1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ty Media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by henryting, May 4, 2005.

1. henryting

henryting Regular member

Can anyone tell me if ty media dvd uses azo dye.

If not, what kind of dye that they used to create ty media?/

I heard so far the good media uses azo dye like verbatim datalife.

Any ideas anyone got any answer??

2. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

TY's own site does not specify the dye type they use, but I've seen product specs that say that TY DVD-R 4X and 8x (presumably TYG01 & TYG02), both use AZO dye. Verbatim also uses AZO, but it seems the majority of DVD manufacturers use "stabilised cyanine".

Both of these dye types have been used extensively for CD manufacture, but I have never seen the most stable dye used for CDs, phthalocyanine, used for DVD production. It may be that phthalocyanine is not useful at the wavelengths used in DVDR burning.

If longevity data is what you're after, then you may be interested in this study published last October by the National Institute for Standards and Technology :-

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/gipwg/StabilityStudy.pdf

Although DVDRs were included in this, the researchers could not get accurate data about the dye types used in their DVDR test samples, therefore most of the dye longevity conclusions are based on their CDR test results.

The crucial factor does seem to be the dye type, but the nature of the reflective layer and the polycarbonate substrate all play a part as well.

3. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

from my own research and as well as our great friend bbmayo, we have both concluded that ALL Taiyo Yuden media use the AZO dye~

here is the discussion we had not too long ago, he did most of the research and i helped him w/ a few details, he should get all the credit~

hope that definitively answers your question... have a good one.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/183986

4. henryting

henryting Regular member

Hi,

I bought a cake box of 25 fujifilm dvd which the buyer told me they are ty dvd.

I check with dvd idenifiy which indicated ty02. I understand that there are fake ty dvd disk in the market.

Can someone tell me whether the one that I bought was genunie or fake??

Anyone ideas???

I would very much appreciate if anyone can enlighten me on how to choose between the fake and the real ty dvd disk beside using dvd identify.

The dvd disk that used azo dye are normally very dark in colour?

This is theory correct???

The one that I bought was not very dark in colour.

I suppect that I bought the fake one.

Can anyone teach me how to differentiate bet the real and the fake.

5. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Have a look at the hub ring of the disks and see if there is a number printed there. All of the genuine TY's I have had have numbers begining with GD or GG and then 5 numbers, ie GG54637. I usually get bulk OEM TY disks that have not been labelled, and it may be that Fuji overprint this number during their rebranding process, but if there is a GD or GG number on the hub of your disks, then you've probably got the real deal.

6. MaxxOdd

MaxxOdd Member

Chances are they are real TYs. Most Fiji's that are MIJ are TYs. The ones that are made in Taiwan are not.

7. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

most retail outlets that sell the MAJOR brand discs you don't have to worry about "fakes"...people tell you about Fake TYs those are mainly online where you just have to trust the online retailer that they speak the truth, whereas, when you buy locally...ie. best buy, staples, office depot, compusa..etc...you get what you pay for.

i have hundreds of the fujifilm disc, assuming you got the made in Japan ones, those are def. TY. either TYGO2 or the YUDEN media id.
    my sony's are also the YUDEN coded ones, also made in japan.
    maxell's are the maxell coded ones i have, made in japan as well.

don't worry to much about your fuji's being authentic or not, they most definitly are what it codes out to be. you have to be careful of the lesser known companies that sell online using their own brand of media "claiming" it to be TY.

hope that helps, i would link you to the 1/2 dozen threads where i've spoken about this in the past, but, i don't have the time and i think higgsbsun has summed it up quite nicely. have a good one.

8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest