1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UDMA Transfer

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by MRSIRCOOK, Apr 9, 2005.

1. MRSIRCOOK

MRSIRCOOK Regular member

how come after i refomat my comp the transfer between my c drive and other drives is ok, but after a while it eventually slows. even unzipping things on the main drive becomes a hassle, and takes forever. now on the other end, my slave drives in the comp trasfer fast and everything i unzip on them unzip quick....i understand that all the programs and everything running on the main drive may have some affect, but i dont think it should take this big a blow...keep in mind that everything on my comp is running perfectly, no viruses or trojans or spyware, im just having this minute problem...holla back

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I shall holla [bold]Regular Defragmentation[/bold] may help, instead of regular formatting.................

3. gizmobob

gizmobob Member

I suggest that you move the Temp/Tmp Directory to another partition or hdd. Also a good idea is to move your Swap drive (Virtual Memory) to a "Temp" Drive, so to speak. Limit your Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files to 80MB and move it to the Temp Directory in the Temp Drive. For instance, when I build a PC, and I've built more than 500 of them, I always partiton the HD 5 or 6 times. I put the OS and all utility programs (Anti-Virus, Firewalls, Win-Zip, etc.) on Drive C:. Then I put all other Programs on Drive D: (MS Office, Photoshop, AutoCAD, etc.), Drive E: is for only Games, F: Drive I make for the User files only, and G: Drive is the all important Temp Directory. In this Temp Directory, I create a Folder called Temp where I setup Windows to move all Temp files to that folder, including Internet Explorer temp files. The reason behind this is to limit the fragmentation to your OS drive, C:. I also create a folder in the G: Drive called Download, for all my Internet Downloads since those may contain malicious code. If a file containing malicious code is downloaded into my PC, I don't want it on my C: Drive.

The process to move your OS Temp/Tmp Directory to another drive is located in Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables... there will be 4 values that you need to change.

The process to move the Temp Internet Folder to the G:\Temp folder is in Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Temporary Internet Options -> Settings. Change to 80MB and move the folder to G:\Temp.

The Process to move the default settings for My Documents is to R-Click on "My Documents" and select Properties and change location to F:\My Documents .

To move your Swap/Virtual Memory go Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance Settings, and here is where you allocate 0 bytes for C: Drive and allocate whatever you wish to the other Drives. It's best to allocate between 1GB and 3GB on one or across several drives.

There are also other tools to help with your problem... XP Antispy, Startup, TweakUI/Powertoys, Spybot and Ad-Aware, Anti-Virus and Firewall programs are amongst the very best. There are lots of tools and settings that I have only briefly touched upon. Keep in mind that having your personal files off the C: Drive can reap it's rewards in the event of a fatal crash of the OS. Others will have their ideas that work best for them, so absorb the knowledge from all the ideas you learn from PC Techs and you'll be helping others too.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  4. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Good ideas they are gizmobob, what you say makes good sense, however I have never seen anyone goto such lengths to keep the maintenance of their HD down to a minimum.

The only thing that does popup is that the 'extra' work you are putting on the HD by having all these partitions, basically because you have got the swap file here and the temp folder there, doesn't that actually kinda emulate a 'defragged' state anyway?

I am not disagreeing with you, quite the opposite actually, afterall the most critical part of the PC is of course your root drive, and by keeping all temp/downloads/internet etc away from it then this can only minimise security intrusions.

Not something the average user would want to do I think, but I shall be considering it to see how good it is.

Thanks for that idea......................

6. haimback

haimback Regular member

i agree with baabaa good idea but maybe a bit extreme for your average user.
    I had the same idea to keep downloads/games/movies etc on a seperate drive - in my case it physically seperate drive.I got my O/S anti virus spy/adware on my c: (a 40G drive) and keep everything else on my other HD(120G).This may be a better solution for those not wanting to set up 5 or 6 partitions.

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Are the drives identical? Do they have a different cache such as 2mb and 8mb?

Actually what drives are you using?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  8. gizmobob

gizmobob Member

".. a bit extreme for the average user"?

