1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two versions of the same game, one working, one not

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Parsaw, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Parsaw

Parsaw Member

Alright, alright, so I was burning a PS2 game to a DVD, right? Well, it worked. I know, why would I be posting this if it worked? Well, I tried doing it again, on another game, and it didn't work. I tested it with my swap magic, invalid PS2 disc. I compared the bottom of the working DVD, with the bottom of the NON WORKING DVD, and the working one was full to the brim, and the non working DVD looked like it was only half full.

They're basically the same game(Both guitar hero 2) Both of them with custom songs. I have a completely edited version of guitar hero 2 with ALL Custom songs(that's the working one) then I have a semi-custom version with only like..13 or 14 songs that are custom. the FULLY Custom version works, the semi custom version does NOT work.

I think it's due to the bottom of the disc not looking full on the semi custom one.

For the working game, I just used nero and burned the image by doing the following

1)Inserting disc
    2)Going to recorder - burn image
    3)Choosing the slowest possible burn settings
    4)Starting the burning process

I did the same exact thing with the non working one, and it doesn't work.

Anyone else run into this problem? Or know how to fix it? thanks.

2. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Check here at the scorehero forums for a better answer. And well, when you say you customized like 13 or 14 songs on the non-working one, do you mean only half of the songs in the game? Are all the songs on the working compilation different than half the songs on the other? I think you're better off checking each step on how you made the non-working one rather than inquiring about the burn process. Some songs are known not to work listed at scorehero I believe.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  3. Parsaw

Parsaw Member

Nah, it has nothing to do with Guitar Hero, Guitar hero just happens to be the one working, and not working. I've tried other games too, they do not work.

What I mean is, the game doesn't work at all. It isn't like just a few songs not working, it's the whole game not working.

I put in swap magic 3, i slide the card/key thing, put in the game, close it, and lock it and it says invalid ps2 disc, or whatever it says when the disc doesn't work.

4. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

My bad, I should have been more clear. Your non-working Guitar Hero game, the one with half its songs edited, are all the songs different than all the songs you managed to get working on your successful version of Guitar Hero, the one with all of its songs customized? If yes, that all the songs are different than the one you got working, it could be you might have did something wrong during the editing process rather than making the ISO improperly. Try retracing your steps and see if you might have made a mistake somewhere editing.

If one song or one thing is mistyped, the whole ISO will not boot at all.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  5. Parsaw

Parsaw Member

Well, now that I think about it, I think my problem is that I am not putting the files in the proper order when generating an ISO from them.

I think this because for Guitar Hero 2, you have to put the files in a certain order in CD/DVD generator, and I'm assuming you must do the same for the other games too. But how would I know what order to put them in?

[EDIT: I have had a semi success! I can get Guitar Hero 2 to work, and be playable, but I can't get any other game to work, still. I guess that means I'm semi successful. What is different with guitar hero? That's just weird that guitar hero 2 works and NOTHING else does.]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  6. schweet

schweet Guest

Could be that you need to update the firmware of your dvd burner, or your dvd burner is crapping out and is producing bad burns.

7. Parsaw

Parsaw Member

It can't be, cause Guitar hero works. =\ but I could try updating the firmware.

8. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

From rare to occasional occurrences, the PS2 game will most likely not run properly if the files are not listed in the exact order as they were originally listed when you ripped them. Make sure when you're using $ony's CD/DVD Gen 1.5, you list the files in the order you saw them listed as in the original ISO. You can check for the LBA either looking through ISO buster or using Expert Gnie's v1.05 tool. And for the updating firmware suggestion, you'd be quite surprised how well a burner can perform with an updated firmware like my Lite-on a buddy I know of thought was dead so I got it for free =P. Works like a charm.

At first, I thought your problem booting up Guitar Hero 2, the one not working, was mistyping something during the process of customizing your own songs; hence, why the copy did not boot at all or so I thought. Try updating the firmware on your burner like schweet said using the DVD Decryptor's or IMGBurn's firmware update option.