NEW! one, and this one also had the same marks on it. COULD THIS BE ANOTHER WAY OF COPYRIGHTING MATERIAL?

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Ummm ... wrong. I backed up both movies :)

With Shrink, Platinum and CloneDVD2.

4. wild77

wild77 Guest

I recently backed up all three Lord of the Rings movies using Decrypter then Shrink and burning with Decrypter.I like to use the Re-author to back up the movie only.Less compression = better picture,until dual layer disc prices come down.

5. starlymae

starlymae Member

For some reason unknown to me I couldn't burn straight to burner when trying to burn Harry Potter. Try burning to hard drive first using DVD shrink. Here is what I did. Make two new folders on your desktop. I named mine movie and movie2. Open shrink, with the original DVD in your DVD player, click open disk, after it analysis’s it you can re-author if you only want the main movie if you want the entire move click back up. When the back up DVD window appears click on target device. Under select backup target choose hard drive folder. Under the select folder for temp files chose browse and find the folder you made on your desktop. Then hit OK. Let shrink do it's thing. After shrink has finished you can rerun it through shrink again. Open shrink and click on open file, find your file, hit backup again, and this time under the select backup target choose your DVD burner. I use Nero so it is under the tap. Under the select folder for temp files choose the second folder you made on the desktop. Also make sure your blank DVD is in your burner. Hit ok and let shrink do it's thing once again. That should be it. That is the only way I could get shrink to work for me.

6. amaze122

amaze122 Member

Well, my last emerging theory proved to be correct, it was the scratches on the disk that were apparently preventing the copying. When I went to Hollywood Video last nite and got another, better cared for copy of the disc, it burnt with no problem with Dvd Decrypter. Starymae, I didn't see your advice until I had already taken the disc back last nite, but actually that is the way that I use Dvd Shrink anyway, because I like keeping the video-ts files on my hard drive to play without having the disc in (I have a 500gb Lacie external hard drive, so I have plenty of room). Thanks for everyone's responses on this problem. :-]
    Edit: by the way, I was in a hurry to copy the new, unscratched disc and get it back to Hollywood Video, (I only had a little over an hour window), so this time, I didn't even try any other program except Dvd Decrypter, so I guess I will never know if my other programs (like DvD Shrink), would have worked or not. But from some of your responses I think that we can assume that they would have..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi amaze122,

I'd like to suggest that you try some different settings for DVD decrypter that, among other things, help me work through some scratches - I said SOME SCRATCHES.

I've had, and many that I've given it too have had, great success -

Here are the DVD Decrypter's settings. First, it should be version 3.5.1.0. Go to "Tools", "Settings", set everything to "Default". Then in the "General" tab change, "Removal Method" from "Normal" to "Aggressive", in "File Mode", "tick" Remove PUO's." For ripping in the "ISO, Read Mode", "tick" "Remove PUO's" there also. in the "CSS" tab, under "CSS Cracking Method", choose "Brute Force ~> I/O Key Exchange" and "On Failure" choose "Yes". . IMPORTANT: In the "I / O" tab, in the bottom right, "tick" the box which says, "Ignore read errors". This is an excellent setting for dealing with scratched discs which may cause ripping problems.

OK, Here it is - http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Take it out for a "spin" around the block, Check under the hood, Kick the tires and climb inside and smell that "New DVD Decrypter" "smell". Go home, talk it over with the wife and, if you feel in the morning the way you do now, come back and I'll put you behind the wheel of a Brand new DVD Decrypter at a price so low, you'll think it was free. Huuummm, come to think about it, it is FREE - Well, What are you waiting for ?

Remember to stop back and tell me how you feel about it once you've put some "mileage" on it -

Cheers,

Pete

FYI, I've done all 3 Harry Potter (the last this evening) AND all 3 LOTR and never had a problem. In over 800 DVD backups, I've had some that have given me trouble BUT none that DVD Decrypter couldn't do. To be honest, it took awhile to get the settings correct but this "Baby" is "Fine-tuned" now and ready for Bear.

