1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TY media inkjet printable....

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by dvdauthor, Mar 5, 2005.

1. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

as some of you know, I just TY inkjet printable media - and I think it's great - however, I made something last night with my epson r200 and today, I moved my finger around the printed area, and ink residue was on my finger (and a slight smude on the disc) now, I let it dry from 8:00pm at night until 5:00pm the next day - don't you think it should be dry by now? one of my problems may have been that the cover was mostly black - maybe that would have something to do with it??

anyone else notice this? or have a solution.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

I also have an epson (R320)and use the TY's white inkjet (hub printable). Everytime I print a label on the disc using Epson's Print CD program I always receive the pop up "allow more than 24 hours to dry". Also being a mostly black cover would probably require more drying time. I been following that 24 hour drying time and haven't had a problem.

3. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

Keep in mind this is an "inkjet" printable disc....so yes if you pass your had over it evens days after it dries it will still have a residue...and dont even try touching it with an kind or moisture...it will smudge...many people have have been using a matte or glosssy clear sealer like Patricia Nimocks from your craft store or the craft section of a dept. store...some say the glossy leaves funny marks...i use the matte and it works fine...just have to ensure the disk is on a flat surface so none gets to the readable side.

4. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

Well, I tested another disc tonight and it was all different colors - (Mostly blues/whites/black) and after a few hours it was fine - no funny marks or smudging. The all black one is the one that got really bad - and I guess you're right, a disc that is mostly black needs more time to dry. Actually, the lettering is gold and so is the symbol on it - and that was fine when I touched it - so that answers my question. I guess I just paniced that these discs were going to fail in some way - the actual media is GREAT! The TY's actually have a more rough surface than my Imation printables - I also think they are more glossy than the Imations. The surface wouldn't have anything to do with the way the ink drys though right?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2005
  5. binkie7

The surface might affect drying time but I could be wrong - I have used TY's white & silver inkjet - they have a 'rougher' surface and seem to dry faster. The Ritek inkjet have a more glossy/smooth surface and seem to take a little longer to dry.

6. JLebowski

JLebowski Member

it will always smudge when you touch it with moisture. I use patricai Nommicks gloss spray and the results are awesome. It takes a few practice disk to get the technique down. The spray actually makes the disc look more professional and protects the image. Witht the glossy spray I can't tell the difference between my originals and my backups. It looks better with the spray then without

7. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

thanks - i'll look into the spray - i'm just concerned that it will in some way ruin the video - but it looks like a lot of people do use it.

(to anyone) do you preffer the surface of the TY's? or the smooth(er) surface printables?

8. binkie7

I prefer the smoother surface that Ritek has however I prefer TY's over Ritek so I'll stick with the rougher surface. They still look good. Try the silver inkjet - they give the label a somewhat 3D look.

9. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

thanks binkie7, I may try the silver ones...

even with the rougher surface, i'm extremely pleased with the video results and dvd recording reliability. (I'll take that over a smooth surface any day) I swear the picture quality during the video even looks better.

10. binkie7

I usually buy from Supermediastore.com but they don't carry the silver inkjet. I bought them from Rima.com.
    Prices are about the same at both places.