1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu install in e-machine hangs

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by monochasr, Jun 26, 2007.

1. monochasr

monochasr Member

Due to necessity, I installed ubuntu 7.04 on a hard drive using a compaq computer, then removed and reinstalled the hd into an e-machine. Upon boot, after 5-10 minutes, this message appears: 270.489670 <0> Kernel Panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt.

Tried to install ubuntu on top of itself by booting up from an ubuntu 7.04 cd in the e-machine; the bios set to boot from CD. This failure happens much faster. There are a bunch of characters like a memory dump, last entry being 36.790182 Segmentation Fault.

The e-machine doesn't seem to like this O.S. change, is there some proprietary bios code that prevents this? This hard drive works in the compaq... nice clean install & update. I'm standing by with a soldering iron, ready to rip out that bios chip--- just give me the circuit board coordinates!

Really, any ideas? Its heavy enough to be a canoe anchor...

2. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Ubuntu often does this. I can't get it to install in any way on some of my machines. Try the boot time options like NO ACPI. If I remember right you press F2 for options at the first boot prompt.

You would have a better time with debian.. honest.

3. navskin

navskin Regular member

are you using the live cd or the alternate cd if you are using the live cd try the other.

4. deadlove

deadlove Guest

I tried the netinstall, the daily build, the server and the alternate.. the only one that attempted to install is a very old 5.1.0 which is a joke. it booted to a blank screen after messing me about for over an hour.
    It seems that ubuntu doesn't like dell machines.

Try seeking answers on the ubuntu forums.