NOTE: I did The Bourne Supremacy tonight. DVD Shrink and AnyDVD couldn't do that DVD but, DVD Decrypter just burned right through it :)

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

I just wanted to add that I had no problem backing up my copies of Lord of the Rings:Return of the King and Harry Potter:prisoner of Azkaban but I did have some problems with The Bourne Supremacy and the Punishner. To let everyone know all you have to do is search the forums and you can find just about anything you can think of to backup cds/dvds. I have had plenty of success since entering Afterdawn.com and the forums available. I wanted to give many thanx to ScubaPete and all of his expertise and thourough directions on how to use DvD Shrink and DvD Decrypter. I was using DVDXCopy before and became disappointed with that program and was directed by ScubaPete to the freeware available on Afterdawn.com.
    As he has said many times, 'free is free', I cannot say that enough about a great program. I have backed up about 40 of my dvds since changing to DvD Shrink and DvD Decrypter and had no problems except the movies mentioned above. I have had very few coasters since going to these two programs and they were do to the inferior media I was using. I have even changed to MCC, TY, and Sony since the changed programs and have had no coasters since the change to superior media. If anyone gets anything out of this at least use decent media when you backup your movies. Thanx again ScubaPete and keep on helping.

9. colw

colw Active member

I'm always amused when one or two people claim that a DVD cannot be burned and there must be some new form of Copy Protection.

In all cases I have seen to date, others have been able to copy and burn the movies without any problems.

Other than damaged orignals, I have get to come across a movie that cannot be copied (including both the ones you have mentioned).

There are many variables that can impact on ripping/encoding DVDs but one key is to keep your system lean, mean and clean, avoid software conflicts and do not multitask. Sometimes, something as simple as rebooting your computer when having problems can be very effective in overcomming same.

However, the most common cause still appears to be operator malfunction.

10. greensman

greensman Regular member

Hey Colw,
    I found that backing up the Punishner and the Bourne Supremacy took a little more effort due to the video threads put in the movies. They had some weird repeat videos and that caused DvD Shrink to lock up on me 4 or 5 times. Yes I had her on mean and lean and even removed and re-installed Shrink incase I had done something to cause the program to fail. Dvd Decrypter had no problems but I did find some advice on the forums about encoding (with DvD Shrink) those small clips to still images and that worked like a champ.

11. Zenwarior

Zenwarior Member

Question for the knowledgable ones.

I ALWAYS use Shrink then Decryptor. Shrink makes the ISO file. I find this the easist way to do it.

When I tried Decryptor first it made several files which i couldn't figure out how to burn to the DVD.

is there a link that explains how to do this in Shrink? Is there any benefit to doing it this way?

Any responses will be appreciated.

Thanks

Zenman

12. wild77

wild77 Guest

It all comes down to your preferences,most times Shrink works great by itself.DVD Decrypter is a better ripper especially with problem discs.Personally I like to use Decrypter > Shrink > Decrypter to burn,I have also used Nero and CopytoDVD to burn all with good result.This guide is great for getting started
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/dvd-decrypter.php
    This shows how to use it in the file mode you can also use Decrypter in ISO mode just when you open Shrink instead of clicking the OPEN FILES button click on file then OPEN DISK IMAGE just select the ISO file and your ready to go.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi greensman, welcome to aD -

Thanks for the kind words. Did I tell you, I'm running for President of the US and if that job's taken, I running for King of the world ?

AFA the Bourne Supremacy, there are two solutions -

Solution # 1. In "Unreferenced materials" in title 1 menus, there is a "Boy" running (in green shorts too). Sometimes DVD Shrink get's through it sometimes not -

If you are stuck, then go to that section - Go to "Compression" select "Custom" then select "Still image" the try DVD Shrink again, it should slide right on through, like a hot knife through tender Turkey -

Solution # 2. Adjust DVD Decrypter - I'd like you to check your DVD Decrypter's settings. First, it should be version 3.5.1.0. Go to "Tools", "Settings", set everything to "Default". Then in the "General" tab change, "Removal Method" from "Normal" to "Aggressive", in "File Mode", "tick" Remove IFO/BUP PUO's." For ripping in the "ISO, Read Mode", "tick" "Remove IFO/BUP PUO's" there also. in the "CSS" tab, under "CSS Cracking Method", choose "Brute Force ~> I/O Key Exchange" and "On Failure" choose "Yes". . IMPORTANT: In the "I / O" tab, in the bottom right, "tick" the box which says, "Ignore read errors". This is an excellent setting for dealing with lightly scratched discs which may cause ripping problems.

