1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu freezes

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by vtowner, Sep 2, 2007.

1. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

OK i am running Ubuntu Feisty 64 bit dual booted with xp.

I have DVD-RB running in Wine but whenever i try to run DVD-RB or Deluge overnight it freezes. Every time when i wake up and move the mouse to check it nothing happens. The screen just stays black. I don't run any other programs while those are running. The keyboard freezes too because i'll try to press caps lock and the light doesn't come on.

Is it possible this is a hardware problem? I have already got new RAM and a new power supply, but i still have the same problem. Could it be my motherboard?

I really want to be able to do this in Linux cuz it's one less thing i need Windows for.

2. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

check out this thread.

3. deadlove

deadlove Guest

^^^^ but that isn't even an attempt at a solution to the problem... just pushing a misguided windows dependency on us again.. f**k that, as I commented in the link!!

I run debian and it seems to freeze up for no reason from time to time too. Have you tried disabling the system screensaver and powersaver functions? Mine crashes when I have far too many apps running and too many windows open on too many of my 12 desktops. It doesn't go blank screen, which is why I'm thinking it's something to do with the laptop/system powersaver settings (no clue where to find them in ubuntu)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2007
  4. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

if you read the thread it mentions a lot of people running into problems wit RB using feisty. I'm no pro, but if using edgy might help remedy your problem then I would give it a try.

5. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Ahh.. but it's not just when running RB.. torents and anything else are also causing the system to hang when it's left alone for long periods.

First place I would check is the most recent entries in var/log and see if anything is getting chance to report an error before it all locks up.

These type of faults are very hard to pin down, it could be hardware related, or a bug in an application.. even something as small as a mis-configured screensaver file. Sometimes they just go away all on their own. Saying that.. wine is notorious.. experienced full time linux users who need reliable systems avoid it like the plague.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2007
  6. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

Well not sure what it was but i reinstalled Ubuntu, then all my programs and it works fine now. According to what I've read, freezing is a common problem in Ubuntu Feisty. Not Wine specifically but in general.

7. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Glad to hear you got that worked out. I'm curious though, what version of wine are you using?

8. deadlove

deadlove Guest

probably Package: Wine version: 0.9.37 as that's the current one in the ubuntu 64 feisty repositories.

9. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

Nope, 0.9.43.

10. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Is there a misconfiguration in your /etc/apt/sources.list file, or are you using the upstream repos?.. then again. I know they did a pretty big update a couple of weeks ago. Maybe the ubuntu pages haven't caught up yet. that is (duh) unless you updated it yourself from wine-hq??
    whatever.. obviously something had gone crazy with the previous os.. happens quite a lot, some little update breaks everything else. Happened to debian 3 weeks ago.. some file that updated screwed with both the gdm and X11 config settings.. crash crash crash at random.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2007
  11. arcder23

arcder23 Member

what did u do to freeze linux....... i had linux 4 3 years so far n no freezing lol