1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TYG01 or Ritek G04?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Ghorticus, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Ghorticus

Ghorticus Member

I just wanted to know if there is a big difference in quality between the Ritek G04 discs and the Taiyo Yuden TYG01 discs. Considering that the Taiyo Yudens are twice as expensive as the Riteks (about $2.50 CDN each), is it actually worth the extra money? I'm only going to be buying about 50 discs, and $50 isn't that big of a deal, especially if I get a better quality product. I've heard that the Taiyo Yudens use better dyes and thus are more resistant to decay, scratches, and generally have a very long life expectancy (50+ years). Is this true??

I will be using this media with a Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW burner and burning it at 1X to further reduce chance of errors. I am going to be running the media on a PlayStation 2 V9 w/ Messiah 2 Pro. Like I said, I've heard that the Ritek discs are great for PS2, but are the Taiyo Yudens even better?

Thanks!

Brandon

2. raeme18

raeme18 Member

There is not much difference between Ritek and TY discs these days. I use nothing but TY discs and I am yet to have a problem.They work in PS2 and stand alone dvd players without a problem but some of the cheaper discs will give you a lot of trouble.
    Try Ritek and if you are satisfied, then use them.
    raeme18

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What do you base this on?

4. TL0

TL0 Member

If longevity is important, the TY discs would be my preferred choice. Their CD-R discs are the best available & the DVD+/-R discs are just as highly rated.
    I personally use TY discs for the important stuff.

5. raeme18

raeme18 Member

Oriphus
    I base this on tests that you can apply to discs with different utilities. TY are without a doubt the best disc you can get but over time Ritek have improved their production and quality control to narrow the gap between them and TY.I use only TY for any burning that I do wether it be CDR or DVD. I also wholesale TY discs so I suppose that I am a bit biased to them.
    raeme 18

6. ERICST

ERICST Guest

So where is the best place to buy TY?

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I've only ever tested a few TY discs, and honestly i cant see much if any difference over a quality Traxdata/Ridata/Clone Disc

9. TL0

TL0 Member

Oriphus:

How exactly are you testing your discs?

If you using the Transfer rate test in Nero Cdspeed, no wonder you can't see a difference.

All decent discs will give a smooth graph

You need a drive which supports PI/PO error checking to be able to see the difference between decent media.
    or even better an industrial level CATS-SA300 analyser like C't magazine uses for their media tests.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2004
  10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I dont use industrial tools like some magazines do, and i certainly dont use Nero CD Speed. I mainly use DVD Info now for analysing the discs, and believe me you can see a difference between a decent disc and a good disc.

11. Ghorticus

Ghorticus Member

Ok, thanks for the input guys. I think what I'll do is burn the games to Ritek media, and back up the archives to TY discs for longetivity purposes. I think that'd be the best solution, considering I'll be able to fit maybe a couple games per TY disc if I'm lucky.

Thanks again.

12. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Ritek seem like upscale DVDs price wise. Only Verbatim and TY are more costly.

Has anyone actually had any specific problems with the G04 Riteks? If so what kind of problems.

What dye does TY use that make them better than the AZO metal dye in other top of the line discs.