1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ubuntu slow

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by hlp4me, Feb 2, 2007.

1. hlp4me

hlp4me Member

I need some help, I duel install windows xp and ubuntu 6.10 on my computer, every thing went well as far as the install go, but when I go on the internet with ubuntu using firefox it take about 30 to 45 second to load a web page, I had pclinuxos install for a while and had no problem with it, I decided to go with ubuntu, I use the live cd and like it, and now, I may go back to pclinuxos which I like too, but ubuntu seem more easyer to use, can some one help me figer this out.

2. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

A little tip run before any other members see your post. If you stick around youl see the opinion of ubuntu is pretty awful. I liked it but i uninstalled it because of all the security holes etc.

Probably if you like it go with pclinuxos

3. fulhack

fulhack Member

Hm, well, I wouldn't go about calling Ubuntu an insecure system. Keep it up to date with the built in means to do so (synaptic), if you dont't.. it will be sure to remind you to do so. It's an excellent system, and for poster #1, I would advise you to stick it out a bit longer. Now, a few things to try to find the problem..
    * How are the response times when pinging a site? Try something fairly local, like your ISP.
    * If you wget a document from a site, is it still as slow as firefox?
    * If you trace the route (traceroute) your packets take to reach their goal, do you see any abnormalities?
    * If you attempt to reach a site via its IP instead of its domain name, is it still as slow? (I'm thinking you may have DNS issues..)

Keep us updated!

4. ahrel

ahrel Member

I had this same problem when I installed Kubuntu last year.

It ended up being an issue with IPv6 which I found odd (since it worked fine in Windows). Even more curious, after Edgy came out I formatted nad reinstalled and didn't have the issue. I assumed they fixed it somewhere from point A to point B... perhaps not?

Anyway, the simplest route to see if IPv6 is affecting you, like it was for me with Breezy, is to type "about:config" into the url/location bar and hit enter. Then your configuration page should pop up, and in the filter entry box type in "ipv6". You should see "network.dns.disableIPv6" in the window there. And it's value set to "false"? Double click it, and the value should change to "true".

Close Firefox and restart it. (just a measure, it may not be necessary).

Let us know if that works. There's a much deeper way to do it, but I'd rather not send making changes to files you may not have to unless I know that I need to.

5. hlp4me

hlp4me Member

@ahrel

Thank a lot, I did what you said, and mann everything is pop up the way they should, I'm happy with it now

thank again

It was easy to do.

one more question, I've been on the site YOUTUBE and seen some demo with the qube, can you tell me what the requirement to do that. I'm thinking I may need a better video card or a driver for the card.

I have a ASUS P4S533-X
    Pentium 4 2.4GB
    1GB of memory
    GeForce FX 5500oc video card.

6. ahrel

ahrel Member

You may be able to run it, I'm thinking the videocard might hold you back from running smoothly but we'll see. Those cool effects come from Beryl/Compiz Window Manager, my system is a 2.8GHz P4c nVidia 7800GS and 1GB of DDR2700. It runs smooth on mine.

Since you have a Debian Distro (Ubuntu) installation will be quite easy. First, to check if you have 3D Acceleration operating properly, run a console and type in "glxgears". If it runs smooth you are running GLX or AIGLX (fancy terms that simply are just variations of 3D Acceleration, think of it like OpenGL or DirectX in windows).

If that is smooth check Synaptic Package Manager for Beryl. You'll want to install "beryl" and "emerald-themes". I believe it will automatically select everything you need when you select one or both of those. But on the off chance that it doesn't (I didn't make too much of a mental note about installing it).

Better yet, follow this Wiki-How from Beryl, or this one from Ubuntu's Forums

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  7. hlp4me

hlp4me Member

@ahril

I don't have a 3D Acceleration, I don't think my video card has a 3D accelerator, I run the "glxgears" in the terminal a small window pop up with the gears and it's real jurkey, when I maximize the window, the gears seem to be stuck and about a second or two it move and it keep doing that, now when I minimize the window ubuntu 6.10 goes to the login window.

My next step is to up grade my video card, any thought on what I should get.

Thank again ahrel

8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

@ help4me

With a system like yours you should have no problem with the gears. Check how your driver is being loaded (if it is, that you are using xorg and not vesa with your monitor set up properly) because on my p3 600 they are smooth.