That should do it -

Cheers,

Howdy there Zenman,

About using DVD Decrypter first, for those times when DVD Shrink can't do it OR for those "Tricky" episodel DVD's I like using DVD Decrypter first. Many times, when you rip an episodel disc with DVD Shrink, all you get is the largest episode. Doing it using an ISO image, you always get everything.

As for a guide for DVD Decrypter then Shrink then Decrypter, Ask and Ye shall receive -

Are we all set ?

Great !

Of course the main thing is to download the programs before you can think of doing anything :)

Program # 1.
    (Get your DVD Decrypter's newest version here - )
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Program # 2.
    (Get your DVD Shrink's newest version here - )
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Now that we've done that - exactly

First create a folder for your HD backup work. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it (i.e. C:\All My DVD Work\Dumb and Dumber Meet the Parents Out for a Kill get Eaten Alive.)

To be sure we don't miss a setting and that all steps are followed EXACTLY -

PLEASE, PRINT THIS GUIDE OUT NOW !
    (It makes it so much easier to follow :D)

Place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive. If you have only a single drive, begin by placing your original in the drive first - When it necessary to put your blank in, you will be prompted to do so. DO USE; Phillips, RiData, Sony, TDK, Ritek G04, Verbatim DataLife, Verbatim DataLife Plus, media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO", Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Other media could cause unnecessary errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video burning. Now is defiantly not the time to put your, "Boy did I save money buying this crappy cheap stuff." in - )

Now we're going to rip this "Puppy" with DVD Decrypter. Open DVD Decrypter, lets get DVD Decrypter setup so it can read your DVD. Go to "Mode", then "ISO" then "Read". Now let's go to "Tools", "Settings" then go to the "I/O" tab and in the bottom right-hand side "tick" "Ignore read errors," then click OK". Under "Source" find the drive with your original DVD and in "Destination", since it's an ISO file it can go anywhere in your prepared folder. Then "click" the Drive to HD "icon" -

We'll wait for the "rip, the music will let us know when DVD Decrypter is finished :) Meanwhile, I'm going for coffee and a smoke - I'll be back when it's done ~ ~>

Sea that ? I'm back. Next, lets get DVD Decrypter setup so it can burn in the background after DVD Shrink has done its thing - Ya ready ?? Yea, I knew you were :) Right-o, in DVD Decrypter under "Mode" select "ISO, Write". "un-tick" the box that says "Verify". Where it says "Source", you'll leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file from DVD Shrink automatically. Lastly, where it says "Destination", select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it.

("Gee willikers Mr. Bill, I'm tired already - this is truly a lot of work." (Lol);)

Next, open DVD Shrink, you have the latest version of DVD Shrink so click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as "Custom" and set the size no higher than 4360MB - If your blank discs aren't the best, drop your size to around 4300MB. We do this to make extremely sure that our disc isn't too large AND that we're not burning to the very edge of the disc. Then under the "File I/O" tab "un-tick "Enable burning with Nero" then click "OK".