Are you kidding? I just gave a half a dozen tweaks or so to help with the fragmentation of your PCs. I didn't say you had to do all of them. I'm a power user, PC technician doing everything from Cracking to Creating my own music videos. I am just sharing the knowledge that took 20 years to learn. Also, I was taught that if I ever wanted to graduate from an "Average User", I had to learn how to tweak my system, either learn it myself or from those more knowledgable. I am just feeding the intelect of those who want to learn and rise above the "Average User". When others have not done those suggestions I have suggested to do, I always hear the downside and negative approaches. But have you tried it and done these tweaks yet? Probably not! Read my instructions carefully and try it... go to that next level above "Average User", take a chance and try something taught to you from one who knows. If you don't like it later, then change it back. You can Partition any drive into any size using a program like Partition Magic. You can use separate HDs if you wish. Your HD is like a gigantic File Cabinet... why would someone buy a File Cabinet with one humongous drawer? Break down your HD into managable segments depending on what it will be used for. Every PC I have ever built is created with the same format. I have PCs all over this Continent with the same basic HD configuration even for the most basic user. Here is an example of what I have allocated on one of the 4 PCs I own. Even my laptop has the 5 partition format as detailed on my HDD-0 below.

HDD-0 (120GB)
    - C: (WINXP)12GB (Only for the OS and Utilities)
    - D: (APPS)8GB (Only for Applications and Programs)
    - E: (GAMES)15GB (Only for Games)
    - F: (USER)15GB (Only for personal files, My Documents, etc)
    - G: (TEMP)66GB (Downloads, Music, Temp/Tmp, Internet Proggies)

HDD-1 (250GB)
    - H: (IMAGE)250GB (Used for Storage and Misc Editing)

HDD-2 (80GB)
    - I: (MOVIES)80GB (Used for Burning/Converting Movies)

HDD-3 (300GB)
    - J: (VIDEOS)300GB (Used for my 2000+ Music Video Library)

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i wouldn't partition into 5 partitions for the average user as i normally do as 1 & i have computers as far north as bracebridge, ontario down to florida. on my 160gig hd, it is partitioned in 2, c:40gig & d:120gig.

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

They are called “folders” in that humongous file cabinet as you call it and very well organized. [edit]

Isn’t it amazing how all of us geeks ever managed to handle our PC’s without doing something as antiquated as doing that many partitions? We just add two or three actual HDD’s and backup daily with Ghost programs incase of a crash to either our external HDD’s, another internal or both such as myself.

How about 2mb-50mb on c: If you do put the file elsewhere, (other then HD device 0,) you should leave a small amount on C: - an initial size of 2MB with a Maximum of 50 is suitable - so it can be used in emergency with the ability to create a dump file in case your system BSODs on you!

Just defrag another device other then “0” and set the paging file 3 times your memory with a minimum and maximum the same so that Windows doesn’t constantly change the size back and forth and do not spread it across several drives since it serves no purpose.

[edit] Removed this last paragraph after reading baabaa’s comments below and agreed with where this thread was going with my additional comments. Besides, I can always add later... <G>

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  11. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Well gizmobob, I was not actually picking holes in your statement, but if you wish to post your resume, then be my guest.

You have a wealth of experience.........according to your self, therefore you must understand - others do not pocess that experience.
    So by aproximation, what you are describing is probably a little far ahead for the average user.

I was merely pointing out the fact that mr/mrs average are not interested in partitioning drives or have the inclination to go to those extremes.

I think you need to re-read the posts because obviously you feel the need to persue your glorious methods, rather than discuss the topic in hand.

Why do PC manufacturers not partition their drives like you suggested - answer, because the average user will not comprehend what is going on.

Lets keep the thread on topic, cos I can see where this is heading.....

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

MRSIRCOOK

Repeating my first post:

Are the drives identical? Do they have a different cache such as 2mb and 8mb?

Actually what drives are you using?

