1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TY or Verbatim

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by bsvogt, Apr 13, 2005.

1. bsvogt

bsvogt Member

Hi, I'm new to all of this and I was just wondering about what type of media I should use. I have the Plextor 716A and right now I'm using prodisc...Not really liking them...I usually purchase from supermediastore. I'm wanting to switch media I buy the printable for my Epson R320. Does anyone have any suggestions TY or Verbatim. I'm just tired of all the bad burns. I went to best buy and got some Fuji 8x and slowed it down to 4x when writing and its working okay but I also spent $30 for a 25 pack of printable so I'm hoping to find somewhere aline to buy good quailty but reasonable priced printable media that works good with my burner.

Thanks, B

2. vatsim5

vatsim5 Member

You can't go wrong with Taiyo Yuden. If you do go with Vertatim make
    sure you get the Datalife Plus but TY are the best, in my opinion and
    the opinion of most others. Zeide.

3. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

I live in Canada, and one good place I have heard to buy media is http://www.blankmedia.ca

If you compare the price of Taiyo Yuden with other brands, they are cheaper sometimes, or slightly higher than other good brands.

So I say, go for the Taiyo Yuden...
    Get good media, and be happy !

4. kenneth1

kenneth1 Regular member

I have the plextor 716 an use nothing but TY and have no problems, I buy the inkjet printables from www.rima.com, great service and fast delivery

5. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

After doing numerous searches on wut type of media to buy, i went with TY from supermeidastore.com. Great price! Like they said, most people will tell you to go for TY. By the way, I got the media ID: TYGO1. Have read great reviews on them! Hope this helps.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I use both TY and Verbatum DLP dvd+r hub printables. Although they both burn and play perfect, the Verbatum scans are a little better than the TY's. I got the Verbatums from meritline and the media code is MCC003. I got the TY's from Rima and the media code is YUDEN000T02.

7. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i think depending on the media code, you really can't go wrong with either of them...i myself prefer the Taiyo Yudens, but, i have had no problems with the Verbatim w/ media id MCC003 either. the TYGO2s are great, i keep all my burns at 4x regardless. i also use the TYG01s (4x) from supermediastore, much like Sythetix, no problems with those either. i don't have a Plextor like you, but, both TYs and Verbs work great on my pioneer and sony drives. i feel supermediastore is pretty good priced, but, do compare with meritline and rima.com as well, since sometimes when they have weekly deals, they might be a tad cheaper w/ free shipping. good luck to you bsvogt.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

kivory666,

Looks like you need to upgrade your pc a little, not :) How much you got tied up in that bad boy?

9. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

well, i build custom comps as a hobby, used to do it as part time income, but, now i don't have the time for it; so, it's more of a hobby now.

hmm...in terms of $$ spent, i'd say in the general range of about 5 grand US dollars. i bought all the parts/hardware piece by piece...and just took my time putting everything together. i don't bother to list what i have in terms of video and audio, since it has nothing to do w/ dvd burning, but, those $600 vid. cards everyone brags about?...got dual ultras running on this particular rig.

feel free to pm me if you have any other questions concerning my setup, it's stable and pretty fast, it gets the job done, so, im fairly pleased with it :) have a good one

10. bsvogt

bsvogt Member

Thank you everyone for your suggestions I really appreciate it.

I think that I will try TY first.

B

11. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i was just about to post the same question. i've been using verbatim for a while now. recently i bought some 16x (i only burn at 4x of course) and love them. ZERO coasters! i was thinking about trying the TY 4x that are on sale at supermediastore.com for $23/100 disc. never used TY but am confident because of the rave reviews. i have a lite-on SOHW-832S burner, firmware VSOG. anyone have experience using TY's w/ this or any other lite-on burner?

12. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i heard that the datalife plus are being discontinued. but the newer verbatim 16x discs use the same azo dye technology. these are great discs although more costly than TY.

13. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@ fishbulb,

i use a sony dru-710a, which is in fact a rebadged lite-on, i believe only 1 model up from your version, it's the SOHW-1633S. this is my secondary burner, but, i use it quite frequently. as you can see from my other posts, i use quite a bit of these 4x TYs from supermediastore, purchased another 1,800 last month alone. i don't tell you this to brag or anything of that nature, i just believe in sticking with a product that works well for ME PERSONALLY. i have burned over 1,000 of these 4x TYGO1s with a few coasters that were a problem related with my firmware, naturally, MY fault; so, the others were perfect burns @ 4x speed. if you want my suggestion, i think you should be just fine with these too, others have said lite-ons don't like dash media dvd(-)r, but, i find that to be just the opposite with my own setup. while others may have problems with the dash format media, a lot of the problems do occur due to user's personal setup and configuration errors. my sony LOVES dash media and thus far have had ZERO problems with Taiyo Yudens in ANY rated speed. i also use 8x TYGO2's and YUDEN media codes...(fuji and sony labeled) both PLUS dvd(+) format, booktype set to dvd-rom and burnt at 4x. perfect playback and no problems. this is just on my personal setup, but, you should be ok since we dealing with a very similar drive here. hope that helps. have a good one.

14. vervex

vervex Regular member

With Verbatim you pay for the brand more than with TY, 'cause TY usually work a bit better, IMHO of course.
    Maybe some burners like Verbatim better and some TY better.. But you hear better things about TY than Verbatim.

15. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

thanx guys! i think i'll go ahead and get the TY's. does supermediastore have a good return policy in case i have problems?
    btw kivory666, i've only used -R media myself and have very few problems (maxell dvd-r) but like i said i haven't had a single problem w/ the verbatim -R. i also use +RW and have had a few problems on playback but that's to be expected w/ +RW. i tried a few verbatim +R (datalife plus) that would not play at all in my stand-alone. i changed the booktype to dvd-rom on one of them and it did play but i haven't watched it all the way thru for errors. guess i'll stick w/ -R.

16. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@ fishbulb,

yeah, we have similar burners and i have yet to encounter a problem with the dash (dvd-r) format. i naturally change all the booktype to dvd-rom because i can on the plus (dvd+r) format, that's one good thing about these lite-ons :)

in terms of checking for errors, there should be very few on the + format that you used and changed the booktype on. i use the verbatim dvd+r w/ MCC003 code and they all work flawlessly. people can start comparing between the quality of Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden all they want, but, when it comes down to it...it's whatever works the best with your particular setup and your standalone dvd players. i use BOTH, so i am not slamming either one, they are both great but it is just my personal preference to use TY more regularly than i do my Verbs. good to see you've managed to clear things up bro, happy burning.