Are you rested now ? Super ! Now "click" DVD Shrink' s "File" and then "Open disc image", find your DVD Decrypter's ISO image then click "OK" and wait for about 30 seconds to about a minute while DVD Shrink "Analysis's" your DVD.
    Now, let's burn that DVD. Today we're doing a total backup, that's all the things on the original disc. There's no problem in doing this as long as we do not see any "Red" on the size bar at the top, right-hand area of DVD Shrink's program. (If you should see some "Red" there, on the size bar, simply "Un-tick" any foreign languages like Bovine Slobber Jaw, Saturn Ring Worrble, Director's comments or DTS sound boxes until the "Red" disappears.) With no "Red" visible on the size bar we just let the "Automatic" (Default) settings alone. THEN we select "Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter" .
    Now, under "Quality Settings", if it's SPEED you're after, "un-tick" the box which says, "Perform deep analysis" and "un-tick" the box for "Compress the video with high quality adaptive error compensation". This will give you acceptable DVD backup.
    If it's QUALITY you're after and have some extra time to spend, "tick" Perform Deep Analysis" before backup to improve quality AND "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation." There you may adjust Quality Enhancements. Practicing with the settings can produce even better end products. For a no-frills DVD's like "There's something about Mary" I like Extra Smooth BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects, I use the Extra Sharp setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :) If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original. Finally, where it says "Select target image file", browse till you find your created folder for your backup and click "Save". That's it ! Click "OK" and DVD Shrink begins the process that burns that ISO image to your HD. What that means is DVD Shrink then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.
    Don't use your PC for anything at all while it's working.

I'M NOT KIDDING ! STAND BACK FROM THE COMPUTER !

Hey, I've got to get going - I want to pick up a DVD to watch tonight from Block Buster's - Just give me a holler when you get done and "catch me up" on how it all turned out, OK ?

Kweel, Chat with you later -

Sea Yaaaaaaa,

When you need a guide with a fractured frontal lobe, shop ScubaPete :p)

Cheers,

Pete

Remember, hurry back, we'll be a-waiting for a full report -

Wild77, Ya see, I can answer the same question and use 2500 more words doing it (Lol)

14. Zenwarior

Zenwarior Member

Hey ScubaPete - Your the man.
    I just read this at work so I can not wait until I get home tonight and try this out.
    Last Night I tried my old proven way of trying to Shrink first, Decrypt later. It didn't work. I had to bring my movie back so I Decrypted first and thought I would wait until I heard from someone regarding how to do the Shrink 2nd. Now I know. I am sitting with an 8 gig file (Bourne Supremacy) on my hard drive.
    Everytime I tried to run shrink it would crash with an error I haven't encountered yet. It was very vague. Something like Shrink encountered an error. No I/O device crap, just "sorry - Can't do it" Oh well, tonight I will give it another try.
    I never really had a problem doing this. I downloaded DVD Identifier the other day and was wondering if it and Shrink would clash. I assume you have DVD Identifier on your computer so that shouldn't matter. I checked my startup.ini file and nothing was loaded that would conflict. Drag to Disk gave me a hard time in the beginning until I disabled it.
    Anyway, thanks a heep.

Zenman

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Actually, Drag to disc should never be installed, it's one of Roxio's worst octipus. My heartfelt opinion is that it should be removed and you should clean out your PC before installing Nero. -

a guide for Uninstalling Roxio and Nero,

We're here because you've probably had trouble burning that can be traced to our archenemy Roxio CD-Creator of one of his henchmen. The best way to rid our selves of Roxio is remove him through "Control Panel", "Add and Remove Programs".

After you've done that, I'm thinking you haven't gotten all of Roxio, actually you haven't, you need to run this -

Remove all types of Roxio tentacles and tendrils with Roxio Zapper –

Find it here: http://www.microadvantage.net/downloads/zapper60.zip

Once you've done that, reboot your PC to "flush everything out of your PC's system :)

Now, again, you must uninstall Nero COMPLETELY.

This will help you do a "clean" uninstall.

You must use all of Nero's Clean tools in order to do the job correctly.

They can all be found here:

http://www.nero.com/us/631940828445001.html

General Clean tool
    Registry cleaner and driver cleaner
    InCD Clean tool

When you reinstall Nero 6 DO NOT install InCD OR if you do, turn it off in msconfig (better to not install it) it can and does cause problems with other proggys

When installing and uninstalling programs it's a good practice complete the operation with a PC reboot. It only takes a minute, help it can, hurt it won't.

