1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Movies on One Disk?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jriler, Jan 4, 2005.

1. jriler

jriler Member

My apologies if this has come up before, but I'm a little confused that the new film TROY has two main features about the same size (Title 1 and Title 5). I don't know if the two have different angles and that's the difference, but it's the only thing I can guess.

The film is too long to compress to my standards of satisfaction, but my question is: why would a DVD manufacturer put two copies of the same movie on one disk? Wouldn't it be better to put on one and compress it less?

But then there's another issue. The rate of compression for the entire disk is about the same as one of the titles, so it becomes more confusing.

Can someone tell me what's going on with the composition? Thanks!

John

2. flabob

flabob Regular member

dvd' from the theaters are 9 gb...and the ones we buy are 4.7 gb...so they have a lot of space to play with...as for 2 titles..usually 1 title is wide screen..the other title is full screen...

i use re-author..drag the title to dvd compilation..let it analyse....then i use the frame button (2 arrows)..take out the end credits..then do a deep analyisis.... here is a great tut i learned about frames and re-autoring http://www.dvdshrink.info/ i can get 78 % of the movie troy..it has a lot of info on it .. hope this helps [​IMG]

bob

3. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

Most often you can use the "insert still image" feature of shrink to put a still image in place of either the full or widescreen(whichever you don't want) and that should allow plenty of room to fit the menus and extras on the disc.

Here's a good place to get some different images to use...
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/title_replacements.php

4. jriler

jriler Member

I wish I could insert a screen picture to show you what I'm talking about. Although I wish the film had full frame and widescreen, alas, such is not the case. Title 1 and Title 5 seem identical. Both are widescreen, both are seemingly shot at the same angles (neither has "(angles)" after it and the main menu offers the option "Play Movie" which one can do with or without commentary).

So why would two identical copies of the same movie be put on one disk? To keep people from copying the disk in its entirety without a great deal of compression?

It's still a mystery.

John

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I read before a problem simliar to yours. They said to load it in the view tray and go to the end of the movie. The credits are in a diffrent language rather then english. It is the same size and both widesreen but the end credits are diffrent. That is what this other person cliamed.

6. StrikerX

StrikerX Member

Yeah I decrypted troy last night and also so the same thing. I also saw two in Shrek 2. I decided to re-author and just drag 1 of the titles. I then encoded it and burned with nero. For some reason the full back up looks sharper then the re-authored back up. Would this be because I did not use deep analysis?? The high quality option makes encoding twice as long, is it worth it?