1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ugh, my gamecube does nothing when i put a game in, and no i do not have a viper chip.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by xboxthug, Mar 19, 2005.

1. xboxthug

xboxthug Guest

please help any one, when ever i put a real game in my gamecube, it does absolutly nothing, when i power it on, it laods the menu, and i can select all the options, however, when i gamedisk is inserted, normally ui would open up the game tab, and selecet to play the desired game, but all thats there is a "?" mark. btw i am an experienced xbox modder, so if any thing needs to be done, including soldering then it shall be done.

2. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

the only thing I can think of is that the laser motor is dead since that's the screen that comes on if there's no disc inside. can you hear if the motor is running and if it's trying to read the game at all?

3. xboxthug

xboxthug Guest

ok i connected the wire from the bottom of the board,
    ok im cubenoob, any ways, there is th yellow wire connectd, so i just did that, and now my gamecubes laser turns on red, but clikcs really loud for like 20 secs then turns off, can yah help me with this one.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=372746

my name is cubenoob

4. Quezacotl

Quezacotl Regular member

Did you still changed the Ohm value? That may be the problem, change it back, 250ohm is good if you dont remember where it was.
    Or you just enlarge(is that right wording) normal sounds.

5. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

it sounds like what my modded cube sounds like sometimes when I'm trying to load a backup. Like Quezacotl said, you may need to raise your POT value. If you're cube isn't modded then there's no reason to have it below 200, so if it's above that you should be fine. But remember that after you adjust the pot, every month or so you may want to recheck it since it's prone to lower on it's own.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  6. Quezacotl

Quezacotl Regular member

How it could change resistance itself? :D Only thing that moves there is dust and electricity.

7. xboxthug

xboxthug Guest

ok i feel s stupid, i finaly found out what was making that clicking noise, the laser wasnt allind and it came off the track, so i re allined and my cube works great, thanks for all that helped me durring this time of need and crisis (lol need and crises) (this isnt 9/11 or tsunami victims) any way thanks to all for the help

8. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

It does; I don't know why..my guess is probably because it's so sensitive. This isn't just my opinion; it's a well documented fact. Do a search on here or maxconsole and you'll find something on it. If you still don't believe me, adjust your laser, remember the reading and do a reading a month later and it will be significantly lower.

No problem. I'm glad it all worked out for you:)

9. SyCoVeNoM

SyCoVeNoM Member

Resistance changes with temperature. The hotter electronics are the more resistance there is. The colder the equipment is the less resistance there is. and in working with pots alot for some reason the varriance changes more than with normal resistors but I think it has something to do with the internal plates warping a little bit

10. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

why would the internal plates warp more often just from adjusting the POT?

11. SyCoVeNoM

SyCoVeNoM Member

sorry I meant they warp a lil more from temperature varriances like say if a pots temp changes from 40 degrees to 80 degrees farenheight the resistance might shoot up a few percent higher than when you set it. It also depends on the quality of the potentiometer I've used very low quality and had drastic changes in ohms and I've used very high quality percise ones that had almost no change. Its part of the general characteristic of the pot and is usually listed on a spec sheet from the manufacturer.
    and thats just how it could change I doubt nintendo would use a cheap ass pot that would vary greatly at most it prolly goes up and down by 10 ohms so it would be considered negligable. :D

and sorry about forgetting some of the last post was half asleep when I wrote it and forgot a few things

12. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

Thanks for the info. I haven't seen anything about why POT changes over time so it's a great contribution to the GC community:)