1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U Torrent with a Router

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by wilux, Jan 14, 2007.

1. wilux

wilux Member

Hi I am trying to configure my router to increase my speeds of downloading torrents via U Torrent.

My Router is a D-Link DSL v504g via Xtra Broaband.
    Client is U Torrent 1.6 and firewall is windows XP.

I want to know the ports that need to be configured and how.
    The Firewall settings- do they need to be configured and how.
    How do i find my static IP because i type in cmd then IP CONFIG and my IP is 10.1.1.4. To log into my router its 10.1.1.1. When i goto whatsmyip.com its 125.236.138.43. So i dont know which is which.

IP Adress: 10.1.1.4
    Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway: 10.1.1.1
    DNS Server: 10.1.1.1 and 10.1.1.4

Any help Would Be Great

Any help would b great

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

The port can be any one you choose that's over 10,000 and not the default. I use 34450 in utorrent so let's use that for now. Here's instructions for forwarding that port in your router: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm Just find your router here and click on it. In the next window, find utorrent and click on it. The next window will give you a step by step on how to forward your router. Here are instructions on setting a static ip address or where it is if you have one: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm Also, use the ip address you see at ipconfig/all if you need a static ip address. I think Windows firewall asks for permission to allow utorrent the first time you use utorrent. To see, go to start>control panel>windows firewall and open then click exceptions and you will see it. If not, just add it making sure it's checked. Edit: spelling error

3. wilux

wilux Member

mY ROUTER asks me for a private port AND PRIVATE IP what does this mean

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

That's the port you're going to forward for utorrent and your ip address you see at ipconfig/all.

5. wilux

wilux Member

ok now it asks for a public port. theres single,range or any, what goes in here

6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

In public port, add the same port you just added in private port.

7. wilux

wilux Member

ok ive done that ive also configured my firewall and added u torrent to the exceptions list but it still only downloads at about 12kbps. The green tick in u torren is on to. Do i have to configure anything else in my router like wan or lan options.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  8. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Not in your router, if you have a green light, you're forwarded properly. In utorrent: options>preferences>connection, uncheck UPnP port mapping and set your global download and upload speeds to 0, it automatically configures speeds for you from what I read and in options>preferences>bittorrent, uncheck both DHT references and enabe Protocol Encryption and allow incoming legacy connections. Also, bear in mind that it may take !/2 hour for speeds to increase, basically you have to download something to upload first.

9. wilux

wilux Member

Ok done all that but my speeds are still slow i went to test my connection at a website and my download speed was 378kbps but when i use u torrent its only at about 12kbps on average.

10. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Your speed is dependant on how maany peers and seeds you're connected to, peer to seed ratio, what their upload rate is, where the peers amount completed is compared to you and probably more I'm forgetting. How many seeds and peers do you see and how many of each are you connected to?

11. wilux

wilux Member

ok i have 49 peers and 28 seeds and im downloading at about 6 kbps & Upload at about 7 as well. Note my routers wan settings for my ip is set to PPPoE/PPPoA type do i need to change it to static or dynamic.

12. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Just the settings at port forward for your router are necessary. I thought you had already set a static address and as long as you see a green light in utorrent (does speed guide show your port as open, you shouldn't have one without the other but I did for a while), you don't need to change anything but the next time you start your computer, your router may set a new ip address and you'll have to set a static ip address and forward that or speed guide will show red. As for your speeds, of those 49 peers, how many have a completion equal to or less than than yours and what is the total # of seeds and peers on the torrent and, if you're on a public site, it's possible that a lot of clients have turned their upload rate way down or have very slow connections. Basically, you're at their mercy, so to speak. What is your download onnection on your isp plan? Even on private sites, I have seen my download speeds drop to less than 10 kbps while connected to peers and seeds. Bottom line is a green connection light is the aim and I know of nothing else that will help except time. Edit, you could try enabling both DHT options again but you can't use it on private sites.

13. wilux

wilux Member

ok about the peers i now have 61 i have 12 (16) seeders and 13 (61) peers im downloading at about 10-15kbs same with upload. yes speedguide says:
    Welcome to the ĀµTorrent Port Checker.
    A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 34450 on 125.238.20.14...

OK! Port 34450 is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections.

My ISP plan is
    Xtra Large Go: Download: MAX speed and Unlimited USAGE
    Upload: 128kbps " " " "
    50$ per month

14. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Those 16 are sharing with 61 people. To see optimum speeds, you should ideally have more seeds than peers (in total). Also, nothing to do with torrents but if your connection is Cable, speeds can become quite slow after school lets out or if others on your line ahead of you are downloading torrents as well. That's the main reason isp's are blocking torrents. Run a speed test to see where you are. This one is quite accurate: http://speedtest.net/ But, as I said, if the port shows as open and you have a green light, you're forwarded and set to go.

15. SamNz

SamNz Guest

ok im on same xtra plan as you the "unlimited" one and ive had same problem, before the unlimited plan came on it was fine 100-200kb download in utorrent but now i cany get much more than 25 xtra said they would be limiting p2p app and utorrent is one of them i geuss this is that limiting, but whats the point of the internet if u cant download masive files fast ???? anyway im happy and even angryer that its not just me FUCKIN XTRA