1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TY -R 4X at supermedia and others, not Premium Grade.

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by chas0039, Feb 28, 2005.

1. chas0039

chas0039 Member

Ok, I have spoken to a buyer for a local DVD duping company and they have confirmed that the TY media we are looking at is called their Value Line product and is not the same as their Premium grade. This means there is a higher percentage of block errors. He also said it had been certified by his company as 4X media. He said it was not "B" grade but definitely not as good as their best.

So the general concerns about this being “too good” are true but also it is good enough for TY to put their name on as 4X. This explains why some of what we are getting is G02. I am still very happy with the price and the quality and I have seen a better burn at 8X than many other premium media, Verbatim included. So I guess you would burn at 4X if you want the best quality. If you like the scans at 8X, as I do, it still beats the competition.

2. vike

vike Member

What do these discs show for their media ID? Is it TY02? If it is TY02, are there now two different quality levels of quality for TY discs? I have set Media ID TY02 and TY01 as my gold standard for blank media. If that is not the case, please let me know.
    Thanks in advance.

3. pavement

pavement Member

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what is a DVD duping company?

4. pavement

pavement Member

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what is a DVD duping company?

5. chas0039

chas0039 Member

A DVD duping company is a company that sells dupicating services and equipment and supplies for copying CDs and DVDs. They were noted in another forum as a source for Grade "B" TY media.

The media code is TYG01 and TYG02. There is no TY01 or TY02 media code. There is a T01 and T02 for +R and there is also a TTG01 and TTG02 for -R. There may be more, but it appears that there are at least two grades for that which is advertised as Taiyo Yuden -R 4X media. It may be G01 or G02 but all the dealers I have seen are selling it as 4X. If it is burned at 4X it appears to have a near perfect burn.

As Taiyo Yuden has said they are no longer producing 4X -R media this Value Grade should not last for long unless they get lower quality batches of 8X G02 in the future. This last is speculation on my part.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  6. vike

vike Member

Sorry on the codes, my mistake. You are correct, I meant TYG02 or TYG01. However, am I correct in assuming that even if my taiyos read TYG01 or TYG02 that they still might be grade B media?

7. chas0039

chas0039 Member

vike, all the G01 and G02 I have seen that was Value grade (they don't like B grade) came tape wrapped with no spindle with a sticker that said value on it. I have to assume this is the way that TY keeps it separate. If you are just looking at the disc there is no way to tell from the media code or appearance which is which. FYI, the ones I have burn flawlessly at 8X (both G01 and G02)so I wouldn't worry. If you are concerned go to a 4X burn and you should be fine.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  8. aleitz

aleitz Member

If you really what to figure out your media info. download dvd identifier. I found out my memorex dvd+r 8x where made by ritek. So check it out.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

P.S. Memorex media is dog shit

9. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

So, TY do produce less than perfect media!

've not come across the G01 and G02 media before, but at least it's reassuring to know that they do have some "grade B" output, even if it does seem to burn as well as the premium stuff.

10. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Ya, I'm on my second 100 pack, all TYG01, all burned at 8x. All flawless, just like the several hundred TYG02 + and - I've burned. There's no way this stuff can be called B grade, since it's definitely, in my experience at least, better then the other B grade stuff like prodisc or infodisc. If anything, call it grade AA, where as the 8x TYG02's are grade AAA.

11. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

OK, now I'm confused. I thought that chas039 was saying that there are "B" grade TYs with the media code G01 and G02, as opposed to the Grade "A" stuff with codes such as TYG01, TYG02, T02 etc.

Or did I pick this up wrong and it's only the packaging that makes the difference?

12. kchev

kchev Regular member

the only thing different is the packaging. the media code and disc appearance are exactly the same as the ones rima sells.

13. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

So, when he quotes "G02" this is "nG02" where n can equal TT, T, or TYG? In other words, not just a MID of only "G02"?

14. kchev

kchev Regular member

here is a mid code from one of my 4x from supermediastore last week

it makes no difference where you buy them
    4x=TYG01
    8x=TYG02

Media Information
    Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer ID TYG01
    Format Capacity Not Formatted
    Free Blocks 411107328
    Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
    Book Type DVD-R
    Media Type DVD-R
    Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
    2x Speed OPC beta 08
    2x Speed OPC power 0F
    2x Write Strategy field 1 11 87 78 80
    2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta 05
    4x Speed OPC power 16
    4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 0F 0B 0B
    4x Write Strategy field 2 97 08 0F 0B
    4x Write Strategy field 3 00 00 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 05
    4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 1B
    4x Write Strategy field 4 13 A8 89 65
    4x Write Strategy field 5 B6 89 88 80 00 00
    4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

15. kchev

kchev Regular member

if i am not mistaken, codes like TTG02 are TDK codes

16. chas0039

chas0039 Member

This isn't that hard to understand but something is not getting through so here it is again

This media is not as good as the TY premium. By premium I assume they mean packaged in a case, or sold under a brand name other than TY. If you call it "B" or "value" or whatever is not relevant. All I have been told is that it has a potential of having more errors than their best media, but it is still very good quality.

This is the bulk packed TY -R 4X sometimes identified as "value" and sometimes not. Sometimes the an attached sticker says TY and sometimes not. The media code depends on what you use to identify it, but CDSpeed says G01 or G02. It says made by Taiyo Yuden so possibly some identifiers will add TY to the code and show TYG01 and TYG02. TY has no other media codes other than these two that pertain to 4X and 8X -R DVD media that I am aware of. TTH01, TTG01, and TTG02 are not TY; they are sold under a number of different brands: Ridisc, Datawrite, TDK. Value Disc, CMC, Khypermedia, Grade A Media, and Platinet. I am fairly certain that none of these are Taiyo Yuden.

So, these are sold as 4X and they burn very well at 4X. If you have a newer burner or if you get the G02s then your burner will very likely go to 8X or 12X if you set to Max. on your software. I have burned these at 4X and at 8X and they are great. Some have not done as well at 8X but so far no one has problems with 4X. Since they were sold this way, I have no complaints at all. I have never felt I was entitled to gripe when a 4X disc was less than perfect at 8X, no matter what the media code says.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  17. vike

vike Member

Ok, I get it. TY media codes do not reflect whether the media is "Value" or "Premium" TY product but in either case the media is still an excellent quality product vs. others such as Prodisc or even worse Power Matrix etc. and all the TY stuff burns well at 4x. Since my burner is a Pioneer 4x I should have no worries then :)

18. chas0039

chas0039 Member

I recall some older 4X Pioneer burners having life threatening problems when attempting to burn certain 8X media codes at 4X; something like total meltdown. Make sure you have current firmware before you burn; you might get G02s.

19. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Thanks for the clarification chas0039, it appears things are exactly as I imagined them before this thread began.

To be fair though, you do associate the TTG01 and TTG02 codes with TY in your second post in this thread, and then later contradict this.

So, it looks as though to all intents and purposes we have nothing to fear from the TY "value" grade, the only thing to worry about is the out-and-out fakes.

20. chas0039

chas0039 Member

Higgsbsun, I see what you read; sorry I wasn't clear. I should have been clearer from the start that TTs were not TY codes. Too much typing.