1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Types of media and dvd players

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by pikapi88, May 3, 2005.

1. pikapi88

pikapi88 Guest

I hope i am posting to the right forum. I apologize if Im not. I have 3 dvd players. I have noticed that certain burned dvds I buy will not play in one of them. The other two I can use anything. I know that not all players are compatiable with burned dvds. But the one in question will play some burned dvds. Is there a universal brand of dvd that I can buy (I am now burning my own dvds)and will play in anything.Or is it just a dvd player problem? .From the forums I have read that the taiyo yudens seem to be the best so I ordered some, and that ritek ridata are up there also.
    Rain

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I take it these are backups. You are right,certain stand alones do have trouble reading the dvd-r/+r/-rw/+rw backups.The same thing with different burners. They can have considerable variations on reading and writing those backups.This means some players and burners may be weaker.

Taiyo yuden is said to be the best,so If you can't get that ty backup to work in that one player,then it is usually the player or the burner.[bold]A format change can also help,if your burner is dual format[/bold].

What brand name and model of burner do you have?

What format are the discs you are using?

Does that one player have trouble with both your own backups and the ones you buy?

We need to know you burner model #. Some burners,like lite-on and benq,can booktype dvd plus format media to dvd-rom. This makes them more compatable on stand alones and pc drives.

I know where you are coming from,you want all 3 of your players to play your backups. I had this issue,but I have about 25+ stand alones,pc drives,and ps2's that play my backups. I got a big family and a lot of friends that pass my backups around,lol. I had this issue on 2 other burners in my spare pc. Putting a new benq 1620 and booktyping them to dvd-rom took care of that.Total compatability. The new burner or stand alone should be your last resort,but you can replace them for under $50.