464 frames in 6.0 seconds = 77.333 FPS
    420 frames in 5.0 seconds = 84.000 FPS
    420 frames in 6.0 seconds = 70.000 FPS
    420 frames in 5.0 seconds = 84.000 FPS

That's on debian sarge. Nvidia have some workarounds for 3d acceleration on debian based distros. I'd check the debian/ubuntu forums for specifics on your card.
    It's likely to be an ubuntu specific issue, update your graphics driver and check what processes you have running. If I can run beryl on an old machine with next to nothing (I compiled from source against my libs and hardware, editing things like graphics memory. TBH I can't see the point of it. It's pretty but what does it do that can't be done without major hardware outlay???) and old debian then there is certainly no need to buy new hardware.

p.s.. I still say ubuntu sucks. It's a resource hog. check processes and if you have 256 MB graphics ram operational. (I have 12 and it still just about works)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2007
  9. hlp4me

hlp4me Member

before we go any ferther, I know next to

nothing about linux, I guest I'm trying to

jump in with both feet knot knowing what to

expect, so forgive me guys, when you all

start talking about check this and check that

I'm at a lost, for example janrocks when you

say like editing thing like graphics memory,

I have no idear how I go about doing that,

there is one thing I notice my CPU is

clocking at 100% when I run the glxgears and

my browser is back to it old self loading

pages real slow again.
    I'm thinking ubuntu may have some issue with

my computer.

janrocks why would you say ubuntu suck, I've

heard other people say ubuntu have securety

issue, I go on the net using "IE6" to buy

things now and then and also pay my bills,

I'm trying to go linux and if that the case

about ubuntu, ubuntu is what I need to stay

away from right?.

10. ahrel

ahrel Member

@janrocks

Ubuntu is not a resource hog, KDE is, Gnome is nearly as bad; and XFCE is wonderfully light. But even still KDE isn't that bad, it caches / buffers memory until another program needs more space. It's pretty ingenious imo. (but its certainly not a characteristic exclusive to the ubuntu distribution)

@help4me

Don't sweat it, everyone's gotta be in your position at one point or another.

What you're going to have to do is going to get a little dirty with some files, I am thinking it's going to be your xorg.conf. Have you flirted with that at all yet? If not, it can be found in /etc/X11/xorg.conf -- which Desktop Environment are you using? Gnome? KDE, XFCE? I only ask because I need to know which "default" graphical text editor you have.

Before you do anything though, open a terminal (terminal will be your friend) and type: "sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup" (no quotes obviously). That will backup your current xorg configuration. If after you start toying around in there you try to restart your computer (or restart X) and it tells you that it can't find the display or something else dealing with graphics you can just copy the old one back over the one you messed with with "sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf")

And remember, linux is case sensitive. So /etc/x11 isn't the same as /etc/X11.

Now, in the terminal still type: "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf", if you're using regular old Ubuntu w/ gnome that will pop up a text box filled with the X configuration (the thing that makes the GUI work -- so that should alert you to how cautious you should probably be in here. You will want to toy with options and bust things but not until you get more comfortable).

Scroll down until you find something like...

Section "Device"
    Identifier "BFG 7800GS"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "RenderAccel" "True"
    Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "True"
    EndSection

It might say "Display Device" but the important piece here is the driver (and you may just simply be able to search for "vesa" when you first open the file). Mine says "nvidia" because thats the driver I'm using, ubuntu comes with the nv and nvidia drivers. Try the "nvidia" driver name first for 3D acceleration. Don't change anything else, we want to keep this simple.

Now, after you saved it and closed it hit CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE. That will restart your X server (the gui) and should then be 3D accelerated. Of course, it may not work, and you may be stuck in a terminal cursing my name. Just remember to copy the backup over the file you just edted with: "sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf" (no quotes). All should be well after that.

Let me know how that goes for you. I don't check this forum as frequently as I do others, but I'll try to be a bit more timely in a reply.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  11. hlp4me

hlp4me Member

Well guyes I decided to download Fedora 6 and in stall it, I still have the same problem with cube but everything else is working good so far, but like I said the commands I know nothing about, I guest I will have to do some studing on linux commands, the in stalment was quite easy and I like it, so maybe some of you'll can give me some direction as to where I can go and do some learn about linux commands.

12. ahrel

ahrel Member

LinuxCommand.org is a nice simple site to get started. By the time you go through all of that, you should be up to about where you may have been with DOS back in the day (if you are old enough :p).

13. hlp4me

hlp4me Member

I got one more question to ask, with all these different type of linux, are commands to these linux are different and how much different the commands are, so when I start looking at these commands, I'm looking at the one for Fedora 6, like I say, I know nothing about these commands, and if the different type linux has different commands.