13. gizmobob

gizmobob Member

@Baabaa
    My post wasn't just for "Mr and Mrs Average"... it was for anyone who would like to know how to limit the fragmentation caused my Microsoft's Operating System over time (Topic of Post). You are right Baabaa, just Defragment will suffice for the all the sheep that come here. I hope I didn't overstep my boundary's by teaching something... for that I apologize. I never implied the instructions I gave were strictly for an "Average" user... it's for any user who wants to learn. As for the comment on "Keeping the thread on topic...", I was. I displayed many ways to solve his fragmentation problem, albeit, not for your "Average" user, according to you. I did not intend the info only for your self-proclaimed Mr&Mrs. Average. I never said it was for newbies either. No need to criticize me or my post again. I was just trying to help someone who may have wanted more than a one word answer, (defrag). Again, I apologize for spending the amount of time it took to teach something so useful and helpful. I guess the proper answer to Mrsircook (Mr. Average) is to just Defrag as baabaa so eloquently stated.

Bob

14. baabaa

baabaa Active member

You have me all wrong my friend.

I am the last person to mock others solutions/suggestions.

Your suggestion is an excellent one, something I shall be trying myself, in fact you may be receiving a pm from me about it.

If you want to keep things organised and maintained then what you said is a [bold]really good idea[/bold]
    I am glad that I have had the opportunity on this forum to read it, as I do consider myself, slightly higher than the average user, and ideas like the one you stated, really interests me, not in terms of becoming a power user, but in terms of learning new ways to maintain your PC, and your suggestion by far is a logical idea and obviously works very well and something that (I know is relatively simple to do).

I can be a 'little frank' (little wendy at the weekends...LOL) and sometimes it can be misconstrued into something quite the opposite.
    For this I apologise...................

Topics are fast going off topic all the time, and we can only assume a 'certain' level of experience with users, I just thought your idea may have been a little advanced for the original poster, if I am wrong, my hands are held up and I await my punishment - I do prefer whips and rubber wellingtons............LOL

I hope this has cleared up any misunderstanding...................

You have nothing to apologise for..................

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  15. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

@ ScubaBud
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1590&page=10

The link provided recommends that for memory over 512MB that the page file be a 1 to 1 ratio. What is your opinion?

@ ALL
    I was interested in optimizing my boot files and ran across Bootvis.
    A good idea from Microsoft, but it will not work on my system. Maybe because of the RAID O setup.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1590&page=30

Edit F'd up the link to Newbie Essentials! I am a dumb ass at 4 in morn!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  16. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Noqoilpi

Windows will only use what it needs so as long as you have the HD space, (and once you have a clean, defragged drive to set the page file up correctly on,) it will be fine. Other sites use the 3X rule for the most part. Below is a jpg of how this PC I am using now is set up. This PC has a gig of PC3200 on it and I have it set to 3X’s as well. Also thanks for posting that second link. I would just like to add that if anyone does have the Intel Chipset that will work with Intel's Application Accelerator it really isn't much of a speed benefit, maybe 2-5% if that, and they might get confused with the fact that they will not see their DMA or PIO settings any longer since the advance tab will not be there once the Intel program is loaded.

[​IMG]

17. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Sheep? So I am sheep now? I have never had the need to partition, never will either. I really do not see the need to.
    I regularly de-frag, adaware, spybot, Asquared my PC. It is still as fast as ever. Go with what you are happy with.

Just don't call us sheep!!!

Pulsar

Some may take offence.

I only slightly did, but I am big enough to let if waft over my head!!! LOL

18. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Heehee, my seed has been sown, and now standback as 'the sheep' take over the world.....................move over George Bush......it is our time now.................LOL

19. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

20. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Noqoilpi

That last link is exactly what I spoke about before and if you look at my setup, it is what they suggested. I have two page file systems, one small one on drive C: and the larger one on drive F:.

If you look at that picture look at C: and notice that I've set it to 2MB and 50MB.
    The main page file, (or second page file,) is on my F: drive and it's set to a min and max of 3072 MB.

Windows will always use your RAM first before it gets into the virtual memory. Just remember that Windows can't use what it doesn't have and if you set it low, and both min and max are set to the same, Windows might be limited. I agree with you on the fact that one usually never gets into much of the virtual anyway if they have enough RAM to begin with, but since this, (Page File,) is set just one time hopefully, and if you have the space on your HDD, (only talking up to 4,095MB,) nothing will be hurt by setting it a bit larger in case of a big multi-tasking effort at one point or another. Like your link suggests, "up to maximum limit of 4,095 MB."

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005