1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TY discs not working so well.

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by scuuder3, Mar 12, 2005.

1. scuuder3

scuuder3 Member

I bought some TY discs from supermediastore.com for 0.36 a disc. i don;t know if they are genuine or not. i have been having trouble with them. they do nto have the TY name on the disc anwhere. I used DVD Identifier and it says they are TY, but could they still be fakes?

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Supermedia is pretty reputable, so I doubt they are fakes. You should work on rewritables until you figure out the problem. It could have nothing at all to do with the DVD media. Is DMA enabled on your burner? Is your firmware updated? Are your ASPI drivers corrupted? DO you have other programs running while burning? Do you have the same problems when burning at a slower speed? I'd say bad burns are the result of user error as much as bad media.

3. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Exactly what kind of trouble are you having?

4. scuuder3

scuuder3 Member

well I am having pretty good success with DVD movie burning, almost every burn is good. But I cannot make a good data burn. I am trying to backup about 3 gigs of .jpgs. Every time I back them up with Nero, the disc fails verification.

Every 4th DVD movie backup or so fails verification.

Thanks

5. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Although these disks fail verification, can you still read all of the data/play the movie OK?

6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I have those ty discs your talking about, and ive burned about 200 now without one flaw.Im convinced there are authentic.

7. Kingd

Kingd Guest

scuuder3: What version of Nero are you using? The 6.6 version has been prone to issues and a number of updates have been released for it already. Check the nero site to make sure you have the latest update.

8. scuuder3

scuuder3 Member

the version of Nero is 6.3.1.15.

All of my movies play fine, but I only use the ones that pass verification. As for the data discs they appear to be fine, but with 4 gigs of .jpgs I couldn't look at them all. I did copy one smaller data disc and it wokred fine, but it actually had different files on it than the ones I thought I copied, like an extra directory I did not see on the C: drive but was on the DVD once copied.

9. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

If I were you, I would retreive some of the "coaster" movie disks that failed verification and play them through, particularly ones that almost fill the disk . If you can watch the movie all the way through with no skips or freezes, I would start to susupect that there is something a little wrong with the Nero verification. Try the latest version of Nero and see if your verification errors disappear.
    You just should not get this level of failure with media as good as TY.

10. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2005
  11. scuuder3

scuuder3 Member

do i have to purchase the new program?

12. Kingd

Kingd Guest

scuuder3: No, that's a free update.

13. scuuder3

scuuder3 Member

I installed the update and now I can't complete a burn. i removed the whole program and reinstalled my original version, but it still won't work. any suggestions?

14. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

i bought 200 TY disks b4 xmas... it was only after i had burned 100 or so that i realised that the playback was dodgy on a lot of them... turns out mine were fakes and now i have 50 odd movies that i cannot trasfer to decent disks... be warned...

15. adderal

adderal Member

where were they from...what did disc identifier show when u read them ...were the TYG01's ?

when u make claims like that , it is helpful to explain your situation throughly so other's arent 1) scared off 2) mis-informed

were these the same 'Value Discs' that this topic is referring too ? i didnt hear of these being distributed til around mid january ... i've burned nearly 225 of these 'Value Disc' TY's and all are flawless cept a couple i made ifoedit errors and were my own fault because of prep work or i was just learning to use Rebuilder/CCE to move on from one-click Shrink 'transcoding' and actually do real 'encoding'

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  16. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

sorry - i have mentioned this in a few threads over the last few months... i did get them replaced with some nice riteks in the end so im not too pissed off...

they were TYG02 if i remember right... and the budget ones were from the us i think - whereas mine were from UK... the dye was really light... which i usually take to be a bad sign - i seem to recall they were ust chepo disks with a TY MID code on resold as TY...

17. pieman

pieman Regular member

all the genuine tys ive nought from svp communications in the uk have a light dye.

18. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I know a guy from another forum, from the UK, and he said there are alot of fake ty's there and some even have the ty I.D.

19. pieman

pieman Regular member

Absolutely true.I bought some fakes from disccity last year, had the code the lot.Looked identical.Might as well have tried to burn a dinner plate.Only bought 25, so it wasnt worth sending them back.The brand 'Budget' are doing the rounds over here at the moment quoting a ty dye.

20. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Buying TY in the UK from anyone but SVP is taking a risk, it wouldn't be so bad if the price over here was not so high.

I'm really envious when I see deals reported by US members along the lines of "30USD for 100 disks", we currently pay 94USD/100 for real TYG02's.