Whenever you're uninstalling a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even if it's not called for) to help "Flush" the program out. By the same token, when you install a program, it's a good practice to reboot your PC (even though it doesn't call for it) to help the "New" guy "Settle" it in.

Now that we've done that (I know it's a "Pain" but when it's done correctly the first time and all the steps are followed then we don't have problems AND we don't have to do it all over again.

IF YOU YOU DID ALL OF THE STEPS (and didn't skip just one that "couldn't possibly" make a bit of difference) THEN WE SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO - YIPPIEEE ! !

Well there it is if you want to do anything about it - Many, many here have and are burning fools now -

As always, the choice is entirely yours -

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  16. amaze122

amaze122 Member

I just discovered something very significant about this problem. I am using a Plextor PX-708A as my Dvd burner (when I bought it two years ago, it was the absolute fastest burner in its class, according to the reviews), and a Sony DDU-1621 as my Dvd player. Since the disc I was trying to burn didn't even [bold]have [/bold] copyright protection (Once upon a Time in America, with Robert Deniro), I refused to give up even after six tries, each time receiving that same error "cannot read from file "F"; cyclic redundancy error". Thing was, the sixth time, I put the disc in the Sony drive by mistake, I say by mistake, because until tonight, being a complete beginner to all this, I didn't know you could use a non-burner drive to rip a disc to your hard drive. Anyway, I started up old faithful Dvd Shrink, and it cut through the disc like butter, ripping it in a record-breaking 18 minutes! I then put in a couple of other discs that I own that had absolutely refused to burn and they, too, were handled with no problem. When I think of all those movies that I gave up on, and went to Blockbuster to obtain a "fresh" copy... Jeez! To sum this all up to a conclusion, this drive works just great, but apparently chokes on even a hint of scratches. Solution? I suppose the answer to these type of errors is have a backup drive to use if the first one can't get past the "cyclic redundancy" error. Good luck, and good burning. };-{0

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  17. zombieman

zombieman Regular member

Thats odd, I backed up both bourne supremacy, and the punisher without any probems at all. Used DVDdecrypter (prior verson) on both of them and then DVD2one. I burned them with Nero6. I Burned them both when they were new releases. Maybe they changed some copy protection on them on the newer disks? I still blame it on scratches from neglect however.

18. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

Ummm.......

back up the PUNISHER with dvdshrink and dvddecypter(prior version) no problem........

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

amaze122,

Actually it is always better to use a DVD ROM as it was designed to read and does a better job than a burner which wasn't designed for all the stop-go the reader goes through.

Since I always use my DVD ROM I totally forgot to mention it - nice call -

"There have been issues where playing your DVD on your burner opposed to your DVD ROM may result in errors during processing :-( "

The explanation was pretty simple really, a DVD ROM is designed to read and only to read and can do so quickly and easily and without effort. A DVD R/W must start and stop many, many times over while reading which it wasn't designed to do as well as a DVD ROM. On occasion, there have been reports of files only partially being picked up thus resulting in excessive read errors when being read by DVD R/W drives. The majorities of these reports came from the DVD XCopy Forum and were handled by Ireland who, if memory serves correctly, was the one who made the initial recommendation about reading from a DVD ROM whenever possible. Much more importantly, the constant starting and stopping that reading entails can cause overheating and premature failure of the DVD R/W drive itself.

Therefore it is heartily recommended that you read from a DVD ROM whenever possible.

and de ScubaPete's reason ~>

Using your DVD-ROM to rip from is easy and timesaving and lazy (de ScubaPete doesn't have to put down his beer to change discs). You place the original in your DVD-ROM and your blank disc in your burner and you don't have to touch anything until your backup is finished :D) (and my beer is safely in my grasp :p)

Sooo, use your DVD-ROM for reading and your DVD-RW for cooking.

As for the Punisher, no problem at all BUT for The BS, You had to have AnyDVD running in the background OR it is the only one I've heard about in 4 forums that wasn't copyright protected with Sony's ARccOS encryption.

Cheers,

Pete :)

20. flx2000

flx2000 Member

best choice really simple
    anydvd 4.4
    clonedvd2
    that's all you need