1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U Torrent Porting...

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by wilux, May 15, 2007.

1. wilux

wilux Member

Hi I have a problem with U Torrent.
    Problem: Not getting my max download speed, Its only going at about 2-4 kB/s. The port im using is 49152, and u torrent's red light comes on indacating its not setup properly. im guessing that my port isnt set up right... I am using a ADSL Dlink 504g router, and it seems i have 2 ip's 1 is 10.1.1.4 and the other is 125.238.208.48. Now when i log into my router it asks me 2 fill in the following:

Private IP:
    Protocol Type: either TCP or UDP or both
    Private Port:
    Public Port:

This is what i put in:
    Private IP: 125.238.208.48
    Protocol Type: Both
    Private Port:nothing just 0000
    Public Port:49152

But U torrent still comes om with that red light, and the speed is stil slow...

Can anyone help? thnks

2. BluRay

BluRay Regular member

Is that particular port even open? Check it by opening uT options>Speed Guide>Test if port is forwarded properly. If it is not forwarded properly I suggest trying a port like 34456 or 32455 something like that, no 4k+ hankypanky.

And the torrent might just be bad, have you tried multiple torrents?
    Regardless I would like you to try out this torrent and see what kind of a connection you get on it, go and get it here OpenOffice.org download the torrent, run it for a minumum of 30 minutes, and check whether you get good results, check in regular intervals like 10 minutes or something, don't be silly and check every 10 seconds.
    If you get a good result then the connection is configured right, and it is just your torrents that are bad, but there is always a chance for flaws. BTW run the torrent AFTER changing you port.

PS: Sorry I could not help you more, I could post a whole long thing, but it is late, and I am sleepy. Sorry. If problem is still here tomorrow, I will post a better post to help you.

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  3. wilux

wilux Member

I changed the port to one of the ones u said and the torrent im downloading was %100 healthy also i left it for about 40mins and the speeds were frm about 5-12kBs. there are about 14 seeds & 39 peers. The red light is stil on...

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Use the same port at public and private port in your router and set a static address to use in case your router is assigning you a new one each time you restart or check it yourself to see if it changes: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm Pay attention to what it says about the DNS server(s) and Default Gateway being the same and only use the ip address you see at ipconfig/all. Some settings to use in utorrent are at options>preferences>connection, disable UPnP and set your port. At options>preferences>bittorrent, enable Protocol Encryption and allow incoming legacy connections but disable allow incoming legacy connections if it doesn't help but give it a decent time, say 1/2 hour. You can also enable both DHT options there but only for public sites. Do a speedtest and use the upload result at speed guide>connection type and check your speeds over a few days to get a good average. This is a good site and very accurate: http://www.speedtest.net/

5. isaac4130

isaac4130 Regular member

An interesting note, I have a dlink 504G, and had real troubles forwarding more than one port - I don't know if you already have one forwarded or not, I kept getting a message saying 'assigned port range is overlapped' - and ended up having to assign a set port range (like 10k-20k and then another at like 20-30k... it was weird, but got there in the end!
    Yeah just follow the above posts, remember not to skip the IP address step, go to the 'PortForward.com' link from uTorrent and make sure you select the correct version of your router, it has a really easy to follow guide on how to set up static IP & forward ports.

6. wilux

wilux Member

i went to portforward.com and The static ip guide told me 2 put in the following:
    Enter your computer's default gateway:
    Enter your computer's current IP Address:

i put in: Enter your computer's default gateway:255.0.0.0
    Enter your computer's current IP Address:10.1.1.4 but it could be my other 1 125.238.214.44. and the results were:

First Computer's Static IP: 10.1.1.136
    Second Computer's Static IP: 10.1.1.137
    all the way through 10.1.1.140

Is that right? aldo wht do i do nw?

7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

If that is the info obtained at ipconfig/all in command prompt - black window, then, yes, it's correct but is that where you see two ip addresses. I see two, one at port forward and one at ipconfig/all but only ipconfig/all is correct (for me). The guide will show you exactly what to do with the info from ipconfig/all at Network Connection. Use one of the addresses you get in the guide or the one at ipconfig/all and follow the instructions in the guide. You cannot damage anything and can undo any changes.

8. wilux

wilux Member

yes i have & its correct now ipconfig/all is showing my static ip great,the green light is now on! my speeds are still a bit funny. They are ranging between 10-20kB/s i ran i speed test at speedtest.net & my download was 1112kB/s and upload was 130kB/s what should i do now?

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Speeds on torrents can vary greatly, depending on the seeds and peers and the amount the peers have downloaded compared to you, their upload speed, how many connections, private versus public sites, etc., I have seen speeds between 10 kbps - 300 + kbps and that's on a private site. Also, time is a factor, give it at least 1/2 hour to get up to speed.

10. wilux

wilux Member

ok the speeds im getting are between 10-20kB/s thats basically over 60mins. My peers 48(816) my seeds are 29(140) still basically slower.

11. isaac4130

isaac4130 Regular member

Have you limited your upload speed to lower than 8kb / second? If you do this, your download speeds are penalized. Make sure your download speed is set to unlimited.
    Right click on the downloading torrent and set the bandwidth allocation to 'high'

Remember not to download more than one torrent at once, as this will also affect speeds.
    The torrent speed also depends on what rate the seeders are uploading their files at, and also how many peers are connected to those seeders that are sharing their bandwidth.
    If in doubt, follow BluRay's above advice regarding the OpenOffice torrent to check your speed - make sure you let it run for 30mins at least

12. wilux

wilux Member

I am getting good speeds with Openoffice i am getting around 60-70kB/s which is good, but my other torrent isnt...

13. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Those 140 seeds are sharing to 816 peers. If you had those speeds with 816 seeds and 140 peers, then I'd be concerned. If you want, pause your download to let more peers complete. Also, your connections may have their upload rate turned down on public sites.

14. wilux

wilux Member

oh ok so basically ive done all that i can do, itz just the torrents im getting and how much people are seeding?

15. mistycat

mistycat Active member

That's pretty much it; all you can do is wait or pause your download. You have no way of knowing what other people on that torrent have their settings at and there is no way for you to change things if you did.

16. wilux

wilux Member

Well ok id just like to thank every one for helping me out thank youz all so much