1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TYg01 from supermedia store...not as good as I heard...

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by daimyo, Apr 28, 2005.

1. daimyo

daimyo Member

no offense, but I got my 23$ 100 pack of 'value grade' TY 4X dvd-r's today, the 1st one burnt wonderfully at 8x (accident) the next one gave me a read error while verifying (burnt at 4x =coaster) and the following 5-odd discs are coming up with slightly worse looking kprobes than the ritek ridata go4 4x media I have been using on and off for a year...since everyone was talking nicely about them I was wondering what the deal is here.

I am burning with nero burning rom or dvd decrypter (when iso) and I have a liteon sohw-S812 which burns on regular Fuji TY's -r's 8x and Verbatim MCC's +r's just fine-ola... The firmware on the s812 is updated...and the lens is clean.

would appreciate some ideas, or just speculation, cause at this point,
    I am only going to be able to use these for givaways, not for long term storage.

2. na_tra

na_tra Member

Sorry to hear that. So far, I have no problem with those TYG01. Did you try to contact the manufactorer and ask for replacement? I did it with Memorex when more than half of the dics were defective. Memorex sent me brand new 50 pack DVD + R 8x. The bad ones were 4x only. No harm to ask for replacement of what you paid for.

Good Luck

3. daimyo

daimyo Member

hmnnn manufacturer or retailer?
    does anyone have contact info for TY in the united states?
    or should I just wrestle with supermediastore? I really hate to blow that much money on postage all over again, unless it's sraight to TY.

4. na_tra

na_tra Member

5. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

hahahahah...ur funny na_tra, but, i have to admit you've been very good at updating your posts and finds, for that i thank you.~ :)

anyways, daimyo, you are probably the 2nd person i've ever heard on here that has had a problem w/ those TYGO1s. perhaps you have a very picky dvd burner, i use 4 different ones for desktop setups and 2 different kinds for my laptops; so, similarly speaking, i have a lite-on as well, and for me the lite-on loves the TYGO1s even better than my pioneer or nec.

there is a small chance that you received a "Bad batch" of those tygo1s, however slim, the possibility is still there. from what i've read on AD and the experiences people have had w/ supermediastore's customer service, i have a feeling you are going to be very frustrated with them. but, as na suggested, might have to contact supermediastore for a replacement and be aggressive in convincing them to pay for the shipping, since it was a manufacturer defect rather than something user related.

best of luck w/ getting a replacement, i highly doubt TY will replace them for you, warranties and exchanges are almost always given through the retailer you purchased from, that is the best bet. im sorry to hear of your troubles with the TYGO1s, i have thousands of these and mine are pretty good.

6. kchev

kchev Regular member

I have used a couple hundred of these and mine also varied throughout the spindle. Some discs were almost perfect and some were not very good at all. But all of them played back fine. I also do not trust them for long term storage though. They are called "value" for a reason. I scanned them with Kprobe.

7. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I only had one problem with mine, and that was because I ran too close to the edge, got to set it back to 4300, but I have checked mine with VSO Inspector and no errors after 20 burns.

8. AtrophyG4

AtrophyG4 Member

Wow...I have used about 25 of mine so far with no errors other than what I caused myself. Hope it stays that way ::knocks on wood::

9. daimyo

daimyo Member

ok, well I have started the wrestle with them, I told them I would not
    consider sending them back unless I got BOTH my postage that I paid to have them sent to me initially, and also to refund the cost of the postage back to them. I am not taking this too seriously tho, just cause...lol

I am going to drop these down to 2x and see what happens...

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Just a thought daimyo,

Litey's normally perform better with +r media and besides you can booktype them dvd-rom with your litey.

Mort

11. na_tra

na_tra Member

guys, what do you mean by long term storage? Want to live to a century old like a redwood tree? Chance is so slim for you to go back those so call "long term storage disc" and watch them over again. ;-)

12. daimyo

daimyo Member

thanks mort. I will be on the lookout for onsale x4 +r's now...
    but those fuji TY's & ritek ridata -R's were doing fine really.

and mr na, I plan on living quite some time, what's with the negativity here?

While I don't expect the media to last forever, 10+ years would be nice.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005